rllmuk
JohnC

The Boys - Amazon superhero show

And done. Brilliant from start to finish. I've gone back and read this thread, and am surprised at some of the comments about Hughie. Honestly, Quaid was brilliant throughout, his

Spoiler

gay talk with Ezekiel

was fucking hilarious. 

Homelander is both fucking terrifying and supremely entertaining in equal measure. All the characters are human, they have depth, they're not one-dimensional. The writing also was really fucking good at times. 

Hell of a show, can't wait for season 2.

• Upvote 7

Homelander alone in this makes something like Brightburn look incredibly tame. It's an interesting point of comparison for where Brightburn falls down: in that he's just a kid who gets angry and out of control, but Homelander is a more genuinely evil depiction of a Superman-like character. The sense of threat from him is beyond anything Marvel or DC films or series have ever managed, with the possible exception of Kingpin in Daredevil. And no, Thanos, as enjoyable as he is, is definitely not up there.

Overall, enjoyed this very much, however, I was also concerned about:

On 28/07/2019 at 10:42, jonamok said:

That scene (predictable as it was) and it’s build up are the only tonal bum note so far (Ep4) for me:

Reveal hidden contents

In Ep1 The Deep is a rapist. By Ep3 he’s heading towards comic relief. By Ep4 he’s a clown, figure of fun, someone we’re almost being asked to feel some sympathy with. Rapist, remember.

Edit: Having finished it now (it’s amazing) I can see what they were trying for with

Reveal hidden contents

The Deep gradually paying for his crime with the public apology and then the random girl ‘violating his gills’ - never thought I’d type that - but his whole arc was a bit sordid and shit and tonally different to everything else. They should have found a better way to do that.

But my reading of this was that:

Spoiler

I thought they were basically just trying to go all-out to show him for the pathetic piece of shit he was. The bungling and "humour" around his situations felt very much intended to de-power him and show him to be the complete waste of space he was. I agree there was a danger there that it might look like we're supposed to sympathise with the rapist, but I think the intention there seemed to pile on how pathetic a creature he is in order to show up how mundane and awful someone who commits such an act can be - by allowing him to be a more menacing figure it could risk "glamorising" such a character, which is very far from the truth when such acts are more often perpetrated by people who would seem otherwise mundane, but have just used a position of power over others to get what they want. It was perhaps a little ham-fisted in how it essentially amounted to just piling shit on him as retribution, but I think the way it just essentially depicted him as basically a mundane, pathetic, common or garden asshole was pretty believable and closer to the truth as to how common such a person who gets away with that can be. I might be very off the mark with this, but that is at least what I think they were trying to go for.

• Upvote 3

I agree with your take, it was just poorly done, and in hindsight the original assault felt wholly unnecessary for either characters’ arc.

I loved this which was a nice surprise as the trailer put me off it as it seemed so grim but there's so many light hearted scenes to balance the darker elements. 

Is there any credence to Homelander’s reason why he couldn’t alter the plane’s course? This didn’t really ring true for me, assuming he has the ability to propel himself through the air and alter his own direction?

Just finished this. Wow. Truly superb TV. I wasn't going to watch it at all but found myself with nothing to do a few weeks ago and started watching it knowing absolutely nothing about it.  At first, I thought the swearing and adult themes were a little forced but it's actually what makes it so good. Like everyone in this thread, I agree that Homelander is the perfect villain and a complete shit - utterly terrifying.

I didn't particularly understand what the point of Black Noir was as all he did was 

play the piano but I've read the comic wiki and I understand what he is for even though he literally does nothing at all in the TV series

I loved the whole thing and not a single episode dragged or felt out of place - that's unusual given the format.  Even Breaking Bad has the odd slow episode.

Hopefully in Season 2

That's end of A-Train, really didn't like his character and The Deep was also a complete prick.

I thought Urban's accent was brilliant - who cares what he's trying to do, I love him in everything.

RE: the ending

I think Becca basically consented and Butcher's entire purpose is misguided and just revenge.

Not sure what they can do with another season but I'm definitely looking forward to watching more of evil Homelander.  If only Marvel could do villains like that.  Just briefly read the Wiki pages on the comic. There's lots of characters and material.

3 hours ago, neoELITE said:

Not sure what they can do with another season but I'm definitely looking forward to watching more of evil Homelander.  If only Marvel could do villains like that.  Just briefly read the Wiki pages on the comic. There's lots of characters and material.

Obviously...

Spoiler

Butcher and co become 'supes' via compound V.. I was going through the season almost betting that would be the last shot. I guess I was wrong. 

There's enough to his performance that he could also just be messing with Maeve when he said that as well.   Top stuff.

On 13/08/2019 at 16:46, Popo said:

Is there any credence to Homelander’s reason why he couldn’t alter the plane’s course? This didn’t really ring true for me, assuming he has the ability to propel himself through the air and alter his own direction?

I assume if you're trying to keep physics (on the plane at least) reasonably realistic, then the issue is the surface area of a person vs the structural integrity of a plane.

He might be able to apply enough force to stop/carry etc a plane, but he can't apply it to ~enough~ of the plane at once to distribute the force and stop it tearing apart..

Superman Returns touches on this in it's crashing plane sequence.. he grabs the plane by its wing, which then promptly tears off.. he ends up slowing it by pushing against the nosecone, but realistically, his hands would be applying so much pressure onto such a small area he should have gone right through the nose instead of it just buckling slightly..

(The comics make up some bullshit about him being able to extend a bio electric field out to help reinforce something he's trying to catch/protect someone/thing he's carrying at high speeds etc..)

I don’t think it was the integrity of the plane. I can’t remember the phrasing, but didn’t he say something about not being able to lift it because he isn’t standing on anything while

flying? I’m not really sure how that works. He only as so much flying force and lifting more than a couple of people or whatever goes beyond that?

Yes he definitely says he can’t do anything because there’s nothing to push off of, and yet he seems able to propel himself with some kind of force through the air without the same requirement.

I mean, the effects of gravity alone would mean he must be applying constant force to stay up, he’s not exactly aerodynamic. 

@MDY your explanation makes a lot more sense though, if only the writers had thought of that! I love being a geek. 

I always liked Starr on Banshee but this is a real star-making turn, spot on performance of a total sociopath. It's the little details like that fake smile he puts on when he needs to be in PR mode. Perfect. 

• Upvote 1

Season two coming soon?! Didn’t this just go up the other week?

Im not complaining, I just hope Amazon don’t try to get this out too quickly and compromise the creative process as a result. 

Finished this last night and was gutted that there was no more to watch. Best version of bad/human superheroes I’ve seen and pretty chilling when Homelander is effectively a mad god amongst men and even amongst the 7.

My only gripe with the show is Karl Urban’s performance which just seems so comic as he has dialled it up to far, which when coupled with his OTT dialogue just makes him a comic character.

On 14/08/2019 at 00:45, yakumo said:

Homelander is so much better done in the TV series than the comic. 

I had a brief look at the comic and there's nothing really there that interests me. The show seems to be a very different take on things.

11 hours ago, Popo said:

Season two coming soon?! Didn’t this just go up the other week?

Im not complaining, I just hope Amazon don’t try to get this out too quickly and compromise the creative process as a result. 

It was renewed a couple of months before airing. Doubt it’s coming out anytime soon though.

23 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I had a brief look at the comic and there's nothing really there that interests me. The show seems to be a very different take on things.

I got them all in a Humble Bundle and am enjoying them, but the show has improved on the source material in a huge way. Starr is incredible in this.

I'd definitely recommend the comics to anyone with a few caveats (basically "Beware: contains Garth Ennis") but they're definitely not subtle in a lot of ways (but surprisingly are in others). Vague, I know.

Also if people are enjoying The Boys read Irredeemable. I recommended this either earlier in the thread or in the Brightburn thread but it's another excellent comic that had a spin on trad super hero stories.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Also if people are enjoying The Boys read Irredeemable. I recommended this either earlier in the thread or in the Brightburn thread but it's another excellent comic that had a spin on trad super hero stories.

Oh man I loved Irredeemable. Recently reread it. Wonderful story. Great, original superheroes and villains. Not funny like The Boys, but not trying to be.

• Upvote 1