The Boys - Amazon superhero show

23 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Maeve showing up with that

Reveal hidden contents

chocolate bar was one of the most ridiculous contrivances I've seen.

Spoiler

I thought she had showed up on purpose to free stardust and came equipped.

13 hours ago, PK said:

I wonder if it's someone from the

Reveal hidden contents

"Scientologists". They killed the guy who was going to replace A-Train, and basically ensured The Seven's continued existence by killing Vogelbaum, meaning both the Deep and A-Train could potentially return to their slots, but now furthering the church's interests?

One thing I'm not clear on from that episode is

Reveal hidden contents

Is Black Noire dead? Because it shows Maeve just casually sitting at the hearing after trying to kill him with an Almond Chew

Quite possibly. If it was Vought, then it was an act of sheer desperation as they will look highly suspicious right now. 

Spoiler

I can totally see the church of the collective both saving and somewhat fucking Vought over in the same breath, though. It feels like, as Vought is making inroads into the U.S government, then the church is trying to do the same with Vought by filling the Seven with its ‘flipped’ heroes. I don’t think they’ll be able to hold onto A-Train, though, as he’s just enough of an independent thinker to be hazardous to them. 

Pretty sure Black Noir isn’t dead, but he could certainly be in a bad way. Depending on how long his anaphylaxis lasted for he could have some organ damage. It’s not clear that he’ll know who did it, though. Maeve choked him from behind and by the time she talked to Starlight he was already in shock. Any memories of the event could be shot to shit. Tbh, I think from a writing stand-point it was decided he’d had enough screen time this season, but we needed a reason for him to be absent from whatever ruck will be kicking off next episode. Would be surprised if we never see him again.

5 hours ago, Captain Novaforce said:

Black Noir

Hide contents

Apparently the actor has a nut allergy and this particular method of takedown was all Carl Urban's idea.

By actually attacking him in real life? Harsh stuff from Urban.

The accent is explained in the latest episode. Incase you havent seen it yet or didnt twig:

Spoiler

Butchers dad in the show is a kiwi/aussie and his mothers is english. so the mixed accent is explained via that little moment 

Well that was an episode. Bloody tense throughout I felt and HL and Stormfront upping the bastards stakes even further. 

The ending was very much The Boys. Will be disappointed if it’s the asylum escapee.

Spoiler

Presumably, it’s supposed to be the same person that did for the CIA woman at the start of the season?

7 minutes ago, El Geet said:

Well that was an episode. Bloody tense throughout I felt and HL and Stormfront upping the bastards stakes even further. 

The ending was very much The Boys. Will be disappointed if it’s the asylum escapee.

Hide contents

Presumably, it’s supposed to be the same person that did for the CIA woman at the start of the season?

I don't think it will be as like you said, the CIA womans head popped like that too and that was before the asylum breakout.

You have to feel sorry for young Billy Butcher. He grew up in Laaandon to an Australian-Cockney Dad, a Mancunian-Cockney Mum, and a Canadian-Cockney Aunty. Is it any wonder he ended up Kiwi-Cockney.

To be honest, I’m really not sure what meeting his mum and dad was supposed to bring to proceedings. It seems his dad came over to call him a tough cunt one last time before he dies of cancer. 

59 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

I don't think it will be as like you said, the CIA womans head popped like that too and that was before the asylum breakout.

Yeah exactly. Must have something to do with the Church group. 

8 hours ago, El Geet said:

To be honest, I’m really not sure what meeting his mum and dad was supposed to bring to proceedings. It seems his dad came over to call him a tough cunt one last time before he dies of cancer. 

It was to explain why Butcher is the way he is. Clearly his dad has cast a shadow over his whole life and like Butcher, he is extremely manipulative and controlling, as evidenced by this scene. Even near death he is still in control and seemed to thrive on Billy losing it. Butcher hates him, but this is likely because he knows he is a chip off the old cunt. 

It was also to compare and contrast Butcher and Homelander's similar childhood experiences, and in a way to empathise? Both their 'parent's' helped turn them into the persons they are.

I don’t think it was handled particularly well to be honest. I didn’t need a bizarre nothing scene on a balcony to tell me Butcher also has daddy issues or to get him fired up to do something that was pretty much already totally in character. I wasn’t sure if they were playing it for laughs as a bit of an accent-off. 

Not sure we even need to know he has daddy issues! His motivation has always been his wife. She alluded to the fact that he was always a cunt anyway. Did we need to know why? 

It’s not a big deal. Really enjoy this show anyway. 

1 hour ago, El Geet said:

Not sure we even need to know he has daddy issues! His motivation has always been his wife. She alluded to the fact that he was always a cunt anyway. Did we need to know why? 

His motivation could easily be a patriarchal sense of control, and his wife is just a manifestation of that. 

(Not really spoilers, just speculation)

Spoiler

If it's inherited from his dad as a fatal flaw, we'll feel like the circle has been completed when he gains redemption by sacrificing himself, as a father figure, to save Hughie or something.

47 minutes ago, schmojo said:

His motivation could easily be a patriarchal sense of control, and his wife is just a manifestation of that. 

(Not really spoilers, just speculation)

Hide contents

If it's inherited from his dad as a fatal flaw, we'll feel like the circle has been completed when he gains redemption by sacrificing himself, as a father figure, to save Hughie or something.

Very fair point in your spoiler. That relationship has been hinted at. 

I think episode 7 has made the strongest case for weekly episodes. I've been really enjoying stewing over it and discussing theories with my fellow Boys nerds. :D

5 hours ago, El Geet said:

I don’t think it was handled particularly well to be honest. I didn’t need a bizarre nothing scene on a balcony to tell me Butcher also has daddy issues or to get him fired up to do something that was pretty much already totally in character. I wasn’t sure if they were playing it for laughs as a bit of an accent-off. 

I think it helps explain more about why he hates supes and Homelander in particular. Homelander took away and violated the only thing stopping Butcher becoming his dad. He's grown up with a cunt as a dad and she was his redemption.

The flashback scene with his wife showed Butcher to be a completely different person - smiling, trusting, fun. Now he's channeling his manipulative angry bully of a dad.