The Boys - Amazon superhero show

21 hours ago, Minion said:

Loved the 

Reveal hidden contents

Dick strangling

But the

Hide contents

Nazi's created supes? Really they couldn't come up with anything more original than Wolfenstein?

Spoiler

To be fair, Mengele, the Thule Society and US repurposing of Nazi tech all existed loooong before Wolfenstein. It's fertile ground, and plays nicely into the politics we'd get with real life 'Übermensch'.

13 minutes ago, Delargey said:

Stormfront is a bit erratic with homelander some times she is afraid of him sometimes she isn't when the plot requires, it doesn't seem like a long game she is playing with him.

You can say the same of a few characters and it undermines his character. 

58 minutes ago, Gwangi said:

I think that’s his character..when you have control of him he’s a pussycat and you can pretty much do want you want...let that control slip and it’s brown alert time.

Hasn't she already proven that he basically can't touch her? Any fight would surely be a stalemate. His eye laser doesn't touch her and she seems just as strong as him from everything we've seen.

Or maybe not because plot.

2 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Hasn't she already proven that he basically can't touch her? Any fight would surely be a stalemate. His eye laser doesn't touch her and she seems just as strong as him from everything we've seen.

Or maybe not because plot.

I assume Homelander if he wanted would just crush her or up the ante with laser beam.

I wonder when Billy is gonna take some V? Gotta happen at some point. Probably for the ending to fight HL. 

3 hours ago, Delargey said:

Stormfront is a bit erratic with homelander some times she is afraid of him sometimes she isn't when the plot requires, it doesn't seem like a long game she is playing with him.

Without being too on the nose, that's Homelander's currency. Real or not, you have to show a little terrified deference to keep him on side.

And whether you can beat him or not, he's a useful fucking tool for your nefarious purposes.

I get it, but it would be better if they were more subtle with Stormfront and him, when she is being cock there should still be a hint of fear in her eyes - she is trying to put up a strong front but knows she can match him, or she is playing the fear to give him the sense of power he needs.

Currently, sometimes she doesn't give a shit or is utterly terrified based on the scene.

20 minutes ago, Delargey said:

I get it, but it would be better if they were more subtle with Stormfront and him, when she is being cock there should still be a hint of fear in her eyes - she is trying to put up a strong front but knows she can match him, or she is playing the fear to give him the sense of power he needs.

Currently, sometimes she doesn't give a shit or is utterly terrified based on the scene.

You've just described what's happening. It's just maybe painted a bit too cartoonishly for your preference, but it's still a comic adaptation.

11 hours ago, squirtle said:

Or perhaps she has no reason to fear him, and the fearful bits are just an act to keep him thinking he's got the upper hand.

Makes sense. Homelander is a massive chauvinist so he probably likes women to show fear when he flexes. It’s been repeatedly demonstrated that if you pump up his ego then he loses any ability to think rationally. Take the end of the episode as an example. 

Spoiler

Homelander thinks himself superior to normal people, but still showed quiet doubts at how to handle Stormfront’s Nazi confessions until she named him the leader. There is some vestige of a conscience inside him, but it yields easily to flattery or any perceived assault. 

I think the Stormfront/Homelander interaction is bang on. 

When she's afraid of him maybe it's not so much for herself.

Spoiler

She's more afraid she's lost what she needs to bring about the Vought grand conspiracy.  And he is obviously the uber-supe and could probably crush her.  

The big Nazi plan reveal is cartoonish but it's also a nice parallel of where we are today. Obviously, a lot of this plays on the politics and messed up society in the US today. It was a shame Stormfront even mentioned the culture war - it's obvious this is what they're driving at.

I'm curious to see how this will all play out with Homelander.  He's clearly one messed up individual - will he be a supe cunt to the end or will there be some kind of redemption?  I hope not the latter.

3 hours ago, El Geet said:

I'm curious to see how this will all play out with Homelander.  He's clearly one messed up individual - will he be a supe cunt to the end or will there be some kind of redemption?  I hope not the latter.

I think his son will take him out.

34 minutes ago, Delargey said:

I think his son will take him out.

That’s one possible ending. Not sure if the most satisfying. Wouldn’t be surprised if HL killed his son mind. 

I’ve no idea about the original source material. Does this follow it closely?

Big spoiler about the original source material so read at your peril:

Spoiler

Black Noir is a clone of Homelander, with the specific purpose of taking him down if Vought lose control of him.

Not entirely sure the show will go down that route though.

27 minutes ago, Waggo said:

Big spoiler about the original source material so read at your peril:

Reveal hidden contents

Black Noir is a clone of Homelander, with the specific purpose of taking him down if Vought lose control of him.

Not entirely sure the show will go down that route though.

For me that's not happening for one simple reason:

Spoiler

The actor in the suit is black. No way in hell is this show going to have a black guy in the suit, only to then have the mask removed and, oh hey it's another white guy. 

14 minutes ago, Thor said:

For me that's not happening for one simple reason:

Reveal hidden contents

The actor in the suit is black. No way in hell is this show going to have a black guy in the suit, only to then have the mask removed and, oh hey it's another white guy. 

I did not realise that.  As I hinted in my original post I suspected the show would go in a different direction anyway, and that would pretty much confirm it.

Is it utterly futile for me to ask to keep the comic info out of here? Or at the very least stick the whole discussion in spoiler tags?

Now I've read Scruff’s unmarked comic plot beat above it could well spoil some upcoming twist in the show that I didn’t need or want to know about.

Please?

8 hours ago, jonamok said:

Is it utterly futile for me to ask to keep the comic info out of here? Or at the very least stick the whole discussion in spoiler tags?

Now I've read Scruff’s unmarked comic plot beat above it could well spoil some upcoming twist in the show that I didn’t need or want to know about.

Please?

Sorry! I thought I'd read someone mention that they were surprised none of them 

Spoiler

were on V so I didn't think anything of mentioning it again but it seems that may have been spoilered info

Apologies again.

The comic is full to the brim of brilliant ideas, many of them badly / childishly executed, so I'd be amazed if they don't use a lot more comic plots but adjust them accordingly for the TV show.

Regarding 'why isn't that character more worried / behaving in that way?'... one of the problems with the TV show is that it's partly a victim of its own success. It's a superhero tale so well translated to the real world (people in power who are supposed to be good just abuse their power, 2020 political and social trends well depicted, etc.) that your standard comic book 'but why didn't X superhero do Y to solve that problem?' moments stand out even more.

17 hours ago, jonamok said:

Please?

Sorry partly my fault.  I was keen to know if it deviated from source material.  Although I didn't actually want to read what the differences were at this point.