The Boys - Amazon superhero show

24 minutes ago, Thor said:

None of that is true. Stranger Things turned into a cultural juggernaut over the space of one weekend, yes its follow-up seasons didn't quite hit the highs for the first, but they're not flash in the pan, the three series as a whole still remain in the top 10 of Netflix's most viewed shows. And to also say The Witcher is flash in the pan is absolutely absurd, it spawned weeks of memes, not to mention that song. 

You can't be serious … let's take someone who hasn't seen Chernobyl as an example. It's all available now, so if they then binge that in a day/weekend, does it become junk food? Does it lose any quality? Of course it doesn't. Good television is good television, no matter how it's watched. 

Yeah, I actually did this for the latest BCS season. 

The only reason you’ve even heard of Chernobyl is because because it was spread over 5 weeks, it came out of nowhere and by the time the finale broadcast the hype and momentum had built for it to become a huge event (relative to other high-brow TV shows at least). And Stranger Things absolutely did not eurpt over one weekend, it did have a very strong online following to begin but that word mouth gradually spread and turned it into a mainstream hit over weeks/months/years. That’s why it‘s always in the Top 10. 

The Witcher on the other hand absolutely came and went. All those memes and covers lasted a few weeks and that was it. It’s another ‘extremely online’ show, but one that didn’t quite break the mainstream. 

All of these shows are big within their fanbases, but the vast majority of the online ones never build hype and momentum in the way the weekly broadcast ones do. Stranger Things was four years ago and it’s still the best example of a breakout hit they’ve got.

Twin Peaks S3 absolutely wouldn’t have been the same if every episode was available from day 1 but I can’t think of many other shows.

On topic: I’m slightly disappointed in the second season so far. I don’t care much for the storyline of the boys and the shock of the depravity of Homelander is gone a bit. There’s a few examples of the show trying a bit too hard to be super outrageous or sadistic too. Still pretty interested in seeing where it will go though. 

Another thing I never realised until after watching the full season (and start of s2) then  reading this thread was Homelander being Hood from Banshee, never recognised his because of his hair. Also reminded me I never got around to watching S4 of Banshee so have just found that on Sky's catchup service :D

Spoiler

"That ninja cunt is here for me." :lol:

Bothers me slightly that Butcher hasn't figured out that Becca's son could be the best weapon he has at his disposal.

Also, why is wanted criminal Frenchie free to walk the streets without concern now after having his face plastered across television a couple of episodes ago?

On 14/09/2020 at 15:34, ZOK said:

Yes, agreed. I thought episode 4 was more than a bit boring, too.

Fuck me, yes. About 60 minutes of boredom and and 3 mins of interest. Other shows do their transistional/filler episodes far better.

Hopefully episode 5 is back on form.

That quip at the beginning of ep 5

Spoiler

“This Joss rewrite is singing!”

:lol:

Flipping shit myself at Homelander’s dream spot. Thought things had gone full Marvelman for a second! Also, some top Butcherisms in this episode, and it seems the accent is genetic after all.

Still enjoying world/characters but it feels aimless somewhat. Needs stronger ongoing narrative/character goal. 

It may pull together in back half (they keep setting up lots of bits that are left hanging)

7 hours ago, Death's Head said:

Reveal hidden contents

Flipping shit myself at Homelander’s dream spot. Thought things had gone full Marvelman for a second! Also, some top Butcherisms in this episode, and it seems the accent is genetic after all.

I thought the exact same thing. Cunt sense is tingling also made me laugh. Especially when the better half said "I have that" :lol:

I think I’d be happier with the weekly release if episodes had a self contained plot that took place in a larger whole - Chernobyl had that, each episode was some new problem in the cleanup that needed resolving.

There’s like four or five plot threads here that all see incremental progress each episode, it’s a format that’s been made for streaming and watching back to back, but robbed of that context. It makes it hard to talk about much each episode, beyond stuff like “when his face got ripped off”.

11 hours ago, Death's Head said:

Hide contents

Same here! 

Spoiler

I was actually disappointed when they back-pedalled it to ‘just a dream’ territory, it would have been an extremely bold direction in which to have gone,

compared with the treading water episode we got. 

Still fun though. Laser my fucking tits. 

1 hour ago, RubberJohnny said:

I think I’d be happier with the weekly release if episodes had a self contained plot that took place in a larger whole - Chernobyl had that, each episode was some new problem in the cleanup that needed resolving.

There’s like four or five plot threads here that all see incremental progress each episode, it’s a format that’s been made for streaming and watching back to back, but robbed of that context. It makes it hard to talk about much, beyond “when his face got ripped off”.

Yep, this weekly format isn't fitting this show at all. 

So I’m guessing that...

Spoiler

Vought knows full well that Homelander killed Stillwell. Stormfront was being kept in reserve as a nuclear option, but Homelander both losing Stillwell AND finding out Vought had been hiding a son from him would make him dangerously unstable, and so Edgar decided to have her play a more active role. Plus given her durability, which shocked even Homelander, she’s a handler that can’t easily be killed when he has a strop. 

Hopefully, Butcher realises that the ‘we’ve got shit on Homelander’s kid,’ card will probably only work once. If allowed to stay in play then it effectively makes Butcher immune, so I bet Edgar is taking steps to nullify it right now - even if that means introducing Homelander’s kid to the world on Vought’s terms.

2 hours ago, Popo said:

Same here! 

Reveal hidden contents

Its testament to Starr’s performance that I could well believe he’d do it. He just sets me on edge every time he’s on screen, it’s  magnificent. Of course it’s helped by the reactions of people around him - look at the senator’s face when he lands next to her, she’s absolutely bricking it.

I think this season would work better if we had an idea of at least one person/groups goal or purpose- it's all very fractured at the moment.

The Boys are a bit aimless and reactionary whilist everyone else is either shadowy subterfuge or sneering malevolence.

6 hours ago, Delargey said:

I think this season would work better if we had an idea of at least one person/groups goal or purpose- it's all very fractured at the moment.

Well gee golly gosh, what could possibly fix that, I wonder? ;)

On 18/09/2020 at 20:31, DC said:

I’m STILL getting fluctuating quality. My B7 is wired and I have 100mg internet. I fucking hate Amazon Prime. I never get this on Netflix.

Same here, seems to be only affected if we watch it on a Friday night, I tend to watch it again on Sunday and no issues. I guess it's the fact that Amazon's servers are taking a battering with so many people wanting to watch it asap. No issues with streaming Netflix 4K at that time either.

I don't know why but when Billy said to Hughie "Expecting a happy ending were we? I'm sorry Hughie - but it's not that kind of massage parlor" - spat cider out of my nose.

Enjoying this season!