The Boys - Amazon superhero show

3 hours ago, BossSaru said:

Reveal hidden contents

Was he crying? I thought he was laughing. I love the scenes with Noir - he works as the perfect chaotic neutral character, watching shit hitting the fan around him with no concerns whatsoever. Coming across like Batman after a breakdown.

You could be right. Goes to show how Noir is a total blank canvas. He did that funny bunny thing with the kid as well...whilst holding a severed head in the other hand. 

Comic spoilers and potential series spoilers. Be warned!

In the comics Black Noir is a clone of Homelander, and is Vought’s contingency plan.

He’s also more twisted than Homelander and is responsible for the rape of Butcher’s wife amongst other things. I hope the series doesn’t go down this route, but initial signs seem to be pointing in that direction

10 hours ago, El Geet said:

They don’t need boosters. I thought A Train had become addicted. Can’t remember where he was getting it from though.  

I may be misremembering but I assumed he got access to it as he was the one helping Homelander to move it around as part of the long-winded/misguided plan to create Super Villians.

Absolutely love the way Homelander goes from childish tantrums to being absolutely the most frightening thing in the show just at the flip of a coin. Fantastic acting.

Also - best red eye cgi ever. More scary than a terminator.

4 hours ago, schmojo said:

Well that episode was something special. 

Might be my favourite yet. I don't know when the comic was written, but they fit it into 2020 like a hand in a terrible, terrible glove.

The show isn’t that close to the comics is it?  

Just when you think Homelander couldn't get more disturbing he ups the ante, not once, but twice in the episode.

Spoiler

The initial doppelganger reveal :unsure:, and then the ending.  :wacko:

So, Kimiko’s power has yet to be revealed, and I’m guessing that it’s something to do with...

Her voice. As we learnt in episode 3 that she can speak, but stopped doing so when her parents were killed.

You could argue that it’s her healing, but they all seem to have that. Starlight was shot twice in the chest with a .50 sniper rifle, one round of which would literally rip a normal person in half, and was only winded. Maybe there are a lot of supes who ‘just’ get the healing and strength but nothing else. 

It's been "review bombed" by a lot of viewers on Amazon for that reason. I'd have much preferred to watch all of it at my own pace, and while I can understand the producers (it wasn't Amazon behind it) wanting it weekly, to me it's fucking stupid. Stranger Things and The Witcher were fucking huge successes, as was The Boys season one. All that's been achieved here with the shift to weekly episodes is pissing off at the very least half of the fanbase.

Oh forgot to say I also thought Butcher was supposed to be Australian based on that accent (and liberal use of the c word) so was very confused several episodes in when he was being described as British by other characters. :lol:

1 hour ago, Thor said:

It's been "review bombed" by a lot of viewers on Amazon for that reason. I'd have much preferred to watch all of it at my own pace, and while I can understand the producers (it wasn't Amazon behind it) wanting it weekly, to me it's fucking stupid. Stranger Things and The Witcher were fucking huge successes, as was The Boys season one. All that's been achieved here with the shift to weekly episodes is pissing off at the very least half of the fanbase.

I dunno, I think those examples prove them right. The Witcher hit peak discourse for what, two, maybe three weeks? People will be talking about The Boys for the next two-three months.

Imagine if season one of Westworld had all been released at once, or Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, etc. They want it to be event television.

People will be talking about The Boys for longer because of this release schedule. And I've found myself ruminating on each episode more than when I was just charging through them. It's maybe not how everyone would do it, but so many people are petulant and entitled when it comes to entertainment.

That said, nothing will ever stop feeble man-children on the internet getting mad at something they supposedly like, because of some tangential issue. These are pure Gamergaters.

I hope the show absolutely buries them in an episode this series or next. 

If it stops clickbait YouTube videos titled "The Boys Season Two Finale Explained" with a big spoliery image, then I'm all for it.

Game of Thrones is maybe one of the best examples of how weekly scheduled shows can become event television. Excepting those people who didn't have access to it for some reason, all it's viewers got hit by the big story beats at the same time, or at least within a day or two. Otherwise you'd have been settling down to watch the season three opener, while all around would have been posts and YouTube videos screaming about The Rains of Castamere and "Why the Red Wedding changes everything!!!!" or some other similar crap.

Yeah it is frustrating having to wait when my attention span and patience are completely shot these days, but I also enjoy the anticipation and having more time to let each episode sink in. You do have to be a special kind of loser to "review bomb" something because you don't like the release schedule.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I do, I want to watch all of it now. 

@CarloOos Are you saying Stranger Things and The Witcher weren't event television? 

they were - but there was no build up to the finale in either.  You blasted through as fast as you could.  GoT ended up ending badly, but it still didn't stop it being ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE and practically the only thing on telly people were talking about.  I think I must've watched the Battle of Winterfell about 3 times in the week between that and the next (shitey) episode.

There's enough content on services, I don't mind a weekly release.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

I do, I want to watch all of it now. 

@CarloOos Are you saying Stranger Things and The Witcher weren't event television? 

Season 1 of Stranger Things was, because of the gradual word of mouth. But both the follow up seasons were a flash in the pan, as was The Witcher. Two weeks and they’re done, with nobody talking about them until they reappear a year later.

Binge watching turns entertainment into junk food, which I don’t mind for some things but I don’t need for everything. Weekly episodes paces the momentum of a show.

Better Call Saul (and GoT, and watchmen) have proven to me that I prefer weekly releases for 'event' television. Forces you to mull it over. Ponder it. Makes it a community event at a rate I can keep up with. Much better. 

if you don’t like it, just assum3 the release date in ten weeks later than announced. 

11 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

Season 1 of Stranger Things was, because of the gradual word of mouth. But both the follow up seasons were a flash in the pan, as was The Witcher. Two weeks and they’re done, with nobody talking about them until they reappear a year later.

None of that is true. Stranger Things turned into a cultural juggernaut over the space of one weekend, yes its follow-up seasons didn't quite hit the highs for the first, but they're not flash in the pan, the three series as a whole still remain in the top 10 of Netflix's most viewed shows. And to also say The Witcher is flash in the pan is absolutely absurd, it spawned weeks of memes, not to mention that song. 

17 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

Binge watching turns entertainment into junk food, which I don’t mind for some things but I don’t need for everything. Weekly episodes paces the momentum of a show.

You can't be serious … let's take someone who hasn't seen Chernobyl as an example. It's all available now, so if they then binge that in a day/weekend, does it become junk food? Does it lose any quality? Of course it doesn't. Good television is good television, no matter how it's watched. 

2 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

If you don’t like it, just assum3 the release date in ten weeks later than announced. 

Yeah, I actually did this for the latest BCS season.