The Boys - Amazon superhero show

Yeah I think I agree with @Ste Pickford on this. Especially when I consider breaking bad and watching that weekly and with season breaks as well. Really made me enjoy it even more.

Same goes for Watchmen, Lovecraft country and the boys, allows you to ruminate on the Eps and engage in discussion more about each episode. 

It’s certainly nice to be able to ‘watercooler’ a big show, haven’t had that for a while. But I also like having it all available at once. What a dilemma!

Anyway, this is such a fucking great show. It’s lovely to see it back. Can’t wait for Deep’s next humiliation.

Well this has maintained its momentum nicely.

Can't help but think that 

Giancarlo Esposito is going to reveal some kind of power should Homelander keep threatening him. Or introduce him to a super dangerous henchman who's been kept in the background.

Also Stormfront feels like the most 2020 hero ever.

On 06/09/2020 at 18:50, Doctor Shark said:

So, who is everyone’s favourite character and why is it homelander? 

One detail I enjoyed about him from the first episode....

He can be very precise with his powers, but most often just chooses not to be. Such as the level of force needed to rupture Blind-Spot’s eardrums and not turn their head into pulp. Similarly, he used his laser-vision to gently heat a small plastic bottle of milk. It just makes his character all the more selfish and sinister. 

I do still believe what he said about not being able to help the airliner, though. Not that he really gave a fuck either way.

53 minutes ago, schmojo said:

Hide contents

Giancarlo Esposito is going to reveal some kind of power should Homelander keep threatening him. Or introduce him to a super dangerous henchman who's been kept in the background.

I was expecting  

Gus to reveal some kind of planted kill switch in Homelander...

Definitely.

It would make sense that was worked into Compound V, or some other part of the treatment when they're young.

I suppose then, if it comes to light that they can trigger it in the super terrorists, there might be call for them to nuke all the other supers they made too. Which is why they may be reticent to reveal it.

1 hour ago, schmojo said:

Hide contents

Giancarlo Esposito is going to reveal some kind of power should Homelander keep threatening him.

It’ll be:

Some OCP directive 4-esque thing, I reckon! Should have given it to Stillwell, too!

3 hours ago, schmojo said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

Yeah, I was watching that whole first scene between him and Homelander, wondering what protection he has against him, as he didn't seem the slightest bit intimidated.  Maybe that's just his personality, but Homelander is an unstable nutcase with the power of a god.  I'd be a bit more nervous myself.

Spoiler

I think that's what makes Edgar such a fantastic character to have in Homelander's way. If they went down the Suicide Squad death switch or super powered Henchmen route then I would probably be quite disappointed. Instead Edgar uses Homelander's need to maintain his public image and adoration as leverage over him. Its calculating, clever and the fact he isnt threatened by Homelander when he could rip his arms off in a split second makes it a really refreshing dynamic!

The first three eps were okay, fun in parts but not really that much story it seemed to me (although I had no subs so the Kimiko’s brother bit could have been amazing, I don’t know).

One thing that was a bit annoying was 

Spoiler

why didn’t Kimiko just twist Stormfront’s head off? That’s her superpower!

but I guess they’ve got to eke the story out, such as it is.

On 05/09/2020 at 21:29, Purin said:

My TV showed the subtitles but they were so small I had to get up and move closer to the screen to read them. Tiny! 

Somewhere in the settings you can adjust size, font, colour and background colour for the subs. 

There are so many options though, I'm constantly fiddling with them until I can settle on something I like. 

4 hours ago, MardiganX said:
  Hide contents

I think that's what makes Edgar such a fantastic character to have in Homelander's way. If they went down the Suicide Squad death switch or super powered Henchmen route then I would probably be quite disappointed. Instead Edgar uses Homelander's need to maintain his public image and adoration as leverage over him. Its calculating, clever and the fact he isnt threatened by Homelander when he could rip his arms off in a split second makes it a really refreshing dynamic!

For those same reasons, I'm hoping it's something more tangible than that. Edgar offers nothing different than Stilwell on the manipulation/leverage front, in fact, he doesn't have the depth of the personal element. And we know how that ended.

Spoiler

Stilwell never threatened him once. She was always visibly terrified whenever she interacted with him and was more or less pandering to him for fear he would do what he ends up doing.

Edgar just stares him down and basically tells him to go fuck himself, which is a far cry from letting Homelander suck on his tits :lol:

Season 1 spoilers above.

Watched those three and loved every second.

Highlights so far:

Spoiler

Stormfront going all Palps.

The whole whale sequence - Jesus, they really upped last season’s dolphin.

The Deep singing harmony with his gills. :lol:

By the way were the gills voiced by anyone famous? Not in the credits, sounded a bit like Patton Oswalt.

And while watching S2E3 I suddenly realised that Hughie is Dennis Quaid’s son. And now I’ve finally spotted it the likeness is extremely fucking obvious. :facepalm:

Man this show is unrelenting. Just finished episode 3. Christ!

Spoiler

Stormfront is such a horrible character. I hate her. I guess you're supposed to so in a roundabout way, she's a great character! Her just nonchalantly taking down children and black people before calling Kamiko's brother a yellow bastard or whatever it was...yeesh

One thing that the show trips up on, I think, is the line between Homelander not giving a fuck and killing anyone who annoys him, but then not when the story gives them plot armour. Why didn't he kill Giancarlo Eposito? Why hasn't he just killed Stormfront? He's shown repeatedly he's not above killing people who slightly irritate him, let alone outright insult him. He clearly doesn't give a fuck about Voight now, he said as much, and he could have easily (well, we assume easily) killed Stormfront on the roof and blamed the terrorist so...why didn't he?

Other than that, great stuff.

The fucking whale :lol:

Spoiler

I get the impression that there is a certain amount of bluster in him, despite his status as the most powerful man in the world. He knows he has to play the political game to some extent. He got away with Stilwell as he could frame it on someone. He doesn't have that option when it comes to Edgar.

Replying to Doctor Shark

11 minutes ago, Andy_Why said:
  Hide contents

I get the impression that there is a certain amount of bluster in him, despite his status as the most powerful man in the world. He knows he has to play the political game to some extent. He got away with Stilwell as he could frame it on someone. He doesn't have that option when it comes to Edgar.

Replying to Doctor Shark

Hmm, that’s a good observation. Will be interested to see where it goes. 

Great first three episodes but Christ that third episode was brutal. 

Spoiler

I was wondering where they were going with Stormfront  Full on racist psychopath I was not expecting! Although there is that ultra right wing, white nationalist website called Stormfront. Coincidence? I actually had to look away at the scene where she killed Kimiko’s brother. It was horrific. 

Stormfront‘s character is so odious she  managed to make me root for bloody Homelander. 

So we have Homelander and Stormfront as evil bastards, Starlight and Maeve who have a conscience. A Train and Deep seem to be on a journey to get one. Noir we have no idea about although was surprised to see him sobbing at the news of Compound V.  It will be interesting to see how the dynamic develops. 

No idea where The Boys go from here.

On 07/09/2020 at 08:57, Ste Pickford said:

I absolutely love the staggered episodes.  I think binge watching is bullshit, and this forces everyone else to watch the way I do.

Totally agree, it stretches out the excitement of a new episode coming I can come on places like here and read about things without the fear of it being spoiled. The producers have pretty much confirmed this is the reason they have staggered the episodes. 

Our feeling is that when it airs all eight at once, it becomes a sugar rush of a binge," he continued.

"People burn through it in a week or two. There’s an intense amount of activity and then it sort of fades. There’s so many great moments in season 2, we want to give it time to marinate so people can reflect on it and talk about it before they move on to the next thing and be in the conversation a little longer. I think a little anticipation for the fans is healthy."

From https://www.comicbookmovie.com/tv/amazon/the_boys/the-boys-showrunner-eric-kripke-explains-the-decision-for-episodes-to-receive-a-staggered-release-a178207#gs.f6rqxg

On 07/09/2020 at 19:08, MardiganX said:
  Hide contents

Stilwell never threatened him once. She was always visibly terrified whenever she interacted with him and was more or less pandering to him for fear he would do what he ends up doing.

Edgar just stares him down and basically tells him to go fuck himself, which is a far cry from letting Homelander suck on his tits :lol:

Season 1 spoilers above.

Maybe the twist for Edgar's confidence against Homelander is that he has hidden

Spoiler

tits

18 hours ago, El Geet said:

Hide contents

Noir we have no idea about although was surprised to see him sobbing at the news of Compound V.

Was he crying? I thought he was laughing. I love the scenes with Noir - he works as the perfect chaotic neutral character, watching shit hitting the fan around him with no concerns whatsoever. Coming across like Batman after a breakdown.

30 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Just remind me - do supes need compound v regularly? Why is it only A-Train we see taking it and why doesn't Homelander know anything about it? Can't remember how it was explained on season 1.

They dont need it regularly (as far as we know) but it is a powers booster. A-Train's worried about his edge as the best speedster.  Can't remember where he was getting it from.

2 hours ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Just remind me - do supes need compound v regularly? Why is it only A-Train we see taking it and why doesn't Homelander know anything about it? Can't remember how it was explained on season 1.

They don’t need boosters. I thought A Train had become addicted. Can’t remember where he was getting it from though.