rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
JohnC

The Boys - Amazon superhero show

Amazon come along with another hero show, based on a Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson comic. The show is developed by Eric Kripke, Evan Goldberg, and Seth Rogen.

Stars Karl Urban, Elizabeth Shue, Antony Starr and a bunch more. 

The Boys takes place in "a world where superheroes embrace the darker side of their massive celebrity and fame" and "revolves around a group of vigilantes known informally as “the boys,” who set out to take down corrupt superheroes with no more than blue-collar grit and a willingness to fight dirty."

1 hour ago, stefcha said:

There is no fucking way that can stay anywhere near close to the source material, surely?

Nah. I'm expecting to be disappointed.

Please be good, please be good, please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good etc

• Upvote 1

I'm a huge Garth Ennis fan but wasn't mad about The Boys. I'll give this a go even though the lack of Simon Pegg is an obvious mark against it.

1 hour ago, stefcha said:

There is no fucking way that can stay anywhere near close to the source material, surely?

I dunno - have you seen Happy on Netflix?

20 minutes ago, Don Rosco said:

I'll give this a go even though the lack of Simon Pegg is an obvious mark against it.

He apparently is in it.

On 30/01/2019 at 10:33, Don Rosco said:

I dunno - have you seen Happy on Netflix?

Just finished this last night as a result of your comment, it was mental and ace. While what was in there was pretty close to the bone at times I don't think it comes that close to some of the shit in The Boys or even Preacher (comic version), kind of felt like like Morrison doing an impersonation of Ennis I guess - assuming Happy the show was fairly close to the comic.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, he was definitely channeling a bit of Ennis alright. The show does stick close to the comic, but puts much more in as well. The story in the comic could have been done in a couple of episodes. 

I'm looking forward to this but expecting more of a interpretation than a book to screen effort, mainly because nobody would or could make the comic as is into a TV series withouy someone losing their job along the way for commissioning it.

Female and Frenchie look great. Also so weird to see Hood* as Homelander. I barely recognised him with the blond hair.

* I miss you Banshee :(

• Upvote 2

Crossed would never, ever work on television. Can you even fucking imagine relatively tame shit like Horsecock?

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Meh said:

Crossed would never, ever work on television. Can you even fucking imagine relatively tame shit like Horsecock?

Whereas Herogasm will be trivial to film.

29 minutes ago, Meh said:

Herogasm?

A Boys limited series. Spring break for supes and all the depravity that goes along with it.