IGNORED

Games/Franchises you dislike/hate. Tell us about em.

df0

55 minutes ago, Nick R said:

Not something I hate, but something I've never been able to get on with despite thinking I should: Civilisation.

Have you played the new XCom games? I was the same with Civ, and with XCom for a little while, but the latter clicked for me far more quickly.

As for me;

Call of Duty. They could be the best games in the world, but the part of its fanbase I see the most just puts me right off. 

Scrolling Shooters. There are some great games in this genre, like the Thunder Force series, Radiant Silvergun et al, but my attempts to actually play them are a frustrating exercise in tedium. I just do not have the attention span for them. And I play 40x40 picross puzzles FFS! :blah:

Resident Evil 5. There are worse games in the series, but for sheer letdown, 5 has to be my least favourite. The build-up after 4, knowing that Magnificent Bastard Albert Wesker was coming back for a final showdown, (wearing a duster!) combined with myself and the sibling sitting down with soft drinks and snacks to blast through it on co-op all promised a great experience. Unfortunately, the directorial choices (the oppressive/depressive B-movie style approach, with the music, filters, even some monster designs), the strange things in general (being chased through an Incanesque temple in Africa by tribal giants and lasers made from mirrored sun beams made Salazar's statue look positively sane) and the way they use retcons to give the lore a good kicking almost to the level of the TV show Heroes meant that when the credits rolled, we both just looked at each other and felt a bit down in general.

Gex 64: Enter the Gecko. I've been given a few duffers as gifts that technically were far worse; Fantasia for the Mega Drive, for example. But I always got some enjoyment out of them. This, though, I absolutely abhored. Just an unremarkable game in general, a solid five or six out of ten at best, yet somehow I developed such vitriol toward it. Probably because with games like Banjo-Kazooie, Mario 64, Conker etc also available on the system I expected more from it than the unremarkable, tedious game I got.

1 hour ago, Nick R said:

I've not played either series in more than a decade, but the impression I got is that Pro Evo was the connoisseur's choice throughout most of the 2000s - fans priding themselves on valuing Konami's gameplay ahead of EA's presentation and licencing - and that it wasn't until around FIFA 10 onwards that consensus started to build that FIFA was surpassing Pro Evo at last. (I remember an Edge cover feature about the major changes made to the engine in FIFA 10 that made it sound great.)

What I'm saying is... maybe you abandoned FIFA at exactly the wrong time!

It still is the connoisseur’s choice. Admittedly Pro Evo was awful around when FIFA 10 came out. It returned to form a few years later (circa Pro Evo 2013). 

I made the mistake of buying FIFA last year. To me it was near unplayable.

2 hours ago, MarkN said:

This is why I prefer playing FPS games with a joypad to a mouse. You lose accuracy, but it feels more like a game and less like you're using a strange version of Windows where your icons move when you try to click on them. 

I've heard people say this before and have never understood it.

In both instances, you're controlling the camera.

I've never heard anyone say "I can't get on with a pad for shooting, it feels like I'm controlling a remote controlled car"

It's fine to have a preference, but you just make yourself look like you have a total lack of imagination when you say something like that.

Gamers are very good at learning new skills.

Sorry, not in the spirit of the thread, I know.

5 minutes ago, witchypoos said:

I've heard people say this before and have never understood it.

In both instances, you're controlling the camera.

I've never heard anyone say "I can't get on with a pad for shooting, it feels like I'm controlling a remote controlled car"

It's fine to have a preference, but you just make yourself look like you have a total lack of imagination when you say something like that.

Gamers are very good at learning new skills.

Sorry, not in the spirit of the thread, I know.

Perhaps it's one of those things that only feel this way to some people? I know it certainly does to me. I've spent 10 years as a game designer - I know full well that you're controlling a camera, but you're still just moving a cursor over a target and then pressing a mouse button (heck I've coded a rudimentary FPS - I know exactly what it's doing). Your brain is doing a very similar job moving a cursor over a static background to hit an icon as it is to pan the camera around to settle upon the head of an enemy.

Working in video games I spent my entire time clicking things with a mouse in the game engine, or in Photoshop, or in 3DS Max. Maybe the fact that many game engine editors control like an FPS help reinforce the connection?

However - something that just occurred to me is this. I said above that I know that you're controlling the camera (and technically that's true), but I use invert mouse - which is more like controlling the character's head - when I push his head forward he looks down, when I pull it back he looks up. When I'm playing a game I don't think I'm controlling the camera. Maybe that difference is why I also correlate playing an FPS with using Windows? Dunno. Haven't got an answer. I do know that I prefer playing an FPS with a gamepad because it feels less like using Windows though. Different strokes…

Little Big Planet.  Not remotely satisfying to play.  I would have been interested in the level creator, but the tutorials were never-ending, so I gave up.

Fallout.  I love the idea, but I just worry about running out of ammunition whenever I play it.  Have tried 3, New Vegas and 4.

Rayman - the character is detestable.

Resident Evil: admittedly I have only played 2 and 4, both of which I found a miserable experience struggling with the clumsy, lumbering controls.

Monster Hunter: gave two instalments a try, on the Wii U and 3DS. A unstructured mess of a games design which was opaque and impenetrable for a newcomers.

If I'm not enjoying a game, I'll just delete it and move on. Often I'll see something being discussed in the switch thread and really have to rack my brains as to why I sacked it off, often I'll just say nowt as I can't remember!

I don't think I hate or dislike any games or franchises, it's more that I just dislike the way AAA gaming has gone in general over the last ten years and have just opted out of it entirely at this point, it's all just boring, bland, dumbed down, homogenised shite and I don't think that can be blamed on any specific franchise.

Tomb raider is a good example, I can't say I hate that franchise because it used to be great and I had so much fun playing those games but now it's just "the game", the same game everycunt else is making.
Dead Space is another good example, an excellent survival horror game sanded down out of existence, turned into a bland third person shooter by cunts in suits.

Far Cry started out really fun and crysis was the spiritual sequel, which, although still much maligned for being seen as nothing more than a benchmarking tool for future hardware, the actual gameplay was really good fun.
I mean, I could go on.

I think I might adopt that as my new catchphrase!

Hang on, I might have one!

Those hardcore gamers playing dark souls, swaggering around telling people to "git gud"? Get bent.
Don't confuse perseverance and trial and error with skill.
You completed dark souls? Oh good, now do it in realtime without credit feeding.
Would be interesting to see some numbers on which die-hard dark souls fans gave up on dead cells before beating the final boss.

Sim racers.

Well, it's not so much that I hate the games themselves, I mean, I dislike them and I get precisely zero enjoyment from them and therefore don't play them but I could say that about a lot of other genres too.

What makes me feel animosity towards them is that I have to read the opinions/sneers of the people who  like them whenever a game in my favourite genre (arcade racers) is announced/released. 

Whenever any arcade racer is announced/released, the youtube/internet comments will be full of sim racer people saying "looks like a mobile game" or "looks unrealistic and stupid".

Years of reading this has given me a chip on my shoulder about sim racers and their fans. People whose perfect racing game is a game where your car looks like some real car, controls like some real car, the environment looks like some real track, there are some realistic weather effects etc. Probably own some sort of expensive basement cave setup that makes their gaming experience as "realistic" as possible for the one game they play.

It's a shame that arcade racers involve cars really because it makes them a target for these sim people who I don't really think of as game or gameplay fans, more just car fans who can't afford a sports car and want to digitally recreate one. Nothing wrong with that, just stop shitting on arcade racers :)

If you try to talk about arcade games people start mentioning Driveclub and Forza Horizon. Yeah thanks but I was talking about arcade racers not "almost a sim but not quite" games.

I've recently noticed that flight games seem to suffer from the same thing. I noticed a lot of comments on Ace Combat 7 videos lately with people saying some aspect of the game is unrealistic and therefore the game is stupid and some "realistic" pc sim is better etc. 

21 hours ago, df0 said:

You can not show three minutes of Kingdom Hearts footage without showing Disney characters, fact.

21 hours ago, df0 said:

Kingdom Hearts 2 has a slow start. Infuriatingly slow. For the first 3-4 hours* or so you're stuck in a boring yellow/orange coloured city with no Disney characters in sight.

:unsure:

People can speed run Dark Souls, complete the game without taking any damage, finish it with basic/underpowered character builds etc. People are very very skilled at it. It's pretty ignorant to suggest otherwise. That's why I threw babyman poop at you if you were wondering.

I don't think people necessarily disagree with you (I agree with you on Dead Space and disagree with you on Dark Souls), I think it has to do with the language used. It's all a bit patronising. For the record, I love both Souls and Dead Cells and am getting my arse handed to me by Dead Cells on Hard :excl:

I hate Smash Bros.

Back in 2002 when I wrote for a gaming website I got and stayed in touch with a dozen of visitors via a chatroom (remember those?). After we got to know each other a little, I invited about a handful of em to the office after work (might have been on a weekend, can't remember) to play the Nintendo GameCube, the new hotness that was not released in the EU yet (end 2001 in Japan and US, mid 2002 in EU). I bought a Japanese unit myself with about 7 games and was all ready for a nice day of gaming with the visitors. This was 2002, well before easy to access videos about games so for many this was going to be their first time they could actually see games in motion as well as play. I had a nifty little setup complete with non-alcoholic drinks and snacks.

They show up and I kid you not, within 15 minutes they asked for a N64 with Smash.

Fuck Smash. I never played it and I hate it.

On 29/01/2019 at 19:07, CovisGod said:

it's just the same thing churned out again and again. 

Man this is sad to me. I am utterly obsessed with fighting games so I am biased and I'm unlikely to change your mind, but to me that's like saying Chess is just the same moves being repeated again and again. It's understanding the "why" that unlocks the magic of it. 

The divide between people who casually button mash at fighting games and people who really understand them is so vast that they are essentially two different games though. Not in terms of "noobs don't understand and need to git gud" elitism, but more that if you only casually play them and don't delve beneath the surface, I completely agree with you that they can get boring very quickly and it's hard to understand why anyone would be obsessed with them. If you do go beneath the surface though, it can change from a game that's fun for an hour to a game that's fun for thousands and thousands of hours. I find there isn't much middle ground and that the games themselves are very bad at bridging the gap. It's a shame. 

20 hours ago, CovisGod said:

And after that 2 minutes you've seen all you need to see of that game

Hmm, I'm pretty sure there are people on this forum with hundreds if not thousands of hours put into SFIV or SFV! :)  The longevity comes from the matchups and the ways in which characters are played. How do you beat your opponent with your favourite character? How will they stop you beating them? In each match you're always planning several steps ahead - "if I go for this move what options are available to my opponent, and how can I protect myself against them" - which is kind of why it's likened to "fast chess". And the special move lists are big enough that characters can be played in many different ways - your Ryu could probably win against my Rashid, but maybe not against @JLM's Rashid, because he knows the giant flying kick I love so much can be massively unsafe. Ahem.

Pokemon.

Take a JRPG, take away any hint of a decent story or interesting world, make the character design awful, increase the frequency of random battles.

Smash Bros.

Make an epileptic fit in the aisle of a noisy toy shop into a video game. Map jump to up on the stick, like an terrible Atari 2600 or 80s British computer game.

1 hour ago, df0 said:

I think it has to do with the language used. It's all a bit patronising.

Oh, right.
I don't think I was being rude or patronising. I had to really think about a franchise I disliked, and it was more to do with a small toxic proportion of the fanbase than the games themselves.

53 minutes ago, Naieve said:

Megaman. Utter shit. Undefendably bad. Apart from the music sting when you pick a level and jumping as the screen scrolls through a boss door.

Good shout. I think it was a much bigger deal in the USA (because of the NES' dominance), so by the time I played it I couldn't see what the fuss was. 

If you don't have the nostalgia for it it offers very little. 

4 hours ago, JLM said:

Man this is sad to me. I am utterly obsessed with fighting games so I am biased and I'm unlikely to change your mind, but to me that's like saying Chess is just the same moves being repeated again and again. It's understanding the "why" that unlocks the magic of it. 

The divide between people who casually button mash at fighting games and people who really understand them is so vast that they are essentially two different games though. Not in terms of "noobs don't understand and need to git gud" elitism, but more that if you only casually play them and don't scratch beneath the surface, I completely agree with you that they can get boring very quickly and it's hard to understand why anyone would be obsessed with them. If you do go beneath the surface though, it can change from a game that's fun for an hour to a game that's fun for thousands and thousands of hours. I find there isn't much middle ground and that the games themselves are very bad at bridging the gap. It's a shame. 

I agree with this so fiercely, obviously. I'd always found fighting games to be fleeting fun with friends but it wasn't until Street Fighter IV, when I learned to play "properly", that everything clicked. An entire history with the genre flashed through my mind like an epiphany at the end of a film and suddenly I was able to get fresh enjoyment from hundreds of old fighting games I'd only dabbled with before. Even the bad ones. Maybe even especially the bad ones.

I really don't like the Silent Hill games. I love horror films and imagery and I normally enjoy horror games. I really really want to like these games but I find them clunky and primative. Any atmosphere is ruined with shitty graphics and frustratingly prohibitive mechanisms. Even more frustrating as I love the characters and various horrific creatures within the game. 

On 30/01/2019 at 08:30, witchypoos said:

If I'm not enjoying a game, I'll just delete it and move on. Often I'll see something being discussed in the switch thread and really have to rack my brains as to why I sacked it off, often I'll just say nowt as I can't remember!

I don't think I hate or dislike any games or franchises, it's more that I just dislike the way AAA gaming has gone in general over the last ten years and have just opted out of it entirely at this point, it's all just boring, bland, dumbed down, homogenised shite and I don't think that can be blamed on any specific franchise.

Tomb raider is a good example, I can't say I hate that franchise because it used to be great and I had so much fun playing those games but now it's just "the game", the same game everycunt else is making.
Dead Space is another good example, an excellent survival horror game sanded down out of existence, turned into a bland third person shooter by cunts in suits.

Far Cry started out really fun and crysis was the spiritual sequel, which, although still much maligned for being seen as nothing more than a benchmarking tool for future hardware, the actual gameplay was really good fun.
I mean, I could go on.

I think I might adopt that as my new catchphrase!

Hang on, I might have one!

Those hardcore gamers playing dark souls, swaggering around telling people to "git gud"? Get bent.
Don't confuse perseverance and trial and error with skill.
You completed dark souls? Oh good, now do it in realtime without credit feeding.
Would be interesting to see some numbers on which die-hard dark souls fans gave up on dead cells before beating the final boss.

I don’t like any of those games either, but for some reason the way you wrote this post make you sound like such an arsehole that now I want to play those games and enjoy them just to spite you. 

I’ve never met a swaggering Dark Souls player. I’m imagining some sort of Buster Scruggs situation in Salisbury town center on a Saturday during market. He’s walking to GAME past the donut stand while some man yells about bananas. There’s a swing in Buster’s hips and a roll in his shoulders. He is swaggering because he is such a good Dark Souls player. He can defeat any of the enemies with relative ease. He hates people who are not so good at Dark Souls and thinks he is superior to them. 

Out of the corner of his narrowed eyes he spots an eleven year old leaving GAME, dejected, defeated. The eleven year old spots Buster and freezes. He knows in his heart that Buster knows his secret - he just traded in Dark Souls III because he was stuck somewhere. Buster’s eyes narrow further until they’re just slits and he sinks down into his hips. He adjusts his black fedora with the silver ribbon around it and scratches the fluff on his chin. His Dark Souls ring he bought from the internet winks in the sun. His hand goes down to his hip where it sits on his holstered mobile phone clipped to his belt. 

Suddenly, he raises his hand and points his finger at eleven-year-old in a flash. Eleven-year-old clutches his heart like a laser beam has sprung out of Buster’s finger and liquified it.

”GIT GUD!” he screams.

Eleven-year-old falls to his knees, roasted.