Sign in to follow this  
hub2

Apple launching their own 'Netflix' for games. May become a Publisher

So there's a news story doing the rounds today that Apple are considering a games subscription service, but details are light to say the least.

• Is it a true Netflix for games with a large list of available titles?
  • Is it like the humble monthly with a small curated list?
  • Is it their own game streaming service?
  • Will free-to-play titles also be integrated somehow?
  • Is it iOS only or also Mac?

They''re all referencing this story as the original source: https://cheddar.com/videos/apple-plans-gaming-subscription-service-sources

I’m sure it’ll be both iOS and Mac.

I mean, there’s at least one Mac compatible game they could add, isn’t there? Can’t cost much to include it.

This will be terrible.

That said, if it gave me an opportunity to finally have digital copies of Bungie's back catalogue (specifically Myth I and II, and Oni), I would buy a Mac. A decades old one, I mean, but still.

It feels like everyone is ignoring the obvious or looking at it from a long historical perspective.

If the rumors are true, this would be Apple's real foray into gaming. Tweak the Apple TV story to turn it into a cheapish media- and game-focused device bundled with a controller. (Apple Play?) The device could be used as is, just like an Apple TV now, but if you subscribe to the game bundle, you get access to not only freemium games and other content you've paid for already, but also all paid games on the App Store.

Paid up-front games have been really struggling on mobile platforms, and this could be a way to get more people to play non-freemimum games. Developers' income could be calculated precisely to the minute thanks to the Screen Time report function from iOS 12.

Sure, you wouldn't be getting the greatest AAA games from consoles, but a device with Minecraft, Alto's Oddyssey, AG Drive, Tiny Wings, Oceanhorn, After The End, Rayman, Sonic, Mr Crab, Pac-Man CE, Stardew Valley, PAKO 2, etc etc could make it a compelling product. Maybe even a viable Switch-like competitor.

• Upvote 2

@JohnC Great post-avatar combo.

Yeah, it wasn’t a surprise to see them pull the plug on the Apple TV version. But the support just wasn’t there; just bundling a controller could make a difference.

12 hours ago, hub2 said:

So there's a news story doing the rounds today that Apple are considering a games subscription service, but details are light to say the least.

• Is it a true Netflix for games with a large list of available titles?
  • Is it like the humble monthly with a small curated list?
  • Is it their own game streaming service?
  • Will free-to-play titles also be integrated somehow?
  • Is it iOS only or also Mac?

They''re all referencing this story as the original source: https://cheddar.com/videos/apple-plans-gaming-subscription-service-sources

• Probably not
  • Probably
  • No
  • Technically possible but I don't expect it's the focus
  • iOS only

No this isn't going to be a Mac thing. It's probably not going to be an Apple II thing either, which would be an equally ludicrous thing to assume.

I expect this is where Infinity Blade 1-3 are going to turn up again next.

1 hour ago, Jebs Votes said:

Sure, you wouldn't be getting the greatest AAA games from consoles, but a device with Minecraft, Alto's Oddyssey, AG Drive, Tiny Wings, Oceanhorn, After The End, Rayman, Sonic, Mr Crab, Pac-Man CE, Stardew Valley, PAKO 2, etc etc could make it a compelling product. Maybe even a viable Switch-like competitor.

I'm not sure about this. Ever since the Apple TV came out, people ahve been positioning it as a potential games console, but as soon as you start putting games on a big screen in your living room, you're competing with Fortnite, PUBG, Zelda, Mario Kart, Call of Duty, RDR2, etc, and with the best will in the world, I'm not sure Alto's Odyssey and PAKO 2 can really keep up with Fortnite. Who would this console be aimed at - who wants to play iOS games on their TV? 

• Upvote 1

There was a talk about a new iPod Touch launching and being focused on gaming, that'd kind of be like a modern handheld I guess? Relatively cheap, for kids who aren't old enough to get a smartphone, with a better online service than the Switch.

2 hours ago, Jebs Votes said:

It feels like everyone is ignoring the obvious or looking at it from a long historical perspective.

If the rumors are true, this would be Apple's real foray into gaming.

Ha, reminds me of reading this old Arcade Magazine interview with Steve Jobs as Apple prepared to treat gaming seriously by getting involved with Quake 3.

Apple's tried before, let's see what happens this time.

AracdeMagSteveJobsInterview.JPG

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, K said:

I'm not sure about this. Ever since the Apple TV came out, people ahve been positioning it as a potential games console, but as soon as you start putting games on a big screen in your living room, you're competing with Fortnite, PUBG, Zelda, Mario Kart, Call of Duty, RDR2, etc, and with the best will in the world, I'm not sure Alto's Odyssey and PAKO 2 can really keep up with Fortnite. Who would this console be aimed at - who wants to play iOS games on their TV? 

Totally this, weren't Apple focussing on games a couple of years ago with the latest Apple TV, the controller having Wiimote motion controls? Nothing seemed to come of that. 

There appears to be deluge of these streaming services on the way and I have no faith that Apple will do it better or anywhere near as good as Microsoft, Sony, Nvidia etc. They're just not a games company.

• Upvote 2

Terrible.

The beachlines don't even have pebbles or starfish. Hire someone to be entirely dedicated to a pebble generator, and for an entire year they're just paid to walk beaches... again and again every day until they're fuelled up on absolute rage and don't want to see another pebble in their life. But importantly - are likely to throw their cup of water over anyone at a game dev conference who dared to make shite pebbles, and disrespect their months of inner turmoil and personal sacrifice - like their wife left them, and everyone calls them pebblehead freak. AND. Bunjie need to look after starfish in a tank, and pretty much pray them every day as a superior species and make STARFISH1 official boss of the company they beg mercy to for failing to replicate their true glory to Xbox Live. AND. The grass is the wrong species height, so they then need to be slave labour assigned to cutting the Wimbledon grass every year, on penalty of being pelted with strawberries for ruining television. BBC2 viewers will literally come and smash the place up for being ignorant. Or just... crinkle plastic cups even louder than normal, but on masse this noise is more serious than dubstep. Go directly to jail. Do not pass GO or collect 200 Live points. You are the weakest link. GOODBYE.

And. ARGHHHHhhhhh. Go to fucking wales and actually look at a mountain in 3D, or whatever else: Yellowstone or whatever. The tops of these absorb and then reflect nexuses of inra-red light. Talk to a bloody airforce pilot about how they actually have to compensate for this and use it to blind each other, and they'll tell you the actual physics angles involved. So otherwise your mountain looks like the castle in Monty Python's Holy Grail. Oh... it's only a model! (on second thought Camelot is a very silly place, let's not go on game server the stupid physics devs). The end result is merely a pixel shader and will take no additional processing, obvs. >  _  >

• Downvote 2

7 hours ago, centurion said:

Terrible.

The beachlines don't even have pebbles or starfish. Hire someone to be entirely dedicated to a pebble generator, and for an entire year they're just paid to walk beaches... again and again every day until they're fuelled up on absolute rage and don't want to see another pebble in their life. But importantly - are likely to throw their cup of water over anyone at a game dev conference who dared to make shite pebbles, and disrespect their months of inner turmoil and personal sacrifice - like their wife left them, and everyone calls them pebblehead freak. AND. Bunjie need to look after starfish in a tank, and pretty much pray them every day as a superior species and make STARFISH1 official boss of the company they beg mercy to for failing to replicate their true glory to Xbox Live. AND. The grass is the wrong species height, so they then need to be slave labour assigned to cutting the Wimbledon grass every year, on penalty of being pelted with strawberries for ruining television. BBC2 viewers will literally come and smash the place up for being ignorant. Or just... crinkle plastic cups even louder than normal, but on masse this noise is more serious than dubstep. Go directly to jail. Do not pass GO or collect 200 Live points. You are the weakest link. GOODBYE.

And. ARGHHHHhhhhh. Go to fucking wales and actually look at a mountain in 3D, or whatever else: Yellowstone or whatever. The tops of these absorb and then reflect nexuses of inra-red light. Talk to a bloody airforce pilot about how they actually have to compensate for this and use it to blind each other, and they'll tell you the actual physics angles involved. So otherwise your mountain looks like the castle in Monty Python's Holy Grail. Oh... it's only a model! (on second thought Camelot is a very silly place, let's no go on game server the stupid physics devs).

I have no idea what any of that means (this is true for all your posts) but man that Halo Infinite teaser trailer is still so, so good! It shows a lot without revealing too much but also highlights the technical prowess of the engine and promises that we're in for a visual treat. And that soundtrack... Can't wait!

• Upvote 2