rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
JohnC

Jay & Silent Bob Reboot

5 minutes ago, Matt Defis said:

That is a bit shit, me and @cassidy were hoping to cwtch up together and watch it in a cinema. 

We'll have to do it up mine now once it's out for home viewing.  

An advert for this popped up on YouTube and it said "in cinemas now". Sounds like it had absolutely minimum advertising around it (I haven't seen a single poster for it, not even one on the side of a bus and there's usually any old shite that's on that), doesn't help if the only place showing it near(!!) me is one cinema in Glasgow.

I wonder if Kevin Smith has been blacklisted in Hollywood, because he couldn't get a Clerks 3 or Mallrats TV series made and now this has been dropped like a lead balloon. Guess he'll just have to stick to shite interviews on "IMDB TV" and comic book film reviews on YouTube.

1 hour ago, gone fishin' said:

An advert for this popped up on YouTube and it said "in cinemas now". Sounds like it had absolutely minimum advertising around it (I haven't seen a single poster for it, not even one on the side of a bus and there's usually any old shite that's on that), doesn't help if the only place showing it near(!!) me is one cinema in Glasgow.

I wonder if Kevin Smith has been blacklisted in Hollywood, because he couldn't get a Clerks 3 or Mallrats TV series made and now this has been dropped like a lead balloon. Guess he'll just have to stick to shite interviews on "IMDB TV" and comic book film reviews on YouTube.

He's show running the new He -Man animation for Netflix at the moment and has alluded to a few other things.  Plus he is well in with people like JJ and Johnny Favs (as he calls him) so he can still play the Hollywood game if needed

30 minutes ago, dfq23 said:

He's show running the new He -Man animation for Netflix at the moment and has alluded to a few other things.  Plus he is well in with people like JJ and Johnny Favs (as he calls him) so he can still play the Hollywood game if needed

This was the guy who, along with Quentin Tarantino amongst others, was heralding a new “Hollywood” (or at least a new wave of movies) in the early 90s. Being a show runner for a revival of an 80s cartoon, along with how this has been released, just how much kudos he carries in movie making now. 

I don’t know why it is, maybe it’s because his output has been abysmal over the past few years, maybe it’s because of how he spoke about Bruce Willis after the Cop Out debacle and maybe old Bruce carries a lot of clout. Or maybe it’s something to do with his past relationship with Harvey Weinstein. But whatever it is, producing He Man isn’t exactly a great reflection of a once talented film maker....

3 hours ago, gone fishin' said:

He's doing this really weird road show for the film where he basically goes from city to city. Its an awful way of releasing something. And means like everyone else I'm unable to see it. 

6 hours ago, Gambit said:

He's doing this really weird road show for the film where he basically goes from city to city. Its an awful way of releasing something. And means like everyone else I'm unable to see it. 

Its the best way to maximise PSA for a film like this, which will get totally lost on a wide release. He's also having a ball doing it. Makes total sense. Build word of mouth for the VOD release.

8 hours ago, gone fishin' said:

This was the guy who, along with Quentin Tarantino amongst others, was heralding a new “Hollywood” (or at least a new wave of movies) in the early 90s. Being a show runner for a revival of an 80s cartoon, along with how this has been released, just how much kudos he carries in movie making now. 

I don’t know why it is, maybe it’s because his output has been abysmal over the past few years, maybe it’s because of how he spoke about Bruce Willis after the Cop Out debacle and maybe old Bruce carries a lot of clout. Or maybe it’s something to do with his past relationship with Harvey Weinstein. But whatever it is, producing He Man isn’t exactly a great reflection of a once talented film maker....

He was never a great film maker. Clerks is aces because it hit a certain zeitgeist. He's never in his life made an objectively great movie. 

Its not that he's blacklisted. He's very popular indeed. It's that he makes bad films for a tiny audience of Gen X's who all have kids now and can't get to a cinema. He was given a shot with Bruce Willis and a budget and he blew it in very big style. He's not a film maker by any metric. he's a film fanatic and brilliant commentator who made an amazing debut.

Yeah, I saw this at the PCC and he said as much himself. It's also quite telling that the entire audience was (unsurprisingly) made up of people around the same age who grew up with his stuff, he's clearly not made a single new fan in decades but the ones he does have are still very loyal, and make this format of release appealing.

For what it's worth I enjoyed the film, in that context with that audience at least. I have no desire to see it again but as a weird, ironic swansong to his last ironic swansong it occasionally hits the feels. Once again Affleck's scene is the best of the film, and I was staggered to learn he only wrote it a week before they wrapped. Damon's one was funny as well.

I really, really don't think there's any mileage left in these characters now though, so his talk of Clerks 3 and Mallrats 2 doesn't hold much appeal. He admitted he'd already used the best ideas from those two scripts for this.

6 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

Yeah, I saw this at the PCC and he said as much himself. It's also quite telling that the entire audience was (unsurprisingly) made up of people around the same age who grew up with his stuff, he's clearly not made a single new fan in decades but the ones he does have are still very loyal, and make this format of release appealing.

For what it's worth I enjoyed the film, in that context at least. I have no desire to see it again but as a weird, ironic swansong to his last ironic swansong it occasionally hits the feels. I really, really don't think there's any mileage left in these characters now though, so his talk of Clerks 3 and Mallrats 2 doesn't hold much appeal. He admitted he'd already used the best ideas from those two scripts for this.

Once again, Affleck's scene is the best in the movie. Damon's one is good as well.

I wish him all the will in the world and he hope he gets to keep on making really flawed interesting films. He's one of the good ones. Far too honest and raw for the cynical industry. I'm a big fan of him. I just wish his films didn't suck as much.

I wish Tarantino had a whiff of his humility.

10 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

I wish him all the will in the world and he hope he gets to keep on making really flawed interesting films. He's one of the good ones. Far too honest and raw for the cynical industry. I'm a big fan of him. I just wish his films didn't suck as much.

I wish Tarantino had a whiff of his humility.

Sadly almost everything he said pointed towards him focusing on pure fan service for now, in his own words people didn't want to see him doing anything else. I think he's mistaken in that, but given that these films are such a safe bet for him I can see why he's retreated for now.

He did describe a ridiculous idea called 'Moose Jaws' (Jaws, with a moose) which I'd be far more interested in than Clerks 3, providing they kept the title.

I'll always be thankful for the line of dialogue "What the fuck is the internet?"

Fun fact. And about me obviously. I was approached many years ago about writing a script for Jason mews's directorial debut. I came up with one idea and one idea only. To make him play himself, and be a disgruntled actor, jealous at his friend Kevins success, so he turns into a serial killer. Jason loved it and offered to pay me to write it, but then they didn;t like my pitch as a home invasion movie where he takes Kevin hostage and forces him to make Jason a star.

The film has been made though, based on my premise...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6038042/

• Upvote 1

Fucking hell, that film has quite a cast. Gina Carano, Stan Lee, Teri Hatcher, Dean Cain, Neil from the Inbetweeners, Matt Willis from Busted, Danny Trejo, Caspar van Dien and Judd Nelson.

• Upvote 1

Did you see a few quid for that, Kerraig?

I think the last Kevin Smith work I enjoyed was Red State. That should proper talent for tension and plotting but then wasted the premise on a really weak ending. 

17 hours ago, gone fishin' said:

I play Fortnite with Jay and they are actually still roadshowing it across the US and Canada at the moment although they took time off for thanksgiving. Clerks 3 is getting made actually.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Silent Runner said:

Did you see a few quid for that, Kerraig?

I think the last Kevin Smith work I enjoyed was Red State. That should proper talent for tension and plotting but then wasted the premise on a really weak ending. 

Nah, you can't copywrite an idea. I'm special thanks in the credits, thats all.

You know that Dave Bautista film FINAL SCORE. That was my idea too, and my friend Zach went totally behind my back and pitched it to David Sullivan without telling me, who bought the spec pitch off him for fifty grand and never gave me a penny. He's an exec producer on the film.

The movie business is so scummy. I'm a nice bloke with a big mouth and a lot of trust so I got heavily screwed over several times. But not by JayJay. he's a good egg.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

Nah, you can't copywrite an idea. I'm special thanks in the credits, thats all.

You know that Dave Bautista film FINAL SCORE. That was my idea too, and my friend Zach went totally behind my back and pitched it to David Sullivan without telling me, who bought the spec pitch off him for fifty grand and never gave me a penny. He's an exec producer on the film.

The movie business is so scummy. I'm a nice bloke with a big mouth and a lot of trust so I got heavily screwed over several times. But not by JayJay. he's a good egg.

What a twat Zach is. 

1 hour ago, cassidy said:

What a twat Zach is. 

He fucked it for both of us. I brought an idea to him, to use West Ham stadium before it was torn down to make a 'Die Hard at the FA cup final' film. He then wrote it into a treatment and took it to David Sullivan (the owner of West Ham), while massaging his ego and inadvertently telling him it was his brilliant idea (Billionaires will often engineer these meetings int his way). That then meant that David was free to run with it without us on board as Producer/Director. He got paid for his treatment and we got pushed out. Exactly as I said we would when I told him not to jump the gun yet.

I'm not that bitter. Except of course, I totally am. 

I've made about 4 serious mistakes in my career, and every one of them are the same mistakes I make here. Mouthing off, showing off and being too open and trusting. 

I try to change, but it's just who I am.

Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 14.39.16.png

12 minutes ago, cassidy said:

@kerraig UK some people deserve your trust and should have it. 

Try to find those ones. Rather than not trust anyone. It's not easy granted. 

Thats kind of my philosophy. Weeding out the backstabbers and bastards by sticking with my principles. I'm partnered up now with a hardworking, trusty and brilliant production partner so it filters through. However, if I had taken the ruthless bastard route through each of these four mistakes I'd have a house with a pool in LA by now. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Matt Defis said:

And yet we're such close friends x

You I trust as far as I can piss you :lol:

That's a lie I trust you with my life. 

Any female friends less so. Lucky I don't have any. 

• Upvote 1

Saw this tonight with a 15 minute Q and A session on film shown afterwards. The film has been on for three days and has played to small groups. I'd assume tonight's was the busiest as it was the only one with the DVD extras, but there was about 20 people including my group of four.

In the Q and A he confirms Clerks 3 and a Mallrats 2 and if someone told me yesterday that these were happening I'd think it was a bad idea.  But the Jay and Bob Reboot was a really great experience. The few people in the audience were really laughing and there was a lot of goodwill for the film coming across.  It's too soon for me to say if the film was legitimately funny or not but we laughed all the way through it all the way to the end. It was really good fun to be part of it and I'd gone to see it because I was curious and expected it to be shit.

I think that maybe the experience of watching it at home on your own might  be very different, but in a small cinema with a like minded audience it was great fun, we all laughed a lot and I'd go and see Mallrats 2 on that basis.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, dumpster said:

Saw this tonight with a 15 minute Q and A session on film shown afterwards. The film has been on for three days and has played to small groups. I'd assume tonight's was the busiest as it was the only one with the DVD extras, but there was about 20 people including my group of four.

In the Q and A he confirms Clerks 3 and a Mallrats 2 and if someone told me yesterday that these were happening I'd think it was a bad idea.  But the Jay and Bob Reboot was a really great experience. The few people in the audience were really laughing and there was a lot of goodwill for the film coming across.  It's too soon for me to say if the film was legitimately funny or not but we laughed all the way through it all the way to the end. It was really good fun to be part of it and I'd gone to see it because I was curious and expected it to be shit.

I think that maybe the experience of watching it at home on your own might  be very different, but in a small cinema with a like minded audience it was great fun, we all laughed a lot and I'd go and see Mallrats 2 on that basis.

Who did the Q&A?

5 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

Who did the Q&A?

Kevin Smith answering questions from Twitter, read out in silly voices by Jason Mewes.  Seemed a bit crowbarred in to give the opportunity for them to mention their forthcoming movies.  It was forgettable really.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dumpster said:

Kevin Smith answering questions from Twitter, read out in silly voices by Jason Mewes.  Seemed a bit crowbarred in to give the opportunity for them to mention their forthcoming movies.  It was forgettable really.

Check out the distraction pieces podcast. He goes into really good detail on why the Q&A bit is so important to getting his films shown in theatres. 

Just now, kerraig UK said:

Check out the distraction pieces podcast. He goes into really good detail on why the Q&A bit is so important to getting his films shown in theatres. 

Interesting, can you link to the specific episode?