Sign in to follow this  
Jolly

The Highest Hypes - What's the Most Excited You've Ever Been About a Game?

I saw the thread title and came in to post a story that turned out being fairly similar to the original post. Well, I’ll do it anyway.

So Mario 64 was pretty much all I could think about from when I saw the original report on the 1995 Shoshinkai show on GamesMaster (https://youtu.be/lKBNzjgN_hk) to when the game finally trundled onto UK shelves in March of 1997. I obsessively pored over every scant pre-release screenshot to glean the slightest insight of how this astonishing thing might play like.

But the true torment began on the game’s Japanese release, in July 1996 - almost a full torturous year before the British one. I agaonised over the fact that actual people in the world could play this game right now, and I had to wait a whole other fourteenth of my life to date to do so myself. I read every single review of the import version I could find, over and over again. And then the magazines, officially catering to the tiny import market I guess, but in reality likely providing methadone to desperate obsessives like me, started printing full walkthroughs of the game.

I remember that since Super Play had been axed (with an SM64 review in the final issue), and N64 mag wouldn’t launch until the console did, Future plugged the gap with a “mini-magazine” section in GamesMaster. There they covered the games out in Japan, and then later in the US, but they also had a monthly walkthrough that I read over and over again. I’d compare the info to the screenshots I’d seen and try to imagine the levels in my head. Eventually I found a copy of the US EGM that was for some reason in a local newsagents, and it had a pull-out full walkthrough that even had crude 3D model recreations of all the levels. I remember sometime in the winter of 96/97 I was stood agog in front of the window of the Virgin Megastore on Tottenham Court Road while a US or Japanese N64 played the attract mode with a sign that said “coming soon” next to it.

By the time March finally rolled around and I walked into the Ealing Broadway Electronics Boutique to pick up my console and game I had memorised the position of literally every coin in the game. There was not a single surprise left in there. I still loved it though.

Part of the reason I so utterly spoiled the game for myself was out of fear. It sounds silly now I was genuinely worried that I simply wouldn’t be able to handle the complexity of this new-fangled 3D gaming and needed to prepare myself as thoroughly as possible. Until I actually played the game it was impossible for me to truly imagine what playing a game like that might be like.

Ocarina of Time was a close second to the madness of Mario 64 as well. In the build up to that I’d got the internet and every day I’d check my list of Zelda fansites to see if there were any new screenshots, usually scanned in from Famitsu. I managed to avoid actually spoiling the entire game for myself though.

I remember I got a bit scared again when Mario Sunshine came out that I wouldn’t be any good at 3D Mario without knowing the levels inside-out before I played. Luckily my fears were allayed.

• Upvote 6

Super Smash Bros: Melee

Didn't have a N64 and I'd never played the original but it just looked so stunning that I had to get it. Every magazine or newspaper with images of it - I got; in the end I concocted this game in my head that was nothing like it. After adjusting to to that realisation on release (which didn't take long); I loved it - me and my mate played for 20 hours solid.

Shenmue 3. The pain that I felt at the end of the second game, knowing that the cliffhanger would forever be unresolved, is still raw. I do not care if it is a bit of a let down. That it will (hopefully) exist at all is wonderful.

• Upvote 1

After waiting since 1992 to be able to play something that brought the 3D arcade racing experience home, specifically Virtua Racing, plus reading at least a years worth of Edge coverage, to finally get my hands on a JPN Playstation and Ridge Racer in spring 1995 was an epiphany. I was in Heaven and found myself able to stay at home without pulling my hair out with boredom for the first time in a long while, thus avoiding the madness that was my social life at the time. I played that track to absolute death, killed every Galaxian on every launch after a few days and I knew the track so well I could win blindfolded. Bliss. It saved a few million brain cells as well. Was gutted to find out I had to downgrade to a PAL machine at the launch of WipEout as my NTSC PS1 fucked up the PAL discs audio tracks. It was worth it though but then that game is my second highest of hypes. But yeah as basic as RR seems now it was definitely my most hyped game. Fucking delivered in spades too.

• Upvote 2

The OP reminded me of the Christmas I got my Snes. Before the big day I suspected it had arrived and eventually found it in my mum's wardrobe. Obviously I couldn't open it but just looking at the box with all the Mario Kart art and screenshots of other games was enthralling. 

In terms of positive experiences, and comparatively recent ones, Dark Souls stands out for me. I'd heard a lot about Demon's Souls but hadn't played it, and everything I read about Dark Souls made it sound like a perfect game for me. I think it was even more exciting because around that time we were really getting into the era of AAA games that were quite easy to play through and pretty much guided you all the way. I was really looking forward to a big game that would leave you alone to figure out how to play it. So, even though I rarely preorder games or care about playing on day 1, I made an exception here and was sitting waiting for the post to come the day before release.

The only thing I had been worried about was all the noise about how difficult it was. It sounded really cruel and punishing from the previews and early reviews. And after a few hours I was ready to give up. I couldn't beat the Taurus Demon (of all things) and was disappointed that I was just never going to see the rest of this potentially amazing game. But then I did beat it, after stopping to actually think about how to do it rather than trying to tackle it head on, and after learning some basic stuff about the game mechanics that probably could've been explained. I think in hindsight it was more a need to adjust my thinking from all those other AAA games, which would reward you with progress without much effort. They'd made me get sloppy and lazy and I had to unlearn a lot of bad habits to get how Dark Souls worked. It was also that the game's reputation had preceded it, and I'd built it up in my mind to be this unbeatable challenge, when in fact it wasn't that tough at all when you understood it.

Once I realised that I never looked back. And it's the most incredible game I've ever played.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, deerokus said:

The OP reminded me of the Christmas I got my Snes. Before the big day I suspected it had arrived and eventually found it in my mum's wardrobe. Obviously I couldn't open it but just looking at the box with all the Mario Kart art and screenshots of other games was enthralling. 

I had the same thing happen, well the wardrobe and a console. It was the VCS though. I still remember having to act all surprised on the morning, although saying that I was completely spoilt that year and Santa had also brought me a Raleigh Grifter so the surprised smiles weren't that hard to fake. It didn't kick my video game addiction off though, I was pretty bored with it after a couple of weeks, probably due to me being too busy going on adventures on my Grifter. We got our money's worth from it though as my dad developed an Adventure addiction for a bit.

Pretty much all of my highest levels of gaming excitement were condensed back in the mid 90s, for each time I got a new PC game I'd been saving up for home and first opened the box. There were some lovely box inserts back in those days, with stuff you could pore over before starting the game proper or while setting up the sound card or boot disks. Games like Wing Commander 3 where the included ship guides were as lavish as its other production values.  Planescape: Torment with its poster or Baldur's Gate 2 with its extremely thick and awesome manual also came later. It was just always a pleasure to open the box for many PC games back then. Probably the last format to really do this with the standard off-the-shelf game.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Trumpets said:

I was blown away by Final Fantasy VI (née III) when I played it on my SNES with an adapter cartridge, so when FFVII was announced for the Playstation, which I had just become an owner of, that it would be in 3D and so full of FMV that it had to be spread across three discs, I was beside myself. I will never be that hyped for anything again in my life.

I think for me it was either this for precisely the same reasons or Secret if Mana (fucking loved that game)

6 hours ago, Hylian said:

Actually, I reckon Donkey Kong Country was probably my most anticipated game ever and was my Christmas present 1994. We had a copy of this promotional video which I've not seen for nearly 25 years! I must have watched it every day leading up to Christmas. It doesn't get more 90s than this. Bodacious!

I was very excited about this too. Did anyone else get the random CD album that came with it which had a load of indy tracks on?  Was a decent tracklisting if I recall. 

Dead Rising - I always wanted a shopping mall zombie game since watching Dawn of the Dead as a teenager. The early screenshots of all those zombies on screen at once looked like witchcraft, then things went silent for ages and it reappeared looking even better than those early screens did - got really hyped coming off the back of Resi 4, Capcom firing on all cylinders. Trade mag MVC had a competition with a flash game I just had to win - and I did! (the baseball bat is still besides my bed 13 years later!) the Demo finally came out which was just as fun as I'd hoped - hitting zombies with frying pans (pre heated of course), chopping them in two with the hidden katana, grabbing a load of baseball bats and bowling balls from the sports shop and just pissing around in the mall felt so good. The full game I thoroughly enjoyed but if I'm honest it never came close to the pure fun of the demo. 

Condemned 2 I was so excited for, so excited it was actually the very last game I imported as the US version was a few weeks ahead of the EU release and it was nothing like the great first game. When the story started going off the rails in the final few chapters, I don't think I was ever more dissapointed with a game until Mass Effect 3 did a similar bed shit a few years later. 

I never get really hyper for games anymore (must be an age thing,or diminishing returns maybe) but I gotta say Im really looking forward to Shenmue 3 and Last of Us Part 2.

100% Double Dragon, Afterburner and Operation Wolf (and probably Thunderblade to a slightly lesser extent) releases on the C64. I was absolutely obsessed with these four games and was desperate to have a version of them in my home. I’d probably only be 11 years old or something at the time and was obviously oblivious to the fact that the C64 had pretty much no hope of doing these justice. Which is partly right, because Double Dragon and Afterburner were fucking horseshite (I still have the poster that came with Afterburner somewhere). Surprisingly Thunderblade wasn’t too bad and Op Wolf was actually a damn fine conversion all things considered. 

Its odd that this obsession in some small part still persists today. I’m always buzzed to play these games (3DS ports of AB and Thunderblade were super good) and I’ve lost count of the times I’ve bought DD. 

I remeber getting Sega Ages Vol 1 on the Saturn and my jaw hitting the floor at finally (FINALLY!!!) having a 100% accurate version of Afterburner.  I had a 29” Trinitron CRT at the time.  My 11 year old self’s brain would have melted at the prospect. 

Happy times man.

i deffo relate to @Alex W.with obsessing over MGS2 n’all. I think I bought a Jpn dvd release of the original trailer thingy (jumping off the bridge in the rain) for like £30 I was THAT desperate to see the game.  :)

• Upvote 1

I remember that I frantically went round every game shop in Glasgow (there were a lot of indies then) trying to track down MGS2 the day before release. 

Zelda: Ocarina of Time

I was a subscriber of Nintendo Official Magazine and throughout 1998 I was absorbing all the information about it. Right from the beginning to when Link had dark hair (!) in screenshots to the review where I think it got 98%. Then there was the TV advert which mesmorised me everytime it came on the TV ("thou get the girl. Or play like one"). I even watched the review of it on Live & Kicking Saturday morning. :lol:

Finally I found it in my parents cupboard as it was a Christmas present. Every time the house was empty I'd sneak in and look at the box. I darent take it out for fear of being caught, and I knew it would make christmas morning less special. Christmas 1998 was a special day. Spent all day playing it and it shockingly lived up to the hype. :)

Probably Secret of Mana. Super Play had been pushing it as brilliant for ages and I was getting for Christmas. Getting a game was a rare enough occurrence then for it to be exciting in itself. I don't think I slept that Christmas Eve, I was basically downstairs as soon as I heard my parents go to bed, to the point where I nearly fell asleep in my dinner the next day. In fairness, did not disappoint, especially in multiplayer mode.

1 hour ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Street Fighter II heading to the MegaDrive.

Getting that six button joypad, good times.

Certainly beat playing a car boot sale copy of the ST version with a two button stick. If I could send a message back in time I'd tell myself to use the keyboard, I'd probably be a master on hitbox by now.

Monkey Island 2.

I vividly remember reading Gary Whitta's review of it in ACE magazine and thinking it was the nearest thing I'd ever seen to a playable cartoon (aside from Dragon's Lair, which after spunking loads of money on whenever I was on holiday, I knew full well it was shit). It looked impossibly amazing at the time. 

But it was a good few years before I bought a full on PC (a powerhouse 386 :p). I was living in London, and at that time CEX was a wonderful place to pick things up (Charlie Brooker was there! I bought his SuperKaylo comic), and I bought it for around a tenner.

It was as good as I'd hoped, and after that I formed a long relationship with Lucasarts and their games :)

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Nothing comes close to Halo 2. 

I think I played nothing but Halo:CE for around 6 months when it came out. Utterly revolutionary and progressive, like you’re in some sort of AI combat simulator. The ultimate sandbox shooter even to this day! 

E3 2003’s fake Campaign presentation got me so hyped, E3 2004’s Multiplayer demo looked incredible. 

Got it the game midnight on launch day and played through most of it through the night! What I found was a game far more linear and set-piece, along with narrative driven. I hated it. So much. That’s not even mentioning the cliffhanger ending. 

I revisited it with the MC collection and it’s a FAR better game than what I gave it credit for. Halo 2 is quite a left turn for the series and it’s kinda followed that path since. 

I think Halo 3 got me more. A new Halo game on the next gen console and then this E3 trailer to announce it  :wub:

• Upvote 4

Seiken Densetsu 3/Secret of Mana 2 after the first preview in Super Play. More Secret of Mana, with more characters to chose from? Those graphics? It never came out officially in the western world, of course, and I still haven't played any of the hacked translated ROMs.

Probably Ocarina of Time.

I was in Chicago and I remember seeing a demo pod with it running and I had a quick shot of running up Death Mountain and my mind was blown.

• Upvote 1

Obvs Mario 64 but I really remember RE4 on the cube looking almost impossibly good. I remember showing a mate a clip with the cable car section and he wouldn’t believe it actually looked like that. 

It actually did and it bloody awesome. 

I’d fire that up again tonight no problem. What a game. 

6 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Seiken Densetsu 3/Secret of Mana 2 after the first preview in Super Play. More Secret of Mana, with more characters to chose from? Those graphics? It never came out officially in the western world, of course, and I still haven't played any of the hacked translated ROMs.

It's incredibly pretty... but not actually all that good. The combat is less action orientated and more turned based and loads of bosses just turn into a straight DPS race. I think there's some levelling thing that can make the last boss impossible if you aren't careful.

There's things to like, but I suspect it never came out in the West because it would have needed a ton of balance work.

• Upvote 1

After the brilliance of Sega Rally I was super hyped for Sega Touring Car Championship on the Saturn.  I’d never seen the arcade so imagined a kind of Sega Ridge Racer, with cheesy euro dance music and awesome DTM cars.

Shame it was absolutely dreadful. 

I was likewise very excited about Auto Modellista - expecting JSR x Tokyo Highway Battle x Tokyo Road Race or something to that effect. And it was close, but the handling model was appalling. I loved the way it looked, the customisation options were great, but how they failed to tweak the handling and get it right I'll never know.

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon is perhaps the most disappointing game I’ve ever bought.

- - - 

Errr... now perhaps something that actually delivered, so I don't sound like such a grump :P

And it's got to be Mario 64 – the greatest system launching game of all time. It wasn't just good, was it? It was a genuine paradigm shift </edge>

Sonic 1, Quake 1 and Quake 3 Arena are the ones I can remember getting personally caught up in.

Sonic 1 had the whole 'this is Sega's best game ever' carefully cultivated hype behind it. Even though we had little to go on except (black and white) screenshots in Sega Power for a long time...

Quake had the whole Doom community following its development for months, playing the pre-alpha to death. It's hard to imagine now how mind blowing it was at a time when Doom was considered cutting edge tech.

Quake 3 Arena was at the point where 3D acceleration started to get really good, it was like the benchmark game for first gen GPUs (GeForce 256). I miss that period where every new PC game came in a ridiculous box and hyped up the wazoo. Black & White and Deus Ex were around then as well. And Half-Life of course.

SNES SF2 and MGS2 were the ones I can remember being part of the background noise for months before release. MGS2 and GT2 trailers on heavy rotation on Game Network on Sky.

Currently I'm HYPED for Cyberpunk 2077.

The MGS2 hype was pretty serious, yep – I got that DVD of the intro and made my family watch it. I bought Zone of Enders and definitely played the MGS2 demo that came with it much more than ZoE itself.

But that was also the best bit of the game, for me – the tanker ship. The full release gave me far less joy.