Sign in to follow this  
Jolly

The Highest Hypes - What's the Most Excited You've Ever Been About a Game?

Street Fighter IV's announcement

This was such a "no...they wouldn't...surely..." moment. Street Fighter hadn't been in the public eye for a while - 3rd Strike still had a massive following but it was very much a cult following, and most people's memories of Street Fighter come from Super Turbo. A new numbered game was pretty much unthinkable because nothing much had really happened with the series for a long time, and so when this dropped the hype went through the roof. Street Fighter was coming back, and there was a ton of speculation over whether it would be 2D or 3D, or if that inky art-style was going to be in the final game. In hindsight it felt very much like a nostalgia play, something to grab the attention of those who didn't stick around for Alpha or SFIII, but no matter what your history was with the series, this was pretty special.

Persona 5's announcement

I'll admit that Atlus are some of the worst when it comes to reveal streams - countdowns to countdowns, teasers of teasers, etc... and this had a countdown that lasted for hours whilst Team Persona showed off Arena, Dancing All Night and Q. I think there were mini-countdowns for each of these announcements...however, the longest countdown was still happening throughout the stream, and it was reaching 0 as the show wrapped up. Then there was a new timer, beginning from something like 55.555 seconds, and hype levels exploded. All of the other stream audio faded out as the timer finished, and we got this announcement trailer.

To Golden players this was probably pretty exciting; for those who played P4 in '09, this was unbelievable. And it was just a bunch of chairs and some awkwardly-worded sentences!

• Upvote 4

Right now, Animal Crossing Switch. I literally won't need another game for a couple of years. 

Before now, probably Fallout 4, 3 and NV were 2 of my favourite ever games and I remember watching the E3 conference from Bethesda about 100 times, getting every little bit of information I could out of it. I Pre Ordered 2 of the special "PipBoy" editions the same day, one to play and one to keep under lock and key with my Fallout 3 lunch box edition etc. And as soon as the release date was announced I booked a fortnight off work, this game was going to be the one, it was going to be Fallout 3, but bigger, better, all they had to do was slightly better Fallout 3 and it would be my favourite game of all time!!

Except it wasn't was it, for the first couple of days after release I tried to kid myself that it was amazing, which it wasn't, it was alright. I Kept thinking the story must get better later on and the locations must be brilliant, but they weren't, they were alright. I completed Fallout 4 5 days into my 2 weeks off and so utterly dissapointed played through New Vegas GOTY edition again on my second week. Biggest dissapointment ever and the sole reason I haven't gone within 100 feet of Fallout 76.

• Upvote 4

There are just so many, and many related to the Dreamcast, but the ones that were the most vivid and different are:

Samba De Amigo

So this was the Christmas that I was already looking forward to Shenmue (definitely could have written about this) and Jet Set Radio but Samba De Amigo was the most unique. Sonic Team were, at that time, still my favourite development team and I was in my first year of University in halls, and trying to weigh up if I should really be spending another £100 on videogames. At that time, it was completely uncommon for a game to be that much money. I remember spending time online downloading little snippets of gameplay and trying to imagine how fun it might be, then wondering if it would even work. Also, because it's a Sega game that came from the arcades would I even play it more than a handful of times? I knew if I didn't buy it, I'd never get to play it (still true to this day - I have never had another opportunity to play as intended) and would remain in Japanese arcades alongside drummania and guitar freaks.

Release day comes, I have a 9am lecture and the rest of the afternoon off. Ive made up my mind I want the game now, even though I can't really afford it, but I haven't pre-ordered and I know it's going to be scarce. Head to my local indie who has two copies in - undercutting everyone at £80 - so head to GAME and get them to price-match.

Bring this huge box immediately back to halls on the bus, and start playing. Immediately justified purchase as I have the biggest grin ever. Invite my flatmates in and there is a mixture of bafflement and intrigue - some give it a go and really enjoy and can't get them away.

Samba De Amigo went to many social events in the 3-4 months, creating more bafflement and joy, and remains one of the most unique periods of gaming in my life.

Halo 2

I am sure others will do this far more justice than I, but I have never looked more forward to a sequel than Halo 2. A game I was anticipating as soon as I finished the original Halo. Magazines and Internet message boards would be writing wishlists of what it should do differently, what it should tinker with, and how it should improve. I watched all of the trailers and got exceptionally excited - the Earth trailer when MasterChef highjacked the Ghost was just mesmerising in the possibilities. The dual weilding. The energy sword. The multiplayer trailer on Zanzibar and all of the different routes. I didn't have the community to play multiplayer on Halo 1, and although I dabbled in XKAI, I knew from stories from the Edge forums, how special this would be. Plus, the idea of voice communication across the internet to plan and strategise with others in real-time was something I knew would be incredible (especially after years of hoping for that through playing counterstrike without). I took the day off for Halo 2 and I had signed up for Xbox Live a few months before a played Outrun 2. I still remember the first match online I played was Foundry, and realised very quickly this would consume my life, which it did, for the next 4 years.

• Upvote 9

MGS2, no doubt about it. How I got media of the game is like a microcosm of old/new media: the Sunday Post had a tiny screenshot of it but being a weekly newspaper that was the first glimpse long before I ever saw it in a magazine. Then a cut down trailer on Ex Machina, and a VHS cover mount version. Then they started putting them online, and it was learning to use download managers to get a 30MB trailer in potato quality over several days, only to get it on a PSM2 DVD a month or so later. It was like we were peering at the game through a tiny keyhole which only made the speculation and excitement better. And then the delayed release, which had the weird benefit of conveying - without specific spoilers, just from the atmosphere around the game - that it was something entirely other than expected.

• Upvote 3

I think it was probably Demon's Souls. That game's reputation grew through word of mouth, and when I started to hear things about it and gained some understanding of what it was, I couldn't order it fast enough. It sounded like the perfect game, like it was made for me personally. The wait for the asian copy to arrive from Play-Asia was excruciating. It didn't disappoint.

After that, I reckon it's Ace Combat 7. For a game series I love with a passion, it has been a long wait and at one point I thought i'd never play a new AC game again. When AC6 was xbox exclusive was the first blow, then Assault Horizon being the complete opposite of everything I wanted, then Infinity came out and if I wanted to try for the good stuff I had to invest all of my free time, and as that wasn't enough they also wanted my money for fuel. So this new game in the old tradition is like the 2nd coming for me.

• Upvote 1

Finally finding a copy of Ultima Online while visiting a friend in Munich and realising I'd have to wait 4 full days before I could go home and play it.

Probably Modern Warfare 2. I played quite a lot of MW1 and lapped up all the details I could on the new MP. I remember picking it up from a shop and walking back from work and genuinely saying to myself "now don't get fucking run over". It was pretty good to be fair.

• Upvote 2

I was blown away by Final Fantasy VI (née III) when I played it on my SNES with an adapter cartridge, so when FFVII was announced for the Playstation, which I had just become an owner of, that it would be in 3D and so full of FMV that it had to be spread across three discs, I was beside myself. I will never be that hyped for anything again in my life.

Sonic 2sday. That was the first time I had a game on release, have a super clear memory of getting picked up by my dad, going to Burger King and him giving it to me. I've never downed a Whopper so fast in my life. After a year of rinsing the first game, to the point of setting myself ridiculous challenges to keep it fresh, I was ready for something new.

It's pretty rare that I buy things on release as I try to spend my games money wisely, but it's getting more common now that many things are holding their value better. In past years Metroid Prime, Street Fighter IV (with the added expense of a TE stick) and GTA IV (midnight down at Asda) also spring to mind.

• Upvote 2

Super Street Fighter 2 on SNES. I was about 17 then and played SF2 Turbo with mates pretty much every night. And then there was a new one coming out, with new characters and moves and stuff.

I decided I was going to get it the moment the US version was available and made my way to a shop in Birmingham (about 30 miles away) that sold import stuff especially to get it. I paid £80 for it, and had to get a new adaptor because it didn't work with older models.

There was of course immense excitement among the group when I first brought it back. For a few days we played on it loads. But then, gradually, it turned out that no one really liked the new characters and just didn't like it as much as Turbo after all. Even I begrudgingly had to admit it wasn't worth it. Within a couple of weeks we were back to playing Turbo.

• Upvote 1

Half-Life. It's an odd one, in that the hype train was something of an express service, only getting started a month or two before it came out. But good god, it sounded like a revolution: brilliant AI, making every encounter different. Bosses requiring brain rather than brawn to deal with. Dynamic, breakable environments to explore and puzzle your way through. Magnificent storytelling told as you played, rather than relying on cutscenes. Clearly, this was the alpha and omega of FPS's!

I consumed everything I could about the game, from magazine articles to even downloading quicktime videos of the game on our 56k connection. I could. Not. Wait.

And then it came out, and, well... The "brilliant" AI was enemies that would occasionally trigger a canned animation, and otherwise act with all the intelligence and dynamism of Quake II's Strogg. The boss "puzzles" amounted to "walk a bit slowly in this bit". The dynamic environments were just (occasionally disguised) linear  corridors filled with pre-scripted events. And the exciting alternative to cut-scenes was... Bits where the game trapped you in a room and told its story at you.

Thankfully Thief came out a few weeks later to far less fanfare and proved an actual evolution in first person game, AI and level design, so I had a good Christmas at least.

• Upvote 2

Modern Warfare 2. I put 60 odd days into COD4 mp on my main account and had a several Smurf accounts with a day or two on them. Me and my mate were completely obsessed with it. For like six months before MW2 came out I obsessed over every detail of it I could find. I made a little countdown calendar for it. 

Was so disappointing when I finally got it. Wasn't bad perse. Just not as good as COD4, and not even close to meeting my expectations.

Pretty much every time I've been super hyped for a game I've ended up somewhat disappointed by it. 

Super Mario Sunshine. 

From launch, I had my spice orange Jap GC with US switcher button on the back, imported from Lik Sang I think. If I remember correctly, it came with Monkey Ball, Luigis Mansion, and Waverace, memory cards and a spare controller. Star Wars followed. Pikmin too. But the whole reason for getting that GC, like all Nintendo hardware, was for Mario and Zelda.

The screenshots in magazines at the time looked amazing. Impressions suggested it was a significant step up from Mario 64. Larger worlds, the jet pack would offer the option for incredible acrobatics and there would be multiple secrets that you'd have to find for yourself. Nintendo would once again deliver something incredibly special, something only they could do. SHINE GET!

So eventually it arrived through the post. It felt like all my Christmas's rolled into one.

But something was off. It wasn't much fun. In fact, it was a little bit shit in parts. The jet pack added nothing to the game. Cleaning up oil wasn't fun, just busywork. I missed having snow levels, desert levels, pirate ship levels. I didn't really want to admit it to myself and tried to persevere, but by the time I went to that fairground with the big wheel, I was done with it. Even the void levels couldn't rescue it from mediocrity.

I vowed never to get my hopes up that highly for a game again. Sunshine broke my heart.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 4

Actually, I reckon Donkey Kong Country was probably my most anticipated game ever and was my Christmas present 1994. We had a copy of this promotional video which I've not seen for nearly 25 years! I must have watched it every day leading up to Christmas. It doesn't get more 90s than this. Bodacious!

• Upvote 3

If I'm being honest, it's probably Wargroove right now. Everything about it sounds perfect: the ideal evolution of Advance Wars, which is my favourite game ever. 

I'm 38. I shouldn't be this excited for a downloadable title at my age. But it's been too long and the younger version of me who bought the GBA game in Asda on a whim and fell in love with turn based strategy has taken hold. 

5 days left!

• Upvote 4

Ocarina of Time December 1998 no contest. After years of waiting, delays etc. it was finally here. Even reviews were carried out in some bizarre clandestine manner where journos were only allowed to review it at Nintendo Europe under tight supervision, so to actually have it in my hands, to own it, was the most excited I'd ever been over a game. I still love it now and it still holds up in every respect.

Breath of The Wild and brand new Switch hardware comes a close second though, that got me pretty excited.

• Upvote 4

58 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

Mass Effect Andromeda comes close.

After reading the reviews I returned it still sealed to avoid depression. :(

Shame, it was brilliant. More Mass Effect, most akin to the first.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MW_Jimmy said:

There are just so many, and many related to the Dreamcast, but the ones that were the most vivid and different are:

Samba De Amigo

So this was the Christmas that I was already looking forward to Shenmue (definitely could have written about this) and Jet Set Radio but Samba De Amigo was the most unique. Sonic Team were, at that time, still my favourite development team and I was in my first year of University in halls, and trying to weigh up if I should really be spending another £100 on videogames. At that time, it was completely uncommon for a game to be that much money. I remember spending time online downloading little snippets of gameplay and trying to imagine how fun it might be, then wondering if it would even work. Also, because it's a Sega game that came from the arcades would I even play it more than a handful of times? I knew if I didn't buy it, I'd never get to play it (still true to this day - I have never had another opportunity to play as intended) and would remain in Japanese arcades alongside drummania and guitar freaks.

Release day comes, I have a 9am lecture and the rest of the afternoon off. Ive made up my mind I want the game now, even though I can't really afford it, but I haven't pre-ordered and I know it's going to be scarce. Head to my local indie who has two copies in - undercutting everyone at £80 - so head to GAME and get them to price-match.

Bring this huge box immediately back to halls on the bus, and start playing. Immediately justified purchase as I have the biggest grin ever. Invite my flatmates in and there is a mixture of bafflement and intrigue - some give it a go and really enjoy and can't get them away.

Samba De Amigo went to many social events in the 3-4 months, creating more bafflement and joy, and remains one of the most unique periods of gaming in my life.

My student halls were also blessed with a guy who came back after the Christmas break that year with Samba De Amigo and maracas. God bless him and you.

• Upvote 1

Nothing comes close to Halo 2. 

I think I played nothing but Halo:CE for around 6 months when it came out. Utterly revolutionary and progressive, like you’re in some sort of AI combat simulator. The ultimate sandbox shooter even to this day! 

E3 2003’s fake Campaign presentation got me so hyped, E3 2004’s Multiplayer demo looked incredible. 

Got it the game midnight on launch day and played through most of it through the night! What I found was a game far more linear and set-piece, along with narrative driven. I hated it. So much. That’s not even mentioning the cliffhanger ending. 

I revisited it with the MC collection and it’s a FAR better game than what I gave it credit for. Halo 2 is quite a left turn for the series and it’s kinda followed that path since. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Nothing comes close to Halo 2. 

I thinkni playednothing but Halo:CE for around 6 months when it came out. Utterly revolutionary and progressive, like you’re in some sort of AI combat simulator. The ultimate sandbox shooter even to this day! 

E3 2003’s fake Campaign presentation got me so hyped, E3 2004’s Multiplayer demo looked incredible. 

Got it the game midnight on launch day and played through most of it through the night! What I found was a game far more linear and set piece along with narrative driven. I hated it. So much. That’s not even mentioning the cliffhanger ending. 

I revisited it with the MC collection and it’s a FAR better game than what I gave it credit for. Halo 2 is quite a left turn for the series and it’s kinda followed that path since. 

Pretty much my experience of it too, and whilst I defintely appreciate it more these days I still don't like dual wielding, it killed the simplicity of what made Halo so special. But yeah, hype was insane for Halo 2.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, CovisGod said:

Right now, Animal Crossing Switch. I literally won't need another game for a couple of years. 

This. Plus whatever the Dishonored team at Arkane Studios are working on.

I was pretty excited for Half-Life 3, once upon a time. :(

In the last few years Battlefront 2, turns out I don’t like it anywhere near as much as Battlefront 1 and have barely played it the last 12 months, why isnt supremecy mode in it??(or it wasn’t, can’t be arsed checking) in fact I might delete it as it’s near enough 100gb, big disappointment

55 minutes ago, Rob Rule said:

Shame, it was brilliant. More Mass Effect, most akin to the first.

Really? I’ll admit the combat was tightened up a bit but generally I thought it was terrible.

I also don’t really think it had much of the magic that made 1 so special - the universe in 1 is some sort of grainy, creepy 70s sci-fi / Captain Scarlet/ cyberpunk horror mashup. This has more of a ME2 vibe - polished, friendly, cheesy, Firefly/ Joss Whedon/ Fisher Price thing going on, with an even less player-driven ending than vanilla ME3. 

6 hours ago, Jolly said:

I completely ruined Super Mario 64 for myself. I was so ludicrously excited for the release that I read absolutely everything about it that I could lay my hands on, including the mini-guide that came with N64 Magazine and revealed the location of every single star. I didn't just read this thing once, I read it cover to cover, weekly, up until my birthday when I would finally get the machine and game. Before I had even picked up the pad, I had dedicated the entire thing to memory like I was preparing for an appearance on You Bet.

This as well. Although I was in my early 20s at the time. I was on holiday the week before release and was almost sick with anticipation. Never been looking forward to a game so much and it delivered in spades.

• Upvote 1