dumpster

All time greatest gaming moment

What's the biggest "holy shit, this is incredible" you've ever had in a game? 

For me, the first time I did VR. A genuine "this is the future" moment. 

Vulcan Venture - Arcade. Those planets with dragons leaping out of the fire.

Ridge Racer on PS1, as the arcade finally came to the home. Didn't even notice the resolution. 

The absolute chaos of EDF2017 in the later levels. 

Deadly Premonition when Kaysen has Emily in the theatre. I mean, Holy shit! 

• Upvote 2

We've done this so many times, but for me it'll always be the stunning polygon waves of Wave Race 64. The water in Sea of Thieves is also superb.

• Upvote 7

When you first play through a "remix" in Rhythm Tengoku.

When you come up with a ridiculous plan to complete one of Portal's test chambers... and it works.

When Iridis Alpha's absurdly complex ruleset finally makes sense and you feel like God. Best game.

I can't pick one specific example, but Psyche-Locks in Phoenix Wright were an amazing addition, finally bringing together the exploration sequences and the cross-examinations... and they deliver some of the best surprises in the series. When a normal conversation is interrupted by the screen going black and four or five locks appearing, it's pretty exciting.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Starting Mario 64 and simply running around. Never had I experienced such freedom in a virtual environment and it felt fluid and intuitive.

This is the actual answer. For everyone. All of us. Surely.

• Upvote 7

Two different questions.

The all-time greatest gaming moment is when Head meets Heels at the market and you fuse them together. We can close the book on that right away.

As for "What's the biggest "holy shit, this is incredible" you've ever had in a game?" I haven't a VR experience under my belt, and I reckon that would make a big difference.

My first all-nighter on Sleep is Death would be a big contender, but I was lucky with my partner.

Another shout would be my first playthrough of This War of Mine. It really hurt. It was an awful emotional strain, and unique to its medium.

12 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

This is the actual answer. For everyone. All of us. Surely.

Probably is to be fair. 

Up until that point it was seeing F-Zero running on the SNES and wondering how on Earth it was possible. 

Aye, it's VR. I mean, like many of us here now I've been gaming for over 30 years. You'd think in that time you've seen pretty much everything that could really blow you away.

But then I hooked up the PSVR kit, and the first game I put on was Batman. That opening scene ... :o

• Upvote 2

In chronological order:

Editing to add the first ever holy shit moment from before I even used the word shit - discovering the Rainbow Islands secret stages were actually real.

An early scene in FFVIII when you are controlling Squall and the camera starts to move, the static background blending seamlessly into some FMV in a big cinematic swoop. That's nothing these days, but back then it was jaw-dropping for me.

Rez on the Dreamcast, run through a crystal clear projector and hooked up to a decent sound system - the legendary running man on stage 4 was a defining moment.

Ico; Yorda calling me and helping to reveal the path forward in an instinctive way. Until that point I had been stuck, running around aimlessly, and hadn't ever paid attention to Yorda unless she was grabbed.

Shadow of the Colossus; Pick any moment I guess, but it's probably when I caught on to the wing of the first flying Colossus. Breath-taking.

Next was LittleBigPlanet. Not really a single moment, but as someone who has always enjoyed games as a private/personal experience those early days doing 4-player co-op were a game changer for me. Then getting into the creation side and  having a dream about an idea, waking up from it and calling in sick to work so I could build it. That creation (a vending machine with a PIN number switch) earned me my first platinum trophy, which I had thought was impossible. 

Going down the long path towards the Dragon God in Demon's Souls and seeing the full scale of the thing for the first time.

The next one is probably Rez again, in PSVR. Not the first time I put the headset on though. I recall being a bit unimpressed by the opening title screen. But the first time in stage 1, looking around the environment - was a religious experience.

The latest and greatest, and one I will probably be talking about another ten years down the line, is from Astro Bot:

When you are swallowed by the whale. I literally cowered in my seat.

• Upvote 3

All of Metal Gear Solid, from the moment the intro began I was like, holy shit. 

The rain and atmosphere at the beginning of A Link To The Past.

The end of Riddick, the feeling of (over) empowerment is unsurpassed.

When Link sets foot out the cave in Breath of The Wild.

Seeing Dragon's Lair for the first time.

Doing a dragon punch.

Docking in Elite, actually, just seeing and playing Elite and the freedom it gives you.

Climbing up the cathedral in Assassin's Creed.

• Upvote 3

PSVR was amazing to me. The biggest leap since 3D. 

Other than that I think the opening line...

"Welcome! Welcome to City 17! You have chosen, or been chosen, to relocate to one of our finest remaining urban centers."

And everything that followed up to and including the none existant sequel was spectacular. 

The other one that sticks out to me is landing on Tallon in Metroid Prime for the first time with the rain bouncing off Samus' blaster. 

Oh, oh! And all of MGS3! 

• Upvote 2

The more i think about it the more come to mind.

Fighting 'The End' on extreme boss mode in MGS3 and spending literally a couple of hours on it, afraid to move - searching for the glint of light on his scope, or the sound of him snoring. I remember thinking something like "this is fucking incredible and I can't take it anymore".

The last stage of After Burner Climax, taking the open river path with 5 stars and chaining climax after climax on the hordes of enemies successfully - so hard to achieve but it's like gaming crack when you experience it. SE-GA!

• Upvote 1

Gaming is full of jaw dropping moments, but one that immediately springs to mind is playing an early build of WipEout 2097 and seeing the earthquake weapon for the first time. I was just utterly gobsmacked when the whole track deformed in front of me.

I haven't tried modern VR yet (I reckon it was about 1994 that last time I tried it. It made me vomit), but the current gen does a good job of blowing me away on a fairly regular basis. When you look at games like Forza Horizon 4 and compare it where we were a few years ago, it's just astounding.

Slightly surprised no one has gone with "the first time I got called a f****t n****r by an American teenager on Xbox Live"

Seeing Daytona in the arcades in the '90s.

I'd read about 3D being the cool thing in magazines but had only really seen it in Starfox maybe, possibly that was later. I'd seen Virtua Racing and Fighter but they seemed just like better, arcade versions of the kind of thing Starfox was doing. I thought it was novel and interesting but found the bare faced polygons a bit bland compared to the artwork of 2D games.

It was seeing Daytona at 60fps on that big screen that made me understand that this was where we were heading and I finally understood why.

Having said all that, I still mainly play 2D stuff 25 years later.

• Upvote 2

My mates older brother had either a Mega CD or Saturn and he had Euro 96, id never seen a football game with dynamic tv camera before, and had real players with commentary!! It was on the big downstairs telly aswell, Couldnt believe it, no doubt looks like utter crap now, the game could of played like crap aswell no idea..

Deus Ex was a big one for me too. I hadn't really played games in a few years and was laid up in bed ill for a while, so got a couple of things to pass the time on my laptop. Half-Life was amazing, but the freedom in Deus Ex was what really hooked me back into the medium. An action game where you could actually use your brain and solve problems creatively was a real revelation for me at the time.

Knight Lore. Big wtf moment. Also the Game Boy. I couldn't believe it wasn't going to move like a Game & Watch game right until I played one.

• Upvote 1

The last time was Astrobot in VR.

Time before that was the opening to Silent Cartographer.

Time before that was running around in Mario 64.

The first time was playing Pong on a binatone console in 1976.

Not sure there'll be a next time (unless I live long enough for Ready Player One to come true).

Hitman: Blood Money. Curtains Down.

Blood Money was my first Hitman game. I remeber playing the first couple of levels and not quite 'getting' how the game was meant to be played. I was killing the targets, but making a bit of a meal of the whole things with a trail of bodies a mile wide.

Then I got to Curtains Down. I remember exploring the level and watching the rehearsal of the assassination scene on the stage. Figured my way backstage. Seeing the prop gun. And I remember thinking "No...this won't work. The game is definitely not that clever" as I swapped the prop for my weapon. 

Cue the rehearsal scene. Cue the gun going off in the actors hand and your target getting killed. Cue me, sat there open mouthed at what just happened, completely blown away. Made me look at the game in a different light. More like a puzzle game. One of my all time favourite gaming memories. 

• Upvote 3

Plugging my Saturn in and booting up Daytona. Having the theme play and it being (to my dumb I experienced eyeballs) arcade in the home that really got me going. Then Crazy Taxi on the Dreamcast did the exact same thing but it actually was arcade perfect.

• Upvote 1