IGNORED

Stormdivers - Housemarque Does Battle Royale

Nespresso

Unannounced AAA Game

Ugh, unless all of those A's stand for "arcade" this is gonna be more boring shit, isn't it?

May as well go the whole hog and make a 3rd person, open world, story driven action adventure, buy the "Plankton Man" license and throw in some quicktime combat to seal the deal.

Rllmuks game of the year 2020.
The nondescript, bloated, fat, daft knacker corpse of gaming drifts away on a sea of idiot piss and indifference.

v94LUVL.jpg

See ya!

ClJ65dn.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Ouch. I doubt these poor guys have stopped crying since Apex Legends got launched. Blindsided by the surprise release of a thematically similar game that has plopped out fully formed and about ten times more polished, day one. While you still faff about with your beta signups. It's a cruel business.

10 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Yeah, it doesn't bode well. What do they do though? They can't just stop after what they've invested but they're also pretty much guaranteed to be dead out of the gate. Like you say, cruel business.

Who knew lazily chasing the latest fad (along with all the companies with far greater resources) carries massive risk. If only someone had said. 

5 hours ago, deerokus said:

Who knew lazily chasing the latest fad (along with all the companies with far greater resources) carries massive risk. If only someone had said. 

They probably did what they thought best because what they were doing before obviously wasn't working, despite the critical acclaim. I doubt they went into a new genre as a smaller developer lightly, but they're obviously out of their depth so it's not very fair to think they intentionally went half arsed on a currently popular genre.

I honestly feel bad for Housemarque. They put much effort and love in these Arcade games that apearantly no one bought, and are now reduced to following the BR trend hoping to make a buck. I do not believe for a second them jumping on the BR bandwagon is an artistic choice.

17 Minute Doc about Nex Machina.

Can't help but feel that if they'd focussed on tweaking the arcade style games they had a proven track record with in order to make them stand out more to a general audience in terms of graphics etc they might have ended up with more financial success than this game seems destined for. They might have had to reduce the team size if the market wasn't there for the scale of game they were making but that will probably happen anyway if/when this bombs.

Maybe even a Switch port of Nex Machina,Resogun etc. They almost seem like games that might appeal to people in handheld form, but who knows. Not as popular as Fortnite I'm sure.

Not sure I'd say I "feel sorry" for the company. The regular staff, sure, but this seems to me like one of the most misguided moves I've seen a game company make.

This game had zero hype etc before Apex Legends came along, but I guess it will be used as an example of just plain old bad luck, as opposed to an idea that was misguided from the beginning.

(If Stormdivers doesn't bomb I'll gladly eat my words.)

41 minutes ago, df0 said:

I honestly feel bad for Housemarque. They put much effort and love in these Arcade games that apearantly no one bought, and are now reduced to following the BR trend hoping to make a buck. I do not believe for a second them jumping on the BR bandwagon is an artistic choice.

17 Minute Doc about Nex Machina.

Note to self: I need to play much more Nex Machina. 

They did not chase a trend, much in the same way Sumo Digital didn't copy Nintendo, Sod's Law in action.

You come up with an idea, and during development some other fucker(s) gets their version of that very same idea out first. Battle Royale as an idea has existed for years, but only hit the mainstream less than 2 years ago. Development for this game started years ago.

It is also - lest we forget - a battle royale shooter, one of a great many scheduled for release over the next year. According to Haveri, however, Housemarque was actually further ahead of the curve than it may seem; the first pitch for Stormdivers came from an internal meeting in February 2015, and the studio started prototyping in the spring of 2016. "At that point we were thinking of it as Smash Bros. meets Hunger Games," he says. "And a lot of that still lives on."