IGNORED

Stormdivers - Housemarque Does Battle Royale

Nespresso

Mz32MCp.png

Beta Sign-Up | Steam

Check out our newest trailer! Made for the Kinda Funny Games Showcase

Stormdivers is Housemarque's first gaming experience of a new era. A high flying and heavy hitting multiplayer centric experience. Focusing on team play in a futuristic island setting. The aim is to not only survive other players, but also the island with its endless threats.

I thought we already had a thread for this? Anyway I have to be honest, it ain't looking too hot. Especially considering the studio it's made by. That said, perhaps this is the one BR game that would actually be fun to play? I've spend some time with the other BR games but they just don't do it for me (and that includes CS:GO's recent entry into the genre). If this once again requires you to look at the ground for the first half of the match or mess around with inventories... I'm oot! 

Watched the trailer again and I saw it lets you put down a shield/wall like Fortnite. The generation growing up with videogames these days certainly don't have a shortage of crutches do they? :lol:

Anyway I signed up for the beta and instantly got a key so might as well give it a go and see how this title (hopefully) improves over time. 

I absolutely love some of their output (Super Stardust HD and Resogun are two of my most played games) but this looks derivative at best.

Saying that, online FPS/TPS aren't my cup of tea so what do I know?

Maybe the trailer is doing it an injustice, I hope it does well for them.

It looks so bad. It has the stench of management all over it.

I appreciate they were having difficulties with their old games selling but making a BR game that looks like this isn't going to do it for them in the slightest. Anyone wanting to jump on that particular band wagon at the moment has to have something special. This aint it.

I knew it was coming, but that trailer still made me feel genuinely depressed.

July 2017 - https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/6jt7a1/iama_makers_of_nex_machina_housemarque_here_with/djgxvc0/

Are there any other favorite old arcade games that you would like to try and remake and make it your own?

I'd also love to make a traditional scrolling shmup, and DoDonPachi would be my closest reference for that. Though it would probably need to be a horizontal shooter to work better with modern aspect ratios.

These are all just the top of my head. It will be a long time before that well of inspiration dries up.

I can only hope that the kidz mop this crap up, ditch fortnite in favour of the exciting, unique, brightly coloured world of ... (scrolls up) stormdivers, housemarque become multi millionaires and get to make whatever the hell they like before civilisation collapses.

I have to say, I wasn't expecting something so generic and devoid of life.

I don't want to remember you like this :( Just pull the trigger already.

They would genuinely been better off sticking to the shmup genre . This is wayyyyyy to late . Battle royals now needs to have something spectacular to win people over and this doesn’t look to be it . Such a shame because resogun and nexmachina are masterpieces .

In their defence, hadn't they committed to this being their next project before the genre went nuts? Think it's more bad timing than a cynical cashgrab effort.

Mixed feelings here mind. They make smooth as silk, incredibly playable games, but I don't see anything in the trailer that looks to set this apart. Fortnite's ambient narrative has left the rest of this stuff in the dust.

Rooting for Housemarque though. They've given me plenty of joy with earlier titles.

10 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

They would genuinely been better off sticking to the shmup genre . This is wayyyyyy to late . Battle royals now needs to have something spectacular to win people over and this doesn’t look to be it . Such a shame because resogun and nexmachina are masterpieces .

Yeah, I mean I get the frustration that they just didn't get the sales needed to sustain their business with the shmups, but I think they would have been better scaling back and releasing less games of the same quality, rather than changing track completely. This looks like a train wreck and just graphically speaking, it looks entirely bland. I don't have a single drop of interest in the battle royale genre, so I'll be steering well clear of this anyway, but it will be sad if this is their swan song.

I'd imagine if it does break them, the business will be wound down but the core team will quickly reform and create some fresh 2D classics!

I'd love to see them make a trad vertical shmup. That Dodonpachi quote makes me think how great that would be and then they start talking about modern aspect ratios and I just think their priorities really aren't mine. Also, while I appreciate their obvious raw disappointment, the 'arcade is dead' open letter didn't sit at all well with me. Arcade is very healthy, indeed, and you need only look at the number of shmups available and coming soon to the Switch to see that there is a market if you budget accordingly. 

That arcade is dead letter didn't do them any favours in terms of publicity. They'd have been better off saying nothing.

I'm a big fan of their games, bought Nex Machina twice (pc and ps4) etc.

Their games have great gameplay and mechanics but pretty boring artstyles.

They seem like a company of great engineers who are less interested in the art/aesthetic side of the games.

Unfortunately a compelling arcade experience should be a combination of catchy tunes, cool art and compelling gameplay. It's not the early 80s anymore where gameplay is all you need.

Compare their voxel art style to the aesthetic of something like Cuphead, an arcadey game that people went nuts for.

I think they might have been better off hiring some artists instead of chasing after that sweet battle royale money.

Also, this game looks boring and again the artstyle is meh.

I totally agree, their games look devoid of personality. The voxel thing might be technically impressive but I don't find it satisfying to observe. I'd go further to say that it obfuscates gameplay. The colour cues are also very generic and superficially invoke mobile game aesthetics. While there's 'a lot going on', the artistic direction is fundamentally bland and derivative. That's why their sales have suffered; visually, they've failed to capture the attention or imagination of a wider audience.

Stormdivers looks to continue in the same vein. I can well imagine it playing responsively, having a great feel to the shooting mechanics and maintaining a solid 60fps or whatever, but it looks so uninspired. If you want to make an impact in a saturated genre, you have to be different as well as very good. 

Oh god, you might be right. I shouldn't be so surprised. When you're not being blinded by voxels and amazing gameplay, that's what their games look like!

I love the look of nex machina and the sparse, coloured in vectrex look of resogun, but you're right about the voxels, once you've gone "oooooh" a few times it would be nice to be able to turn them off.

On nex machina, after you've chinned the end of level boss, there's a big explosion and the screen fills with voxels and you have to keep moving, trying to find a clean bit of the screen so you can see the decreasing circles around your character and properly time the end of level dash bonus.

I know you and others find that game hard to read, I think I just got lucky, after 30 minutes or so, I could somehow blind myself to the chaos and see through all the mess. I remember people in the thread going "wow, this looks like a mess"

and I remember reassuring them going "don't worry, after 30 minutes, you only see the things you need to see" but I don't think that's true of everyone.

5 hours ago, geldra said:

They need to jump on the Exa-Arcadia bandwagon and get their shooter stuff on it. 

Shame they have so many mouths to feed and don't want to drop any staff until it's totally necessary. Like others have said, thinning out their numbers, turning a few lights off, they had enough of a loyal following to keep them going, concentrate on getting some of their stuff on the switch, make an exa port and see how that goes. It didn't have to end this way!

Yeah, generic is the last word I’d use to describe the look of Nex Machina. I really liked the way the visuals mixed harsh, geometric outlines with more organic shapes and vegetation, and the way that each arena was situated on random sides of huge cube shapes; it was surreal and really distinctive. Plus, the music wasn’t the trance-ey, Jeff Minter-ey stuff you’d expect, the guitar motif from the title screen was lovely.

About the only thing missing from the game – and this is very obscure, but it still bugs me – is an attract sequence with a scrolling bit of text setting out the game’s background and associated lore. The game replicates the feel of Smash TV, Robotron and Total Carnage so well that it’s really crying out for something similar.

Their other games are less distinctive, admittedly.

I thought Outland was a minor masterpiece. Managed to capture the charm of old Amiga platform adventures but none of the jank or sociopathic difficulty.

Contrary to that infamous statement they put out I feel like we're living in a golden age of arcade style games, it's difficult to understand how a studio of their pedigree weren't making money. I've mentioned this before on here but I would've bought Nex Machina if the PC version system requirements weren't ridiculous and of course no Xbox version for... reasons?

Stormdivers seems like grasping at straws. With a good arcade game, you can watch a video and get a sense of how it moves, how it will feel to play, and then you want to try it yourself. You'd hope a studio that focused on that could translate the same immediacy to other genres but you watch the Stormdivers video and it looks like the shooting mechanics from Red Faction Guerilla or something... odd.

At the risk of getting negged for bringing up the usual, I think almost every game that's used evoking of a nostalgic style as a selling point has been kinda mediocre at best.

There's that 90s racing game that took the money from nostalgic people and ran, there have been like three retro themed shooters on PC all of which have had "!!! OMG" hype based on kitschy retro marketing before instantly finding out they're crap when playable, with main mechanics that straight up don't work. There's most of the stuff on Switch store, etc.

Nostalgia pandering seems to be the easiest thing in the world to separate people from their money, and so there's a right load of shit using it that never gets called out because people get warm fuzzies from it. Not much relevance to this thread, but there you go.

4 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

there have been like three retro themed shooters on PC all of which have had "!!! OMG" hype based on kitschy retro marketing before instantly finding out they're crap when playable, with main mechanics that straight up don't work.

Which ones out of interest?

A recent very retro FPS on the PC has been receiving an awful lot of praise, and not just from old people with the goggles on. It looks like a massive throwback game with an aesthetic that looks right out of the 90s too.

On 27/01/2019 at 10:26, Stanshall said:

Arcade is very healthy, indeed, and you need only look at the number of shmups available and coming soon to the Switch to see that there is a market if you budget accordingly. 

So healthy that practically all the established professional teams are dormant or had to quit, and you are left with people working with fuckall money to hold the fort and stop the lights going out. By that standard, practically all genres are healthy, even ancient ones like text adventures.

On 26/01/2019 at 19:30, Flub said:

RIP Housemarque.

They ain't putting all their eggs into this basket, they'll likely reveal their other known project at some point.