rllmuk
Goose

Christopher Nolan's Tenet - Espionage Movie

I’m not still not feeling it. Nor do I have any idea as to what’s going on in any of the fight scenes.

• Upvote 1

Moved slightly from 17 July to 31 July. Instead, the 17th will see a 10th(!) anniversary re-release of Inception.

Wouldn’t mind watching Inception again at the cinema. I fell asleep the first time I saw it (not a reflection on the film btw).

• Empathy 1

6 hours ago, Fierce Poodle said:

Wouldn’t mind watching Inception again at the cinema. I fell asleep the first time I saw it (not a reflection on the film btw).

Is this the most meta film-going experience of all time? Incep-Inception-tion?

BWAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!

Sorry. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, JohnC said:

Moved slightly from 17 July to 31 July. Instead, the 17th will see a 10th(!) anniversary re-release of Inception.

And I bet it'll slip again to August 

It was shown a few months ago, you’re just experiencing linear time the wrong way.

• Upvote 2

On 13/06/2020 at 09:26, Fierce Poodle said:

Saw it before the lockdown at the BFI. Can't recommend seeing it again on the big screen enough.

On 13/06/2020 at 01:18, JohnC said:

Cinemas won't generally be open by July 31st will they?

I want to see this film, but I'm not going to the cinema any time soon. I suspect a whole lot of people feel the same.

1 hour ago, Sabreman said:

I want to see this film, but I'm not going to the cinema any time soon. I suspect a whole lot of people feel the same.

In the UK maybe.

It could not be a disaster elsewhere. But I doubt they’re expecting it to break any records now.

18 hours ago, Capwn said:

Nah, they're just letting people down gently by slipping it by and few weeks, then a few more.

On 04/06/2020 at 09:17, jonamok said:

I’m not still not feeling it. Nor do I have any idea as to what’s going on in any of the fight scenes.

Maybe because it’s a trailer and you’ve haven’t actually seen the film yet?

• Upvote 1

I'd rather they push this out until late August or something , I do love me a Nolan film, but no chance am I sitting in a cinema without 0 cases nationwide for afew weeks.

On 14/06/2020 at 19:44, Sabreman said:

Exactamundo.

I have seen it suggested that it will be a released to get an idea of how audiences are going to react - if a new, mind-bending Nolan adventure caper can't even bring in the punters, the studios are ready to just write off the rest of the year and explore VOD because practically nothing else stands a goddamn chance.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, dizogg said:

Maybe because it’s a trailer and you’ve haven’t actually seen the film yet?

Sure. And it just feels needlessly obtuse.

2 hours ago, Joystick Chevron said:

Exactamundo.

I have seen it suggested that it will be a released to get an idea of how audiences are going to react - if a new, mind-bending Nolan adventure caper can't even bring in the punters, the studios are ready to just write off the rest of the year and explore VOD because practically nothing else stands a goddamn chance.

Yep, I really want to see this, I also want to see Top Gun, Black Widow, and Wonder Woman 1984 later this year, but like fuck am I going to the cinema at all for the rest of the fucking year. We won't be in a position of zero cases until next year at the earliest. 

So yes, streaming please!  I'll happily pay. 

On 14/06/2020 at 19:10, Capwn said:

Cineworld (and their sub-brands) announced they're going to start reopening in the last week of this month and be fully open part way through July.

The cinema has got to be on the most risky places to be, if you are down wind of an aircon unit and someone with it I would think it highly likely you catch over the running period of a whole film. I don't think it can be safe, unless they go for cubicles or something?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

The cinema has got to be on the most risky places to be, if you are down wind of an aircon unit and someone with it I would think it highly likely you catch over the running period of a whole film. I don't think it can be safe, unless they go for cubicles or something?

Nolan wants you to risk death to see his film properly.

EDIT: "properly"

1 hour ago, Festoon said:

Nolan wants you to risk death to see his film properly.

EDIT: "properly"

Thats the twist! You will die watching it. He's so crafty

3 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

Thats the twist! You will die watching it. He's so crafty

Untitled.png

On 15/06/2020 at 13:56, jonamok said:

Lob it on streaming for £20 and I’m there Nolan.

Hell I’d go to £30. Give me it now.

I'm going to watch it wearing a mask.  Practicing saying popcorn in my best Hardy Bane voice already. PoP..Cooorn

• Upvote 2

Now I can’t imagine Hardy Bane without imagining Harley Quinn’s Hardy Bane. 

• Upvote 3

'Revolutionary director'? Hmm. The first trailer actually felt more like a tv show to me, one with a big budget that was trying to impress on you its epic seriousness without the imagination in the visuals to back it up. The car chase scene with the car flipping is so weak yet presented as the most incredible thing. In the context of the story that moment might impress and there's a consistency to Nolan's style now as this borrows heavily from Inception, the black uniformed men being dragged down the corridor, up and down skyscrapers, i just find it a bit dull. I don't really go with his storytelling. The constant whispering of something epic happening is a style i seem to hate. He is directing action films really, he is, but he doesn't seem to have a knack for it, or have fun with it, he seems to rely so much on scale and sound. There are some memorable shots, but too few, there's just as many more weak scenes where the camerawork/editing is lazy and location poor. I've always felt this really, the Joker pencil moment from Dark Knight was the only good part of that scene, the rest seemed so half arsed. I dunno, maybe he also wants an earthiness in there, it not always seeming like he's obsessed over every detail. Setting the film in Chicago after Batman Begins tried with some dark gothic styling..it matters and he discards it. Just me? Tldr he's an action visual director who lacks the imagination to make it matter.

The car flipping over on the highway, it's not just me who is thinking of The Matrix Reloaded right, it's just making me want to watch that scene again, which at the time Laurence Fishbourne said something like; 'in 50 years time people will still be talking about this chase sequence'. ..not realising the failure of the sequels always overshadows any quality they had.

I relistened to the filmcast review of Inception the other day with Armond White on, who hated it and hates Nolan. He's more contrarian than most, but there is something where people who watch a lot of films resent popular films getting the exposure and acclaim their personal favorites don't, and he takes it to such an extreme that he's praising Transformers 2 while shitting all over Inception. Death Race and Michael Bay are criticizing the debasing of culture and expressing it visually in the medium of film, while Nolan is a hack obsessed with constructing games, or something.

I really like the lead,  he's so cool in BlacKkKlansman, and i always like Pattinson. Will watch obviously, but not for £30, or £20, are you mad.

• Upvote 1

Nolan is a weird one for me because I only really like Memento and Insomnia, but I always turn out on day 1 because I'm convinced he has a masterpiece in him. I thought Dunkirk was gonna be it but it left me kind of deflated. 

Thing is, in each of his films there'll be a sequence or an idea that is totally fantastic, but then there'll also be some super dumb or ridiculous stuff. Everyone praises the Dark Knight but all that stuff with the two boats is ultra silly and it drags on and on...

I hope this is just a really solid high concept thriller with some great action and he doesn't try to be too poignant or clever. That being said though, I really do love the third act of Interstellar, which I guess is just me being out of sync with the average cinema goer once again. 

I love Nolan’s films with Inception and The Prestige being my favourites. I can totally understand all the criticisms that have been posted here and agree that a lot of his films have flaws but I find them all very enjoyable just the same. I’d love to go see this day 1 but can’t imagine going to the Cinema any time soon. I’ve read Nolan has been pushing for a theatrical release, but I wonder if they’ve missed a trick of testing this as a major VOD release. Like others have said I’d happily pay £30 to watch it at home.

Plus from the trailer it looks like Robert Pattinson is literally just playing Christopher Nolan in this. 

16 minutes ago, Gigawatt said:

I love Nolan’s films with Inception and The Prestige being my favourites. I can totally understand all the criticisms that have been posted here and agree that a lot of his films have flaws but I find them all very enjoyable just the same. I’d love to go see this day 1 but can’t imagine going to the Cinema any time soon. I’ve read Nolan has been pushing for a theatrical release, but I wonder if they’ve missed a trick of testing this as a major VOD release. Like others have said I’d happily pay £30 to watch it at home.

Plus from the trailer it looks like Robert Pattinson is literally just playing Christopher Nolan in this. 

If you pay £30 to watch it on VOD you'll have every major picture costing £30 within a year. Please don't do that to us.