IGNORED

Christopher Nolan's Tenet - Espionage Movie

Goose

8 minutes ago, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

Is this the rule now for Film, TV & Radio? Any thread on an upcoming project from a long standing series/franchise/film maker absolutely has to be filled with tedious bollocks of people trying to show what serious film buffs they are by shitting all over previous works. With a smattering of dumb hot takes, clueless plot interpretation and, for maximum film twat-hole points, listing the previous films in order of preference.

Honestly, guys, if you don’t like the previous films it’s ok not to bleat your opinions out. You could go to another thread. I’m not in the James Bond thread arguing that all James bond films are shit liked by idiots, because I have some respect for other opinions and some self control.

Or, if you really think your opinions as to why Interstellar isn’t a masterpiece are so fucking important that they absolutely have to be shared with everyone else, at least make them less fatuous than “I guessed the plot twist”.

It’s so fucking boring, negative and reductive.

2 things happening in this thread. There's a bunch of people having a chat about Nolan and his movies. And then there's a bunch of people having a go at people for having opinions. 

3 hours ago, Nick R said:

This video by Jim Emerson did the rounds a few years ago. I don't think the chase is quite as incoherent a sequence as he argues; I've not rewatched the full video before posting it below, but I remember him making a big deal of moments where shots cross the 180 degree line, which rarely bothered me. However I definitely remember that the first time I watched The Dark Knight I was occasionally confused about which vehicle was which, and their relative positions in the convoy:

It does my head in when people on the internet bang on about ‘the line’ as if it’s some mythical testament handed down from above, it’s such a load of film student bullshit. It’s incredibly useful as a rule of thumb but filmmakers cross the line all the time, it doesn’t necessarily mean a scene is incoherent. I say that as someone who does think Nolan is a bad action director.

1 hour ago, kerraig UK said:
  Hide contents

When i saw Interstellar at the cinema I said in the first 5 minutes "oh please don't let the ghost be her dad trying to communicate with her across space time" and I said it out loud. The woman next to me looked at me like I was nuts.

Then 3 hours later she looked at me again and said "yeah, thanks"

Please don’t talk in cinemas. It’s never acceptable.

12 minutes ago, Bazjam said:

Please don’t talk in cinemas. It’s never acceptable.

100% disagree. The audience IS cinema. It's not the big screen or the digital sound or the popcorn. It's the shared experience of audiovisual storytelling. 

It's not acceptable to speak about anything that is occurring outside, and of course any comments should be kept to a succinct minimum, but silence is not the optimal cinematic experience. 

1 hour ago, CarloOos said:

It does my head in when people on the internet bang on about ‘the line’ as if it’s some mythical testament handed down from above, it’s such a load of film student bullshit. It’s incredibly useful as a rule of thumb but filmmakers cross the line all the time, it doesn’t necessarily mean a scene is incoherent. I say that as someone who does think Nolan is a bad action director.

The line isn't the reason this scene is such a mess. 

16 minutes ago, Bazjam said:

Fuck that. I give evil stares if I hear the slightest whisper. God knows what I’d do if I heard someone trying to predict the twist. This is why I go to the cinema on my day off at an early showing. Less people around me the better.

You don't deserve cinema

2 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

2 things happening in this thread. There's a bunch of people having a chat about Nolan and his movies. And then there's a bunch of people having a go at people for having opinions. 

3 things. You missed the "his films are shit" posts with zero interest on expanding on it. At least you care and take time to explain yourself, which is good. 

2 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

Would love to hear a review from a fresh set of eyes

Well both twists were pretty obvious from the start, which, in a film predicated on those twists, is a bit of a weakness. Most of the performances are super hammy, especially Bale's (which is why one of the twists is so obvious). But the premise is just hilariously bad. The initial rapid fire sequence of tit for tat is like a big train sketch. And as ever it's all accompanied by a portentous soundtrack which just magnifies the silliness of it all.

38 minutes ago, Tourist said:

Well both twists were pretty obvious from the start, which, in a film predicated on those twists, is a bit of a weakness. Most of the performances are super hammy, especially Bale's (which is why one of the twists is so obvious). But the premise is just hilariously bad. The initial rapid fire sequence of tit for tat is like a big train sketch. And as ever it's all accompanied by a portentous soundtrack which just magnifies the silliness of it all.

You've hit the nail straight on the head with your use of the word 'portentous'. That is Nolan to a T

7 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

100% disagree. The audience IS cinema. It's not the big screen or the digital sound or the popcorn. It's the shared experience of audiovisual storytelling. 

It's not acceptable to speak about anything that is occurring outside, and of course any comments should be kept to a succinct minimum, but silence is not the optimal cinematic experience. 

The two that always come to mind for me are both Neil Marshall - Dog Soldiers at the Prince Charlea with the best audience screamer ever, and The Descent where you could feel the tension for the first hour, it was incredible 

i love busy cinemas, I’ve even been in a shit movie where I ended up entertaining myself watching this kid react a few rows along, kind of wishing I could be enjoying it as much as they were

7 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Talking in the cinema is not part of the experience, it's annoying as fuck. I agree that the audience are part of the experience but only when it comes to reactions, like gasping, laughing, crying, screaming etc. Like, laughing can be infections and make comedies more enjoyable, so the more laughter around you the better an experience it can be.

I normally prefer to avoid packed screenings too, as @Bazjam says. However I agree it can hurt comedies: The Death of Stalin was the most recent one I saw at the cinema that was somewhat spoiled by being very sparsely seated, so there wasn't any atmosphere reacting to the jokes. Because there's so much black humour in that film, treading a fine line to stay in good taste, I was self-conscious about laughing out loud at it, and it would have been instantly obvious that any audible laughter was coming from my seat.

Which I suppose was, in an infinitesimally minor way, appropriate to the paranoia the film's characters feel about the right moment to be seen to make their move!

That's a good example: I saw Four Lions in a packed cinema and the jokes in that got a great reaction. (There were lots of South Asian people in the screening so there was laughter at stuff I didn't get; IIRC the film has a few unsubtitled bits.) I think it's probably the funnier of the two films as well, but the response in the cinema made a huge difference.

18 hours ago, Sabreman said:

But, he wears a suit 

I really don't like The Prestige. As Kerraig noted, it's a bit of a cheat when the solution to your big mystery is actual fucking magic. It's not like, as an astute audience member you could really figure that one out. 

But that's the book he's adapting. And it's science, not magic. There was a different bit in the book that might have been magic, but Nolan cut it.

14 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

Perhaps you were one of the 2 cunts speaking all the way through Bumblebee the other day. Are you in your Late 40s?

7 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

Why would anyone over the age of 15 be in the cinema watching Bumblebee? Aside from taking their kids along.

7 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

Why would anyone over the age of 15 be in the cinema watching Bumblebee? Aside from taking their kids along.

Cause it's fucking excellent 

I like Nolan, enjoyed all of his films that I've seen, and love Memento. I thought Inception was very good the first time I saw it in the cinema, but rewatching it now on Netflix, it really isn't great. It's quite stylish and the action is OK, but it's so heavy on exposition. Absolutely every single scene is explained. And the soundtrack is overbearing.

22 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

thatsbait.gif :coffee: