Christopher Nolan's Tenet - Espionage Movie

Fucking loved it. It's James Bond + sci-fi. Yeah, it's McGuffin central and if you think about the central premise you could pick holes all day, but hey we're dealing with the quantum realm, anything is fair game.

Need to watch it again to soak it up but this type of crazy spy shit is right up my street. Very game for big money treatments of such stuff. 

I have more questions:

Spoiler

So who actually devised the algorithm?

And were those rooms with the turntables built specifically to enable people and objects to be inverted? Who built them? And when?!

1 hour ago, Popo said:

I have more questions:

Hide contents

And were those rooms with the turntables built specifically to enable people and objects to be inverted? Who built them? And when?!

Spoiler

Future people, and since the things they built move backwards in time they eventually end up in our present.

1 hour ago, Popo said:

I have more questions:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Some scientist in the future developed the algorithm and then decided it was too dangerous so broke it down into 9 parts and scattered them across different places in time. Cant remember who it is that talks to P about it (think it was Neil or Priya) but they compare the scientist to the people that created the Atom Bomb and how in hindsight those people may have done something similair if they knew what would happen with their discovery and had the means to scatter it.

Yes, the rooms were developed by people in the future. Some that wanted to protect the scattered algorithm and keep it hidden (basically the Tenet 'organisation'). Some that wanted it found so they could use it to completely invert the entire world (the people that helped Sator after he found the first piece when he was young).

I have a question that's been bugging me since I saw the film last Sunday.

Spoiler

During the 2nd airport corridor fight [where protagonist fights himself] - why isn't Robert Pattinson waiting for him when he exits? Robert P and Protagonist are inverted before they go in, Protagonist 'reverts' first, so when Robert P after reverts he should be further in the past, and would have exited the inverter 'before' protagonist.  

I've probably explained poorly - but can't work out that scene - rest of the film made sense tho! 

7 hours ago, Bingox said:

I have a question that's been bugging me since I saw the film last Sunday.

Hide contents

During the 2nd airport corridor fight [where protagonist fights himself] - why isn't Robert Pattinson waiting for him when he exits? Robert P and Protagonist are inverted before they go in, Protagonist 'reverts' first, so when Robert P after reverts he should be further in the past, and would have exited the inverter 'before' protagonist.  

I've probably explained poorly - but can't work out that scene - rest of the film made sense tho! 

Spoiler

I think Neil is waiting for him. But when he goes back to normal he hides for a bit with Kat until he catches up with P and then they meet up.

Im going to see it again on Saturday so this along with about 47 other bits will be watched very closely :)

Went today and where about 10 people in the cinema, including ourselves. 

A great spectacle. Not a scooby what on earth was going on.

Again for a Nolan film, confusing or mumbled dialogue was the issue, mostly. Key concepts where just not explained (not the science, just the mechanisms), which made it more difficult than the already initially difficult Inception and Interstellar to follow.

I wish he spent more time on this, but clearly the executive producers and test audiences have his back.

On 01/09/2020 at 10:29, beenabadbunny said:

Was it Cineworld by any chance?

They've always had a really bad habit of going to a lot of effort to sell the concept of watching films at the cinema to their audience. It's preaching to the choir, an absolutely redundant waste of time.

I was at a Showcase earlier this evening and it had 2 or 3 adverts praising cinema being back and reminding me that things are different in a pandemic now (gee, thanks!)

Anyway, as for the film, I didn't really have a clue what was happening, the sound mix was awful and for an action film I found it lacked any real action, with the 'fight' lacking any heft (so it all looked like people pulling punches really badly) and the car chase lacked any tension or excitement. It didn't really work for me as a spy film either and was nowhere near as engaging as Inception. On the plus side, I liked Washington and Pattinson and I did enjoy being back at the cinema.

Not one I'd watch again or want to see a sequel to though.

Absolutely bloody amazing. 

Spoiler

From the dropping into the heart of the action.

Constantly asking "who talked" and then realising no one talked because they didn't need anyone to talk.

Spotting the inverted characters. And why something happened the way it did 20 minutes earlier. 

The sound mix that made you concentrate on the action and actors so that you missed the real action going on around the actors. Then realised you'd missed it. But your on to the next thing

The broken wing mirror. 

Trying to turn the door locks off with a big toe. 

And the absolute best thing was there was no hand holding or explaining slowly and carefully what was going on. Here comes the film keep up its not going to stop till the end starts again. 

Superb. 

Was unmoved by this. I just about followed what was going on (the sound mix did not help) but never felt like I was given a reason to care. There were some interesting visuals, and the soundtrack kind of makes you want to dance in parts. But it did not tell a compelling story. Also never really felt surprised by the film - there are setups and resolutions of those setups - but it's not like there are any really satisfying moments of clarity where everything makes sense. It's more like "oh okay I suppose that is a thing that would happen in a clever timey wimey film".

Thought it was great. I assume like Inception it might not be as interesting as it seemed on a deeper examination but it was exciting and fun, with likeable characters.

Spoiler

I assume on a second viewing Neil will serve as the protagonist with all his sly nods and foreknowledge of events? 

I just remembered one particularly stupid line

Spoiler

"Everyone's going to die"

"Including my son"

Was as if it was a bit of direction in the script that the actor went ahead and read out loud by mistake. Character X has motivation Y. We are now emotionally invested.

That was absolutely terrible.  Nolan's ought to stick to being the (creative) director, not the bloody (screenplay) writer as well.  Hopefully this is the movie where Warners decide to rein him in a bit.

There really is no middle ground with this is there. You’re either fully bought into it or fucking hate it :lol:

Just out from my second viewing. Most things fell into place further, one thing made less sense but it’s definitely the way I am looking at it and the action scenes with the ‘here we go’ soundtrack were just glorious.

On that one bit....

Spoiler

At the end of the highway chase the first time round, we see Kat with a mask on but she isn’t inverted until she gets shot and then P and Neill take her back so why does she have one on when she is in the red room? What am I missing?

Also, every moment in the movie where a key action takes place has a Ten reference in it, which I thought was quite cool...

P refers to only needing Ten minutes with Priyas husband (can’t remember his name)

Ten seconds for the security doors in the Freeport.

At the start of the highway chase Sator received a message that they are Ten minutes out.

The main Ten minutes pincer attack at the end.

No doubt there are others but those stood out.

It was probably the most I have ever enjoyed a repeat viewing in the cinema and the soundtrack during the set pieces was invasive, aggressive, booming and absolutely fucking brilliant :)

Has anybody brought up the theory yet that.....

Neil is actually Max (the kid) but fully grown up and gone back in time? Which I don’t fully understand how that works. As I understand, you go back in time in real-time. So I don’t understand how he would be able to go back as an adult.

17 hours ago, Liamness said:

I just remembered one particularly stupid line

Hide contents

"Everyone's going to die"

"Including my son"

Was as if it was a bit of direction in the script that the actor went ahead and read out loud by mistake. Character X has motivation Y. We are now emotionally invested.

Nolan is great for mindbending time/space shenanigans but is essentially a robot. This :blah: is what happens when he attempts to write human feelings.

On 05/09/2020 at 17:30, MardiganX said:

There really is no middle ground with this is there. You’re either fully bought into it or fucking hate it :lol:

Just out from my second viewing. Most things fell into place further, one thing made less sense but it’s definitely the way I am looking at it and the action scenes with the ‘here we go’ soundtrack were just glorious.

Nah, I firmly fell in the middle on this. It was disposable for me - there's no reason for me to ever want to watch it again but at the same time I'd probably amble along to a sequel if it ever happened.

On 02/09/2020 at 15:14, MardiganX said:
Spoiler

Almost every time travel movie has some form of paradox. In Tenet the paradox is that P is both the start of the Tenet organisation in the future and then recruits himself at the start of the movie. Pull on it too much though and like all paradoxes the entire world unravels 

Went to see this earlier, and have since gone through all the spoiler tags. Thank you for this^ in particular, it's the only thing I really wrestled with at the end, but that makes perfect sense. This definitely needs a second viewing, but I think I will wait for the 4k release as my cinema experience was poor.

Social distancing was fine, but the movie was projected smaller than the screen, like it was in a little box that occupied 75% of the available screen space. I actually went and complained right at the start when I spotted a staff member come in to do what I believe they call a screen check (I've never worked in a cinema), but the bloody twat clearly didn't understand my complaint after he nodded and walked off, because nothing changed. Still, it didn't hinder my enjoyment of the movie. 

edit: I fucking really enjoyed it. :)

Just watched this at the cinema with 4 other people, 2 of whom still manages to be "whisper loudly in middle of the film" cunts.

Thank got it was loud a lot of the time and drowned them out/shut them up. 

Great film, I enjoyed this better than his last 4 films.

Anyone read this?

https://www.vulture.com/2020/09/tenet-explained-whats-going-on-in-the-plot-of-this-movie.html

It doesn't so much explain as just regurgitate the events, however it's done with tongue firmly in cheek and a lot of humour. I lolled hard at:

Spoiler

Evil Russian Kenneth Branagh is suffering from terminal cancer and is going back in time to find a happy memory to end his life in. What’s more, he’s got an Evil Fitbit that will trigger the Algorithm to go off at the moment of his death.

:lol:

Okay yeah, I'm easily amused. The references to Harry Potter are bang on though. 

The more I think on this film, the more I love it. I have one grumble about a particular and very small plot point, but perhaps my understanding of thermophysics isn't what it should be...

Spoiler

If, when inverted, temperature has the opposite effect, shouldn't a regular warm afternoon of, say 20oC, be a horrific -20oC for anyone inverted? Wouldn't everyone freeze to death?

The only explanation I can think of that gets around this is that it's perhaps not the temperature itself, but any change in temperature that has the opposite effect. So, if you go through the turnstile at 8am and the temperature is 12oC, as morning gets warmer to about 15oC, to an inverted person that would feel more like 9oC. Likewise, if you go through a turnstile at 10pm at summertime, it's a comfortable temperature, but as the night draws in and cools down, it gets a lot hotter for an inverted person.

Spoiler

Yeah it's the transfer that's inverted. However we feel the transfer as painful either way, a cold burn is much the same as a heat burn (without the melting) as far as I know.

What an odd film.

I adore Nolan so went in with elevated expectations so that may have been my undoing. The spectale was off the chart which drew you in and I loved the complex world building but after constantly thinking "Okay, I think I know what's occuring." something else would be drip fed in and by the end setup, I had almsot given up trying to understand why anyone was doing anything.

Yet, the Film's quality still shone through as when my Brother text me with this:

Spoiler

The opening of the film with the terrorists shooting up a concert hall, could also be the end of the film.

I was like, shit, I need to see it again.

It didn't feel as stunning as walking out of The Dark Knight and thinking this is a modern Terminator 2 action film, nor was it as emotionally engaging and brilliant as Inception, it's more high concept and deeper. I'm just not sure what to make of it yet. Overall though, thumbs up!

Saw this yesterday and whilst I thought it was well filmed and had interesting ideas, all of it was ruined by the sound. It's as if the cinema chains have said "welcome back to the cinema experience , it's so much better than watching movies at home, we have turned it up really loud for you". Loud like a shit local band in a pub that hasnt realised that years of playing in pubs has made them all deaf.  Loud like an untrained soundman who thinks it better to slide all the sliders to the top.  It was loud in a way that suggested the cinema speakers would need replacing. No ambience at all. No atmosphere. Entirely BANG, EXPLODE , SHOUT, , it was too much and on the wrong side of exciting, so loud I wanted to go out and have a rest. And Covid has meant there's no premium seating any more so my knees hurt.  Still, at £12 for 4 people (meerkat codes) it feels like we spent fuck all to actually see the film, but I think the cinema experience spoiled it, would rather have seen it at home .  Good to see friends though.