Christopher Nolan's Tenet - Espionage Movie

I don’t get the “this is too difficult to understand”. I found individual scenes difficult to read at times, particularly if they featured time flowing in both directions. But other than that, it just played out like a riff on a Bond film - maguffin chasing, baddie, Bond girl. The broad strokes or shape of the plot was easy enough to follow, even with Nolan spin. If I didn’t catch a little bit, it was easy enough to catch up.

And once you realised there was going to be a central symmetry in the film, the twists became obvious. Any delving too much into the films central conceit will mean it makes zero sense, but that’s true of any films that riff on time travel.

My opinion: I loved being in a cinema again. I was miles from anyone and everybody at all times respected our current reality.

The movie was a load of wank. I look forward to The Batman.

I really enjoyed this but it is mid ranking Nolan. Tenet is a palindrome which says it all.

Makes 700 look like a Dnob. (Yeah, that doesn't quite work, but neither does the film).

Went to see this last night at the IMAX in Manchester, spent the first hour utterly confused and the second amazed...enjoyed it but demands a second viewing. 

Just got out of the cinema and while it was nice being back a few too many of the adverts were celebrating that I was there.

As far as the film is concerned a bit too Nolany. Naturally it's full of time stuff because all his non batman films save the prestige have some time manipulation stuff through them. Action scenes which lacked clarity in what was going on. Some of this was some odd editing, some not enough set up so the audience doesn't know what characters are trying to achieve in the moment (maybe hard to hear dialog) and some from odd shot choice maybe from the "We did this for real with IMAX cameras" filming he has been doing which seems to be more important than anything else.

What was that final set piece? It seemed to be shot like a michael bay tranformers movie where they forgot to CGI in the transformers or any antagonists at all just someone excited by explosions going forward and backward at the same time with people running around.

20 hours ago, kensei said:

I don’t get the “this is too difficult to understand”. I found individual scenes difficult to read at times, particularly if they featured time flowing in both directions. But other than that, it just played out like a riff on a Bond film - maguffin chasing, baddie, Bond girl. The broad strokes or shape of the plot was easy enough to follow, even with Nolan spin. If I didn’t catch a little bit, it was easy enough to catch up.

And once you realised there was going to be a central symmetry in the film, the twists became obvious. Any delving too much into the films central conceit will mean it makes zero sense, but that’s true of any films that riff on time travel.

The central concept is fine to understand. 

It's everything around it that is a mess. 

I enjoyed it. But then I don’t mind being confused during a film as long it makes sense in the end. Which I thought it did. 

However in a film where you basically follow the same journey as the protagonist in terms of understanding, I can see why that was always going to rub some up the wrong way. Some people really don’t like being confused. 

17 hours ago, NoVisAnima said:

Just got out of the cinema and while it was nice being back a few too many of the adverts were celebrating that I was there.

Was it Cineworld by any chance?

They've always had a really bad habit of going to a lot of effort to sell the concept of watching films at the cinema to their audience. It's preaching to the choir, an absolutely redundant waste of time.

When I saw Tenet there at the weekend it was worse than ever. The film was preceded by what must have been fully ten minutes of "You probably don't realise that cinemas are open again. Did you realise that cinemas are open again? Cinemas are open again! You can go to see a film at the cinema - they're open again!"

On-topic, I really enjoyed Tenet all the way through. My girlfriend thought it was total bobbins. We're probably both right.

.niaga ti ees dna og neve yam I .ngis doog a s'taht dna yadot yltnatsnoc ti tuoba gnikniht neeb ev'I tub sdnim owt ni amenic eht tfel I .erofeb nees sah eno on taht sgniht looc fo lluf s'ti tub ,ti esylana uoy ecno retaw hcum sdloh tolp eht tbuod I dna ssem a fo tib A

So no one here has attempted to explain what happened? I enjoyed it, but worry it'll fall apart on examination. 

Spoiler

What's the opera scene got to do with it? I assume P set it up, but it's not referred to again despite chuckles seemingly knowing about it.

I felt like it was missing a scene.

I'm glad it wasn't just me baffled at the end about the mechanics of the action at the end I didn't think the car chase made sense either and that took me out of it.

I think I understood about 80% of the dialogue, these days I watch everything with subtitles so it's really hard not having them anyway!

6 hours ago, Pete said:

So no one here has attempted to explain what happened? I enjoyed it, but worry it'll fall apart on examination. 

Reveal hidden contents

What's the opera scene got to do with it? I assume P set it up, but it's not referred to again despite chuckles seemingly knowing about it.

I felt like it was missing a scene.

I'm glad it wasn't just me baffled at the end about the mechanics of the action at the end I didn't think the car chase made sense either and that took me out of it.

I think I understood about 80% of the dialogue, these days I watch everything with subtitles so it's really hard not having them anyway!

Spoiler

Well, the protagonist saw Robert Pattinson's character in the theatre, hence the little "lucky coin" hanging off the bag call back at the end of the movie. I "think" both the protagonist and pattinson were there (again) to steal one part of the terrible McGuffin, but I not 100% sure myself.

It probably doesn't help that I missed the first 30 seconds taking a leak. :blush:

15 hours ago, Trumpets said:

.niaga ti ees dna og neve yam I .ngis doog a s'taht dna yadot yltnatsnoc ti tuoba gnikniht neeb ev'I tub sdnim owt ni amenic eht tfel I .erofeb nees sah eno on taht sgniht looc fo lluf s'ti tub ,ti esylana uoy ecno retaw hcum sdloh tolp eht tbuod I dna ssem a fo tib A

I sincerely hope you typed that out yourself and didn’t use a website. 

3 hours ago, Tomdominer said:

Hide contents

Well, the protagonist saw Robert Pattinson's character in the theatre, hence the little "lucky coin" hanging off the bag call back at the end of the movie. I "think" they were both the protagonist and pattinson were there (again) to steal one part of the terrible McGuffin, but I not 100% sure myself.

Spoiler

The Opera scene was the starting point for Protagonist and us being brought into the Temporal 'battlefield' with the target of the terrorist attack being a piece of the Algorithm, and it also showed Neil (Pattison) being inverted and saving P, with the little backpack tag being the clue that is important again at the end.

Neil is the only one that 'goes back' to the Opera after he says goodbye to P at the end.

So, after Neil says goodbye to P he lives normally for a period of time then inverts himself once he has enough time to go back and save P at the Opera and then sacrifices himself when he unlocks the gate and saves P again. I imagine that required Neil to invert, save P, go back normal for a period, then invert himself again to get back to the gate. We never see Neil do any of those things from his perspective though, which adds to the mystery / confusion around it. We only ever see things that Neil does from the 'timeline' that P is in.

I'm going to see it again on Saturday and cant fucking wait. The more and more I think about it the more I fall in love with Neil :wub:

Spoiler

He is basically Kyle Reese. His sole purpose is to keep P alive and he ultimately sacrifices himself to complete that mission. What a fucking legend!!

23 minutes ago, MardiganX said:
  Reveal hidden contents

The Opera scene was the starting point for Protagonist and us being brought into the Temporal 'battlefield' with the target of the terrorist attack being a piece of the Algorithm, and it also showed Neil (Pattison) being inverted and saving P, with the little backpack tag being the clue that is important again at the end.

Neil is the only one that 'goes back' to the Opera after he says goodbye to P at the end.

So, after Neil says goodbye to P he lives normally for a period of time then inverts himself once he has enough time to go back and save P at the Opera and then sacrifices himself when he unlocks the gate and saves P again. I imagine that required Neil to invert, save P, go back normal for a period, then invert himself again to get back to the gate. We never see Neil do any of those things from his perspective though, which adds to the mystery / confusion around it. We only ever see things that Neil does from the 'timeline' that P is in.

I think I got all that, but I still don't understand who

Spoiler

They were fighting with at the climax of the movie? Also, was it important that it occurred at the same time as the opera siege?

Finally, the arms dealer. What was her role? Was she after the device, trying to kill Sator, or just make money or what? I could never really understand her motivations.

13 minutes ago, Pete said:

Excellent thanks for that @MardiganX, I think I get it now and will pretend to my friends I did that myself. Really looking forward to watching it again to see if it holds up.

On the car chase...

Spoiler

Until P inverts I was also very confused as to what was happening, moreso during the interrogation scene where Kat gets shot because its got so much inverted action running in parallel to what P is doing but its only when P inverts that it actually starts to click a little. That moment where he emerges from the warehouse inverted with the gas mask on I was like 'FUCK YES!!!!!'

On a repeat viewing it will be so much better because the actions that P does while inverted will be visible during the start of the chase. So rather than us viewing that scene as a completely confused P we will be viewing it with the knowledge of the inverted events that involve P. This might be taking it too far but repeat viewings of this movie are basically temporal pincer manouvres :) we go into that 2nd viewing armed with the knowledge of the first viewing... just like the conventional timeline units go into a battle armed with the knowledge of the inverted units. 

1 minute ago, MardiganX said:

On the car chase...

Reveal hidden contents

Until P inverts I was also very confused as to what was happening, moreso during the interrogation scene where Kat gets shot because its got so much inverted action running in parallel to what P is doing but its only when P inverts that it actually starts to click a little. That moment where he emerges from the warehouse inverted with the gas mask on I was like 'FUCK YES!!!!!'

On a repeat viewing it will be so much better because the actions that P does while inverted will be visible during the start of the chase. So rather than us viewing that scene as a completely confused P we will be viewing it with the knowledge of the inverted events that involve P. This might be taking it too far but repeat viewings of this movie are basically temporal pincer manouvres :) we go into that 2nd viewing armed with the knowledge of the first viewing... just like the conventional timeline units go into a battle armed with the knowledge of the inverted units. 

Yeah, totally agree. Once you realise what is happening, it totally changes how you felt about the scene. Especially when you realise

Spoiler

the car crash isn't just anyone but actually inverted P coming back into the chase! Amazing.

It does seem Nolan was banking on people seeing these twice, or at least happy with the idea of that.

In fairness, I did put the Prestige on straight after watching it. This was exhausting though in comparison, it had no room to breath.

3 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

I think I got all that, but I still don't understand who

Hide contents

They were fighting with at the climax of the movie? Also, was it important that it occurred at the same time as the opera siege?

Finally, the arms dealer. What was her role? Was she after the device, trying to kill Sator, or just make money or what? I could never really understand her motivations.

Spoiler

They were fighting Sator's men who were trying to stop them getting to the bunker.

Does the Opera scene and the final battle happen at the same time? I didn't realise that if they do, but cant see any significance in them being at the same time given the piece of the Algorithm Sator gets from the Opera battle ends up in the bunker after going forward for a period of time and then travelling back inverted once the final piece is acquired.

Arms Dealer lady (Priya) was part of the Tenet organisation, basically trying to prevent Sator from destroying the world / time. At the end she thinks her mission is to clean up loose ends, hence going back on her word to leave Kat alive. But P tells her they have both been working for a future version of him and HE is the one cleaning up loose ends. BOOM headshot.

4 minutes ago, MardiganX said:
  Hide contents

They were fighting Sator's men who were trying to stop them getting to the bunker.

Does the Opera scene and the final battle happen at the same time? I didn't realise that if they do, but cant see any significance in them being at the same time given the piece of the Algorithm Sator gets from the Opera battle ends up in the bunker after going forward for a period of time and then travelling back inverted once the final piece is acquired.

Arms Dealer lady (Priya) was part of the Tenet organisation, basically trying to prevent Sator from destroying the world / time. At the end she thinks her mission is to clean up loose ends, hence going back on her word to leave Kat alive. But P tells her they have both been working for a future version of him and HE is the one cleaning up loose ends. BOOM headshot.

That makes sense, kinda. 

Yeah, I am pretty sure they mention 

Spoiler

an explosion happening on the opposite side of the world at the same time as the Opera siege. Hence why they deduced when he would commit suicide at that exact time.

Is the algorithm actually the physical mcguffin thing then? Because that was also a bit confusing calling it the "algorithm". A total misnomer.

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

It does seem Nolan was banking on people seeing these twice, or at least happy with the idea of that.

In fairness, I did put the Prestige on straight after watching it. This was exhausting though in comparison, it had no room to breath.

I would go further than that and suggest he created it with the specific intention that people would need to see it twice to fully understand and / or appreciate it. Not because a second viewing is essential to follow it as a stand-alone movie but because the entire premise of the

Spoiler

temporal pincer

approach is for people being armed with knowledge gained from experiencing events :) again, I might be looking into it too much and giving the crackpot far too much credit but if that is what he intended then I am happily fully on board.

4 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

That makes sense, kinda. 

Hide contents

an explosion happening on the opposite side of the world at the same time as the Opera siege. Hence why they deduced when he would commit suicide at that exact time.

Is the algorithm actually the physical mcguffin thing then? Because that was also a bit confusing calling it the "algorithm". A total misnomer.

Spoiler

Yes, they deduce the suspected time he kills himself based on that explosion and assuming it was the dead man switch that triggered it but that has nothing to do with the Opera scene as they get all that information about his HR monitor from Kat. So it may have happened at the same time but still not sure what the link is :huh: maybe a distraction?

Yeah, that crazy looking device that Aaron Taylor-Johnson (Ives) breaks into 3 pieces at the end is the full Algorithm. I assumed that each of the 9 components contained a piece of an actual formula and the containers themselves were purely for protection rather than it being a physical device once it was assembled, but they never talk about it any more detail so fuck knows :lol:

Just saw this, I thought it was great. Not going to pretend I was clever enough to follow what was going on, but the spectacle of the thing carried me through. Refreshing to have a big budget Hollywood film not signpost everything. 

Can't wait to see it again.

Has Nolan acknowledged the Backwards episode of Red Dwarf? 

:lol:  I wonder what'll happen if someone has a shit when inverted.  

12 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

That makes sense, kinda. 

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Priya was also the person that sold Sator the ammunition he was inverting. Hence, P tracking the round he had from the training room back to her as she had the original bullet before it was sold to Sator and then inverted.

3 minutes ago, mash said:

Just saw this, I thought it was great. Not going to pretend I was clever enough to follow what was going on, but the spectacle of the thing carried me through. Refreshing to have a big budget Hollywood film not signpost everything. 

Can't wait to see it again.

Hide contents

Has Nolan acknowledged the Backwards episode of Red Dwarf? 

:lol:  I wonder what'll happen if someone has a shit when inverted.  

Spoiler

They would just take a shit... but someone on the normal timeline seeing it (why they would see it I have no idea, haha) would witness it jumping back up their arse :lol:

1 minute ago, MardiganX said:

Reveal hidden contents

Priya was also the person that sold Sator the ammunition he was inverting. Hence, P tracking the round he had from the training room back to her as she had the original bullet before it was sold to Sator and then inverted.

Spoiler

Yeah, that kinda makes me not understand her motivation. If she works for Tenet, surely she would know all this, and would already have freely given the information. Why did he have to break in and force it out of her?

8 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:
  Hide contents

Yeah, that kinda makes me not understand her motivation. If she works for Tenet, surely she would know all this, and would already have freely given the information. Why did he have to break in and force it out of her?

Spoiler

She is a pawn from a Tenet perspective. Ultimately she works for future P but she doesn't know that and so she is simply following whatever instructions she was given and those instructions would have been sell ammunition to Sator, because that event along with everything that happens is part of the wider temporal pincer manouvre that future P (as the head of Tenet) has been running all along. The entire movie and what happens either side of it that we don't see, is part of future P's ultimate temporal pincer manouvre that stops Sator and saves the world :) we only see a small part of it from the perspective of P at the start of his loop.

Almost every time travel movie has some form of paradox. In Tenet the paradox is that P is both the start of the Tenet organisation in the future and then recruits himself at the start of the movie. Pull on it too much though and like all paradoxes the entire world unravels :D