Christopher Nolan's Tenet - Espionage Movie

6 hours ago, Capwn said:

I feel like this will come out, not be making the insane amounts of money it needs to be and so will be VOD within a month. Right?

Fingers crossed.

I’ve just booked for opening night in Norwich and we’re the only two seats taken in the screen so far. Things like Star Wars and Endgame were already nearly full at this stage, so it’s not looking too promising in the “massive blockbuster” stakes based solely on that.

On 14/08/2020 at 01:27, Capwn said:

I feel like this will come out, not be making the insane amounts of money it needs to be and so will be VOD within a month. Right?

I really hope so. I have to shield due to my wife’s health, so I’ve no chance of going to the cinema for a long time. I’m a big Nolan fan, so having to miss this is killing me.

I really hope some cinemas in the north west show Interstellar too around the time this launches.

i missed it on the big screen and would love to see it in a cinema. 

3 hours ago, joemul said:

I really hope some cinemas in the north west show Interstellar too around the time this launches.

i missed it on the big screen and would love to see it in a cinema. 

From the Friday leading up to Tenet's Wednesday launch it's being screened at Stockport's Light Cinema at 19:15 every evening. Dunno if that works for you, but the website's here if the timings suit. https://stockport.lightcinemas.co.uk/

Review embargo has now lifted for the film. Getting rather mixed reviews to far:

Guardian 2/5

Little White Lies Anticipation 5/5, Enjoyment 3/5, In Retrospect 3/5

The Wrap  There is enjoyably puzzling fun to be had along the way, but “Tenet” may have you pleading for an aspirin and a long lie-down.

Slashfilm 7.5 out of 10

Indiewire C-

IGN 8/10

Timeout 3/5

Gamespot 9/10

Variety The structural complications of Nolan's storytelling are nifty enough, but it's the muscular gusto of his filmmaking that inspires wonder.

Total Film 5/5

HollywoodReporter Easy to admire, hard to love.

BBC Will Gompertz 4/5

59 minutes ago, grounded_dreams said:

Review embargo has now lifted for the film. Getting rather mixed reviews to far:

Guardian 2/5

Little White Lies Anticipation 5/5, Enjoyment 3/5, In Retrospect 3/5

The Wrap  There is enjoyably puzzling fun to be had along the way, but “Tenet” may have you pleading for an aspirin and a long lie-down.

Slashfilm 7.5 out of 10

Indiewire C-

IGN 8/10

Timeout 3/5

Gamespot 9/10

Variety The structural complications of Nolan's storytelling are nifty enough, but it's the muscular gusto of his filmmaking that inspires wonder.

Total Film 5/5

HollywoodReporter Easy to admire, hard to love.

BBC Will Gompertz 4/5

This is the case for a lot of Nolan's films, though - he rarely gets across-the-board raves and I definitely think critics are tougher on him now than they were in his early career. 

Tempted to go to a drive in for this.  I think I got an idea of what this film’s going to be like and probably won’t love it.  But still Nolan is almost the only one still making big original blockbusters in the last decade and is always worth a watch.

I don’t particularly care what the reviews have to say...when I can pay £20ish to watch this at home then I’m definitely in, no questions.

But as much as I love Heath Ledger playing the Joker, Christopher Nolan hasn’t made a single film that’s even close to risking death to see so he needs to make the best of the new landscape he’s operating within IMO. 

• Upvote 3
7 hours ago, Fierce Poodle said:

The Guardian review wasn’t written by Peter Bradshaw either, which has me worried.

Yes. God forbid the review isn't a big bag of shit*.

*all reviews are, objectively.

On 15/08/2020 at 16:57, MrPogo said:

I’ve just booked for opening night in Norwich and we’re the only two seats taken in the screen so far. Things like Star Wars and Endgame were already nearly full at this stage, so it’s not looking too promising in the “massive blockbuster” stakes based solely on that.

It’s going to get hurt this movie, couples with children won’t go because they can’t get childcare, ask parents etc. That’s the case for me otherwise we’d be going. Would happily pay £20 to watch at home. 

Fuck Warner Bros, I hope their tactics backfire and this flops and bites them in the arse.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/tenet-theaters-drive-ins-christopher-nolan-1234746741/

But two weeks ahead of its domestic debut, scheduled for Sept. 3, Warner Bros. offered some clarity to exhibitors about its plans for Nolan’s latest. The studio issued strict guidelines to drive-in operators across the country, mandating that “Tenet” can only play in outdoor venues if indoor theaters in that particular market are open.

Since traditional brick-and-mortar theaters have reopened in Chicago, for example, drive-in locations in the Windy City will be permitted to play the film. But in New York City and Los Angeles, where hardtop cinemas are still closed, drive-in exhibitors won’t have access to “Tenet.”

• Upvote 1