Christopher Nolan's Tenet - Espionage Movie

16 minutes ago, Silent Runner said:

Is Hollywood being a bit short-sighted here? If cinemas around the world are opening but have no big films to show, how are they going to survive? Will there be a global market for Tenet by the time it comes out?

Yeah, they're being a bit dumb by clining to that day-in-date release concept.

12 hours ago, Silent Runner said:

Is Hollywood being a bit short-sighted here? If cinemas around the world are opening but have no big films to show, how are they going to survive? Will there be a global market for Tenet by the time it comes out?

Yeah, they should release it in territories where the conditions allow. So what if the US is experiencing a second spike, hasn't foreign gross become more important than ever anyway? Dunkirk made like 2/3rds of its money outside of North America. Yeah maybe some US audiences would download a shitty cam version of the film in the meantime. If it gets good reviews then there would probably still be pent-up demand to see it in cinemas once that becomes possible. If it gets a mixed reception, then just release it on the internet.

Unofficial word is the UK chains will most likely delay their opening because of Tenet being delayed again. So Tenet is being delayed because of lack of cinemas and cinemas are being delayed because of lack of Tenet.

There are a few other titles ready to go. Once there is a release window for Bond, Black Widow, Candyman and Tenet then I think the multiplexes will be more confident to open, probably mid September-November.

What a weird quirk of capitalism this is. A load of companies have products, which are all ready for release. There are multiple different methods (VOD Purchase or Streaming platform) that these could be released right now, but they won’t, because their whole financial model rests on them going through this other method of distribution (cinema).

Meanwhile the cinemas tell them that if they do release via digital, then they won’t get to show any more films in their cinemas, even though none of the cinemas can open, for who knows how long. And the cinemas can’t make money without gouging on ticket prices and up-selling buckets of popcorn. It’s bonkers isn’t it, as the real losers are the consumers, who are expected to pay twice for the product if they want to see it on time and then keep it forever. 

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

Unofficial word is the UK chains will most likely delay their opening because of Tenet being delayed again. So Tenet is being delayed because of lack of cinemas and cinemas are being delayed because of lack of Tenet.

I hope indies open earlier. They could just show classic films, or recent films that didn't get much of a wide release. That's what a lot of them were doing anyway, at least partly. Would probably get good custom from people desperate to sit in a dark room and watch anything.

If my local did, say, a movie marathon on a Saturday of some old movies, I’d go just to support them. 

Just make everyone wear masks and use straws for their wines. 

Our local Everyman is open at half capacity and showing a mix of oldies (eg Empire Strikes Back, Shawshank, Grease) and some re-releases of recent stuff (Queen & Slim, Onward, Dark Waters)

Not been yet, but most screenings I’ve hovered over buying tickets for look to be close to being sold out. Not sure about the nearby Odeon, but seeing as the rest of the city centre is busy whenever I’ve passed through would assume a fair few would opt for an evening at the flicks if they could.

Maybe half capacity just isn’t viable for the bigger chains with more areas to make safe, whereas the premium price of the indies mean even half a screening works for them.

18 hours ago, JohnC said:

That’s the script for his next movie.

Seems to me that if streaming or VOD would be viable, studios would release their movies on them right now as they love money.

Anyway, I'd watch it. Cinemas here have re-opened two months ago, but I won't go to watch Interstellar again, as much as I love that movie.

i'd be surprised if Netflix haven't offered $250m for the worldwide rights. They spent $100m on Bright, after all. 

That would be about the best outcome I can imagine for Warner Bros really as a theatrical release needs a huge push, full seats for 2 weeks and a big marketing budget, and then they have to give half the receipts to the theaters.

I imagine Nolan has theatrical and Imax in his contract though and he can be the block.

All speculation obvs...

Saw a surprisingly lengthy preview of this at the cinema last week, and it looks phenomenal. I had no idea what was going on narratively, though; if you had told me this was a straight sequel to Inception I would've believed you.

4 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

i'd be surprised if Netflix haven't offered $250m for the worldwide rights. They spent $100m on Bright, after all. 

That would be about the best outcome I can imagine for Warner Bros really as a theatrical release needs a huge push, full seats for 2 weeks and a big marketing budget, and then they have to give half the receipts to the theaters.

I imagine Nolan has theatrical and Imax in his contract though and he can be the block.

All speculation obvs...

I don’t see how they can even start to make their money back with a staggered theatrical release: you’ve immediately lost the “event” money, and most theatres will be forced to be half full or less.

2 hours ago, footle said:

I don’t see how they can even start to make their money back with a staggered theatrical release: you’ve immediately lost the “event” money, and most theatres will be forced to be half full or less.

The only way it could possibly work is if due to being the only new film on release it plays in every screen, and it hits an Avatar like zeitgeist cos its the first new film in 6 months. 

But thats a long shot 

36 minutes ago, jon_cybernet said:

I think they might be underestimating how many people are still too scared to go back to the cinemas, even now. 

I don't know. They said that about restaurants as well, but some restaurants over here are fully booked on a regular basis. Fully booked meaning less seats than before the pandemic of course.

• 2 weeks later...

IMAX would logically be the best way to see this film, but checking the nearest IMAX at Bluewater Kent for me, my daughter and my 75 year old dad, its over £51, so I'm out. I don't want to pay that much and find out its a crap Nolan film like the last Batman one. Also my dad going at his age, as much as he would be desperate to get out, its too risky.

I'll sit it out for the Blu-Ray.

EDIT - By comparision its £30 for normal non-IMAX, the IMAX premium is too much. I'd only pay £51 to see it if I had the whole place to ourselves, as the worst thing about cinema is the fucking scumbags that you have to sit though it with sometimes.