Christopher Nolan's Tenet - Espionage Movie

And that's your lot. There's no word on the subject, title or anything else. Nolan's last picture, Dunkirk, made $526M on a global scale, and it was quite a change for him after the likes of Inception, Interstellar and The Dark Knight series. 

I imagine speculation will run wild that he's working on something from their DCEU - a Superman reboot or something. 

Watch this space. Chances are it'll have Tom Hardy in it :) 

22 minutes ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

I've hated every single one of his films I've seen since Memento. 

I thought it was just me that felt like that, can't stand them - though I do like Memento & The Prestige (even with Bowie & Bales silly accents)

8 hours ago, Goose said:

imagine speculation will run wild that he's working on something from their DCEU - a Superman reboot or something

Think Superman is very unlikely. Man of Steel was his idea for a Superman reboot.  It just became Snidered/Goyered when he and his brother moved to producing instead.

Went in to Dunkirk with zero expectations, really enjoyed it. It's more about the feel than anything else.

The Dark Knight was brilliant for the opening heist alone, and Inception is one of the few films I came out of and immediately had to see again. And it was original. Interstellar was a bit shit, in retrospect. But pretty.

Hope this is original.

I saw The Prestige in LA with no fanfare or foreknowledge and I absolutely loved it, but I don’t think it stands up to repeat viewings 

No arguments about the Dark Knight trilogy, even tho it peaked with the first movie 

Inception is a fucking headache, an unpopular sixth former’s wet dream. Interstellar is just one of the worst films I’ve ever endured (please don’t start on cinematography and audio, it’s an awful movie, you can have the technicalities if it pleases you)

1 hour ago, Stigweard said:

So the cool thing is to hate on Nolan now then :rolleyes: Although I've notice its the same suspects that hate on anything popular so doesn't surprise me. Nolan haters are like those annoying people who have to let you know they've never seen Game of Thrones because somehow that makes them better.

Notable failures? Pull the other other. These are all great films.

The Prestige

Batman Begins

The Dark Knight

Inception

I really liked Dunkirk too. Probably not something I'd bother with again, and some of the decisions about how to present the timeline arent great but I can appreciate the great directing and fantastic sound editing of it.

Not hating on Nolan you gibbering loon. He's a good film maker and I really admire his ambition. 

However, he's not deserving of the reputation Warner have managed to manufacture of him, where simply announcing the date of release of his next film is newsworthy. 

He's being moulded by the same factory that produced Kubrick to walk that path, but he's not in the same league (I mean, nobody is, but still..)

His films are always worth watching and always have loads to admire. There are moments of astonishing film making in each of his projects (that bit in Interstellar where mccaunaghey is watching his missed messages), but likewise each of his projects manage to fall just short of great (that whole sequence in the dark Knight with the two ships).

Get off your high horse buddy. 

I love all the theatre that surrounds a Nolan release. For me he's made some great films (Dark Knight Trilogy, Inception, Dunkirk) and some very good ones (pretty much all the rest). So I'm always buying a ticket for whatever he puts out.

In shameless namedrop mode, I worked on the release of his most underrated film, Insomnia. Even met the man. 

In order of greatness, Nolans films

• Memento 10/10 - Phenomenal thriller that manages the incredible feat of not being at all about what you think its about. Gripping, intelligent and masterfully directed. A true classic.
  • Inception 8/10 - Overly expositional, breaks its own rules, and loses its way slightly in the third act when it goes all call of duty. But incredibly inventive and mildly poignant
  • Insomnia 8/10 - Captivating low profile thriller with some great performances. 
  • Following 8/10 - Captivating and enigmatic debut. Shows incredible talent and promise
  • Dunkirk 7/10 - Not really a film as such. More a reconstruction. Succeeds greatly in placing you inside the environment. Less successful as a movie. Intensely irritating score.
  • Interstellar 7/10 - I love this movie. It's all over the place and it bites off way more than it can chew. But for pure chutzpah and for suggesting that "love is the 4th dimension" I'll always admire it as a film that shot for the moon but missed.
  • The Prestige 6/10 - I don't get it. Bowie looks like Ricky Gervais, the timeline jumps add nothing to the telling of the story, and the whole plot relies on a deus ex machina that is just ridiculous. 
  • The Dark Knight 6/10 - Another one I don't get at all. Any scene with Heath ledger is fucking brilliant, but everything else is bloated over earnest nonsense. I remember trying to watch it with my girlfriend and the first time she heard Batman speak she just lost her shit. Couldn't stop laughing. It's all just so silly.
  • Batman Begins 6/10 - Can't remember anything about this except for the stupid mcguffin of a train with an engine that evaporates water flying through a city but not affecting any of the people.
  • The Dark Knight Rises 3/10 - Unintentionally hilariously bad. Nolans only shit film.

So summing up, he's made 4 great films. One stone cold classic and about 3 really good films. That's pretty bloody good going. It's just, thats nothing more than any number of other directors in my opinion.

11 minutes ago, Bazjam said:

I love all the theatre that surrounds a Nolan release. For me he's made some great films (Dark Knight Trilogy, Inception, Dunkirk) and some very good ones (pretty much all the rest). So I'm always buying a ticket for whatever he puts out.

He has made some great films, no question. But the theatre of a release is for me the problem. It was triggered by Inception, was completely out of control on Interstellar, and even in IMAX i thought the trailer for Dunkirk looked like an episode of Foyles War.

It’s working for him so nowt I say matters as damn but as above if Dunkirk were playing in’t backyard I’d close t’ curtains

11 minutes ago, Bazjam said:

Me too. I always go to the Imax because you always know you're gonna get value for money with Nolan. That he's going to try to push cinema as far as its gonna be pushed. It's just a shame that they always fall just short. 

On August 4th 2016, in the Dunkirk thread I wrote "This is going to be Nolans masterpiece. Calling it now." because I really believe he has all the tools to be one of the true greats. And I want that to be the case.

4 minutes ago, linkster said:

He has made some great films, no question. But the theatre of a release is for me the problem. It was triggered by Inception, was completely out of control on Interstellar, and even in IMAX i thought the trailer for Dunkirk looked like an episode of Foyles War.

It’s working for him so nowt I say matters as damn but as above if Dunkirk were playing in’t backyard I’d close t’ curtains

You seem to have a lot of hatred for a film you haven't seen. Unless I'm reading your posts wrong.

1 minute ago, Bazjam said:

You seem to have a lot of hatred for a film you haven't seen. Unless I'm reading your posts wrong.

Thats over simplifying it a bit, if you like a band then they get old and shit or big and popular and shit then you just skip their new output, right?

12 minutes ago, linkster said:

Thats over simplifying it a bit, if you like a band then they get old and shit or big and popular and shit then you just skip their new output, right?

Agreed. But I wouldn't right off the fact that they may still have a good album left in them.

3 minutes ago, Bazjam said:

Agreed. But I wouldn't right off the fact that they may still have a good album left in them.

Totally agree, what I was saying is I was in the perfect environment  to  be sold on Dunkirk (Leicester Square imax pre Civil War showing) and the trailer just had opposite effect on me