rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Benny

The Official Rllmuk Game of the Year Awards 2018 - Now Showing: Final Bonus and Poll

As a result of the awards, which top 20 game do you think you will now play?  

66 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Mario Odyssey....

:)

Excellent write ups everybody - always really savour these threads whether I agree with the reviewers or not, thank you for spending time on it all.

• Upvote 1

I’m glad the people’s champion got number 2 spot, baffled at the winner - never understand how people can rate games so highly that fail so badly at the core mechanic of actually playing the game :blink:

Well done to @Benny for sorting it again and too the review contributors for some excellent prose :) 

9 hours ago, Benny said:

At the end of this year it'll be time to do the Best Games of the Decade of course.

Will be interesting to see how many hyped 2019 AAA games make the "best of the decade" list due to being fresh in people's minds only to be forgotten a couple of years later.

Anyway great thread, thanks for all the effort.

The only games in the top 20 I own/have played are Wipeout VR and Hollow Knight but I still really enjoyed reading all the write ups.My game of the year was Rise: Race The Future but I was too embarassed to vote for it.

Yes, great work Benny and co. Have enjoyed. Would play again.

It wasn't the best year all told, though. At least not for AAAs - the indies and B tier games were much more interesting.

6 hours ago, partious said:

Will be interesting to see how many hyped 2019 AAA games make the "best of the decade" list due to being fresh in people's minds only to be forgotten a couple of years later.

Which is why I think we should wait a year longer to do it. Either way though it will be skewed to games that are fresher in the mind.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, metallicfrodo said:

Which is why I think we should wait a year longer to do it. Either way though it will be skewed to games that are fresher in the mind.

<pedant>Especially as 2020 is the actual last year in the decade... hmmmn-hmmnn-hmmm</pedant>

• Upvote 1

Just to echo what others are saying, well done to benny and the boys. The write ups have been terrific, by being both amusing and informative in equal measure. The work that has been put into them is really impressive. Plus obviously all the leg work that was done collating all the votes.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Benny said:

Quite surprising for a 2D platformer to occupy a spot here, but there we go.

The theming and connection with the gameplay work so well - the platforming is tough, and many sequences seem near-impossible, so of course the theme of self-doubt and self-belief is completely appropriate. Then again, as a fan of Persona 4 - Badeline reminds me a little of the shadow alter-egos - I love themes like this anyway. (My only little issue is that certain critics push the story as Mental Health Issues: The Game - true to an extent, but also underselling how much of the story will also resonate with a larger audience.)

Great to see Deltarune up there too. ^_^

What a fantastic collection of joyous, clever and well written reviews.

The writing makes me grin like a loon and laugh out loud, they are the "Astro Bot" of game reviews.

Well done to everybody involved.

• Upvote 2

Best Sound Design

5. Super Smash Bros: Ultimate

Who can argue with a game that includes Nintendo’s almost entire iconic music back catalog?

4. Hollow Knight

Well, that sounds amazing. I can see why it ranked here.

3. Celeste

And so does that! What a great year for music.

Qazimod:

"This is a game with some serious tunes, and each one manages to capture the mood of the chapter incredibly well - the isolation and creeping danger in Golden Ridge, the inner soul-searching of the Mirror Temple, the climactic battle in Reflection and that amazing medley in the summit. And then there are remixes to be found in the B-sides and beyond. Outside of the music, Celeste also handles effects well - there's the gibberish chatter that accompanies the dialogue, the harsh pop as Madeline gets wiped out, the slamming of big impacts, and clever touches such as when Madeline goes underwater and the soundtrack becomes muffled whilst she's submerged. Even when your death count is in the hundreds, the sound design is good enough to keep you coming back."

2. Red Dead Redemption II

I wrote a little bit about the sound design in the main RDR2 review, but to expand upon it a little here: it’s just the whole soundscape of the game that is an absolute masterclass in audio. The entire world feels alive in a way that eclipses even Breath of the Wild, which was previously the high bar for environmental audio in my opinion. Every single tiny thing in the world that moves has sound, from tiny falling rocks to scattering critters to the creak of wagons or the clattering of pots. It’s a world as deeply rich in sound texture as it is detailed in visual splendor. Voice acting is also uniformly brilliant. And the soundtrack? Absolutely superb.

Dee do da da, Do do do, da da da, do do do, da da da, dum, dum, dum, der award

1. Tetris Effect

The trailer music was enough to fall in love with it before it was even out, but it must be doing something right to score higher than something as astounding as the audio in RDR2 this year. Synaesthesia is a powerful drug.

• Upvote 9

5 hours ago, Danster said:

<pedant>Especially as 2020 is the actual last year in the decade... hmmmn-hmmnn-hmmm</pedant>

Not unless there are 11 years in a decade it isn't, 2010-2019 - ten years.

3 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Boys, I've found the programmer.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Lads, I’ve found the guy who wasn’t around for these discussions around the millennium.

• Upvote 3

It's exceedingly not interesting, but simply: there is no AD 0; therefore the first decade is AD 1-10. So each decade runs on that pattern (and the new millennium didn't start until 2001).

12 minutes ago, Stanley said:

So the year 2000 is actually still the 90's?

1650468892_giphy(7).gif.d98aa108e3fe65e5f6dd6fae126fff5d.gif

Yes, but people are stupid. Technically 2000 shouldn’t have been a leap year, but they made it one to avoid confusing people.

30 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Yeah you'll have to explain that one to me, I was doing far too many drugs around that time.

...whilst posting this thread:

;) 

I'll call it Games of the last Ten Years if it will keep you pedants happy.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

No, a decade is just a period of ten years. It's possible for a decade to span the 80s and 90s. 

Yes though they are clearly delineated and split up in ways for us to refer back to them easily, the 40's, 50's, 60's etc.

Imagine if Skynet reset itself and sent poor Kyle Reese back to 0000 by accident.

"What year is it, what decade!"

"Fuck knows man, nice kicks btw.."

• Upvote 2

Look, I'm sure we can all agree that this is the year AUC 2772, that the best game of the 60s was Mass Effect, and their we've got another eight years until the next decadely vote.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Look, I'm sure we can all agree that this is the year AUC 2772, that the best game of the 60s was Mass Effect, and their we've got another eight years until the next decadely vote.

I need some drugs.