Benny

The Official Rllmuk Game of the Year Awards 2018 - Now Showing: Final Bonus and Poll

As a result of the awards, which top 20 game do you think you will now play?  

65 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, Zael said:

Can understand people not liking a game. But comments around other people only liking a game because they've been tricked or have bad taste are so fucking tiresome. 

Literally no one said that. 

People have different taste and I can see how someone who prioritises or prefers different things in their games would love God of War. It's just that to me it fell flat on all the promises that appealed to me. 

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Is it, I thought they seemed very similar, I certainly wouldn't describe it as worse? 

I don't know what JPL is referring to exactly, but I made the mistake of playing RDR1 (lovingly enhanced to 4k through XBX BC) for a bit in the lead up to RDR2. Of course it features the trademark cumbersome Rockstar controls we all love to hate, but they were doable in that game. The even shonkier controls and the ridiculous over-animation of the main character make RDR2 far, far worse in this specific regard (or, in terms of those who do like the game: "it takes more getting used to") than RDR1. That, I didn't expect. Of course, people who love RDR2, REALLY LOVE RDR2 -  for those folk everything else presumably more than makes up for this.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Is it, I thought they seemed very similar, I certainly wouldn't describe it as worse? 

I'd say it's quirks stand out somewhat more, with a story and characters written in a way even more at odds with the game as scripted, so it certainly feels the more dissonant of the two.

12 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Yep. I booted it up immediately after finishing 2 to refresh my memory on how the first one starts and immediately the controls felt snappier. Probably ecause he’s not having to finish off his canned animations as much. The menu systems worked better as well as it was designed around less items, so isn’t as unwieldy. Overall it just felt slicker and more fun. That’s just mental for an 8 year old game and I really can’t understand why Rockstar haven’t moved with the times in their control systems/UI design.

Onviously 2 does a few things better, such as graphics and storytelling, but the actual gameplay is worse.

Maybe it’s as @Wiper says. The super realism of 2 causes the gameplay to feel off, whereas the first is far more of a game, so it all fits together better. That’s an interesting point.

One thing I will point out that really pissed me off to with 2 is that in the first when I called my horse, I’d set off running in the direction I wanted to go and I could leap on as he trotted alongside, giving a nice smooth transition from running to horseback. In 2, your horse stops a few paces away from you, so you can’t do it. You have to stop, turn around and walk over to your horse, climb on, then set off where you want to go. It’s the culmination of loads of little QoL things like this that regressed in 2 which made it worse to play that the first.

13 minutes ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

Literally no one said that. 

People have different taste and I can see how someone who prioritises or prefers different things in their games would love God of War. It's just that to me it fell flat on all the promises that appealed to me. 

JPL literally just said that about RDR2.

36 minutes ago, Zael said:

JPL literally just said that about RDR2.

I didn’t say people are stupid for liking it. I even enjoyed it myself. To a degree. My point was more that such a hyped game will get more votes simply because more people will have played it, leading to more votes, rather than they’ve been tricked. It’s more down to reviewers to point out those flaws and take them into account really, but it got pretty much universal praise, which I can’t agree with.

But, I’m banging on about it a bit too much, so I’ll leave it out now.

19 minutes ago, JPL said:

I didn’t say people are stupid for liking it. I even enjoyed it myself. To a degree. My point was more that such a hyped game will get more votes simply because more people will have played it, leading to more votes, rather than they’ve been tricked. It’s more down to reviewers to point out those flaws and take them into account really, but it got pretty much universal praise, which I can’t agree with.

But, I’m banging on about it a bit too much, so I’ll leave it out now.

Ok I see what you mean and I think that comment is fair. It probably has gotten a few votes because its one of the few games a voter has played. But then you also have people like me who play a ton of games (every game on this list so far and more) and still rate RDR2 really high. 

It's a marmite game for sure but when you say it's worse than it's predecessor I say it's better and my vote for it is because I genuinely think it's the best game I've played out of the 30 odd games ive played this year. 

But you're right, this conversation has been done to death so I'll leave it here too.

4 hours ago, JPL said:

I think it just goes to show what good marketing and undeservedly high review scores can do for a game *cough* Edge you idiots *cough*.

So sorry, just to make sure I'm in the loop here, fancy graphics and outlets being friends with Rockstar are why it got such universally high scores from pretty much all of the gaming press? And then that and the fact the graphics are fancy are why a 70 hour minimum game is considered really great by a big percentage of people playing it?

So everyone who played it is so stupid that they just got into the hype? For in my case over 100 hours? And it's not that different people like different things and want said different things from their videogames? And the fact that this has the greatest game world ever created (possibly outside of BOTW but again, different strokes for different folks) and a brilliant story subtly told in a manner that's far and above most of what else is in the medium at a AAA level. Even TV shows rarely have to tell one story over such a long period of time, it's an unparalleled achievement as far as I'm concerned. 

It's fine if you didn't like RDR2, and I'm more than happy to hear why that is. I'm on a gaming forum, debate about games is fun.

But drop all the condescending shit about why people did like it. You're wrong. 

• Upvote 2

I actually enjoyed God of War more than RDR2 this year. I just played it a little too late to put in my voting post.

It's a very traditionally structured game that doesn't really do anything new, but what it does do is polished to within an inch of its life. I find the negative comparisons to Dark Souls strange, as it's a very different type of game. If you could fall off ledges to your death it would be pointless and annoy rather than add to it like in that game.

I found the game did run out of steam in the last third though, completely the opposite of the next game I'm reviewing...

27 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

So sorry, just to make sure I'm in the loop here, fancy graphics and outlets being friends with Rockstar are why it got such universally high scores from pretty much all of the gaming press? And then that and the fact the graphics are fancy are why a 70 hour minimum game is considered really great by a big percentage of people playing it?

So everyone who played it is so stupid that they just got into the hype? For in my case over 100 hours? And it's not that different people like different things and want said different things from their videogames? And the fact that this has the greatest game world ever created (possibly outside of BOTW but again, different strokes for different folks) and a brilliant story subtly told in a manner that's far and above most of what else is in the medium at a AAA level. Even TV shows rarely have to tell one story over such a long period of time, it's an unparalleled achievement as far as I'm concerned. 

It's fine if you didn't like RDR2, and I'm more than happy to hear why that is. I'm on a gaming forum, debate about games is fun.

But drop all the condescending shit about why people did like it. You're wrong. 

Huh? What condescending shit? Where have I said that people who liked it are stupid?

All I’ve said is that the amount of positive hype it received, along with its no doubt huge marketing budget, has pushed it far further into the public’s consciousness than most other games. Meaning more people have played it, including here, therefore it’ll gather the most votes.

I am a bit disappointed that the majority of previews and reviews I read of it, there was no mention of the cumbersome controls, unrefined UI, overly-linear mission structure, etc. It was generally gushing praise. Which is fine for the things is does excel at, but a bit of a let down if you want a truly balanced view. My Edge comment was a bit tongue-in-cheek, but I honestly don’t know why most professional reviewers didn’t mention any negatives. You just have to read the thread on here and you’ll see a lot of people have the same issues with it that I do. Why these weren’t flagged is anyone’s guess. Maybe you could tell me?

As I said, I couldn’t believe that the original felt better to play once I’d finished it, which, for me at least, is a pretty big backwards step. Obviously, others are going to be fine with its flaws and that’s great.

I did try to briefly explain this with my last post as well, but calm down with the aggression, it’s only a game. One with an amazing world and decently told story, but with backwards controls, UI and mission design.

infuriatingly shit stealth sections

Please tell me you just mean the MJ and MM sections, yeah? The Spidey stealth bits were my favourite part of the game!

1 minute ago, Treble said:

Please tell me you just mean the MJ and MM sections, yeah? The Spidey stealth bits were my favourite part of the game!

All of it, but especially for the two other characters you control i.e. not Spider-Man. Stealth in a non-stealth focused game never works.

I don't understand that perspective. There are two types of perch takedowns and two states the enemies can be in when perched (Danger or Safe). The free roam takedowns are also fine: land behind them, hit square. 

As the stealth challenges were the only ones I found easy, I politely invite naysayers to GIT GUD, sir :)

Not me, but I basically did the same things:

8 minutes ago, Treble said:

I did just mean the MJ and MM bits. I think if there weren't quite so many of them it wouldn't have been nearly as bad, but as it is they were so hilariously out-of-kilter with what was good about the rest of the game. In a game that sparkled in it's free-wheeling movement and feeling boss to suddenly and repeatedly turn you back into a normal, rubbish person who had to hide was pretty shit.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jolly said:

I did just mean the MJ and MM bits. I think if there weren't quite so many of them it wouldn't have been nearly as bad, but as it is they were so hilariously out-of-kilter with what was good about the rest of the game. In a game that sparkled in it's free-wheeling movement and feeling boss to suddenly and repeatedly turn you back into a normal, rubbish person who had to hide was pretty shit.

100% agree, and completely baffling as to why they were included in the first place.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PC Master Race said:

I have no stake in this race, but I kinda want Astro Bot to win just to see particular people have a complete meltdown. 

As good as RDR2 is -- and it is really good -- Astro Bot is by far the most deserving of the two, imo. 

...and they're so different, with different experience goals that they're not even that comparable anyway. 

1 hour ago, Treble said:

The spidey stealth bits in the (gang areas) would have been fine IF they didn’t immediately end at the beginning of round two.

It was a rare misstep in the game: “you are going to play it our way”.

but it was no RDR2.