Benny

The Official Rllmuk Game of the Year Awards 2018 - Now Showing: Final Bonus and Poll

As a result of the awards, which top 20 game do you think you will now play?  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, Jolly said:

mdn2

"The clever twist with this is if you screw up, you can send one of your mech pilots back in time to restart the campaign with all the experience he's gained. It adds an interesting risk/reward mechanic and it has that 'one more go' that great turn based strategy games have. Wargroove has its work cut out for it next year if it aims to best this."

Just to quote myself: Wargroove is better than this. And I really liked this. 

Great write up @Jolly

• Upvote 3

So many modern board games are better than chess now, that you can probably review some of them saying they are like Into the Breach. It's the new circle of games design.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Great review of a great game. And it really does feel like playing chess.

It feels a lot like playing chess puzzles or Really Bad Chess (iOS). Limiting the board size and pieces to three is just genius.

"This is a £25 roadside fry-up of a game except actually delicious."

"This thing is ridiculously long, like a baguette that Roy Castle has gone to have a look at." 

The best write up yet. Justifies the argument for a double upvote button. 

• Upvote 4

Wow. From the current list I've only played MHW (which I didn't get on with and sold off)!

Good list so far though. :)

Editors note: the top 5 games in the list were often neck-in-neck and kept swapping places as votes came in. The distance between them widened much later. Even now a couple of them are quite close.

Here's a fun story. I apparently subconsciously decided that Celeste wasn't difficult enough so when I started to play one evening I inexplicably completely forgot you were able to cling onto the walls. It wasn't even a long break between play sessions, like a day or something. I wrestled my way through the entirety of that hotel bit; about three hours of play; before suddenly '...Resi 4 has a run button?!'

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

23 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Ohh noes, how is RDR2 ahead of an actual stone dead classic like Celeste? :( 

Bloody mukkers, what you like!

Better question: why is a non-game like RDR2 ahead of anything on the list so far?

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1
  • Empathy 1

That caption :D 

But yeah, Celeste was at the top of my GotY list even though I'd never usually consider it my thing. The difficulty is balanced almost perfectly and it's wrapped in a charming story and ace presentation. :wub: 

• Upvote 1