Benny

The Official Rllmuk Game of the Year Awards 2018 - Now Showing: Final Bonus and Poll

As a result of the awards, which top 20 game do you think you will now play?  

65 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 hours ago, witchypoos said:

:lol: I don't care who thought of it, you're both getting sucked off.

As much as I'm sure that would be enjoyable, I'm afraid it was Benny who came up with it - I'd completely forgotten that that particular IGN fiasco had been Dead Cells related! Now we just have to wait until the 2019 awards to do something equivalent for Resident Evil 2:

You just talked yourself out of a gobble, young man.

Not aiming this at anyone in particular and I hate to be a pedant, but I see people using the term roguelike when they mean roguelite all the time on this site.

The most commonly accepted definition of what constitutes a pwoper wogueLIKE - http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Berlin_Interpretation

If in doubt ask yourself "Is it top down, is it grid based, is it turn based" if the answer is no, it'll be a rogueLITE.

It still might be a roguelite if it's all of these things, but if it's not, it won't be.

Now if you could all purposefully keep using the term roguelike just to get on my tits, that'd be swell.

If it's good enough for the French to have Doom-like still be one of the standard terms for an FPS, then I'm damn well going to keep using Roguelike to refer to any game with a randomised structure and permadeath. No matter what doughnuts have to say on the matter.

• Upvote 6

You know what? You're probably right, it's time to drop the old definitions.

Language changes over time, if enough people misuse a word, the ones using it properly end up being the ones misusing it.

Roguelike just means procedural generation and permadeath now, and "bullet hell" means any game in any genre where there might be more than one bullet on the screen at some point.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

We could just call them all Rogueish.

But Roguelike really does seem fine for them all now. Actual Roguelikes are thin enough on the ground nowadays to make it an unnecessary distinction.

Thinking about it, I have my own daft genre classifications.

"Top down shooters" and "twin stick shooters" are distinct from each other in my mind depending on whether they play better with a control pad or mouse and keyboard.

Nuclear throne, top down
Enter the gungeon, twin stick
monolith, top down
Rush Rover, twin stick
leap of fate, top down

nex machina, twin stick

Binding of Isaac, one stick, four buttons

assault android cactus, twin stick.

I mean, I could go on.

Maybe there should be a separate thread for our inane comments? I feel like I've wandered on stage and pissed myself during the changeover.

Nice to see "Boozy", the forums live-in eunuch having his moment in the sun there*

*I'm assuming this is ghost-moderator approved banter rather than straight up trolling cuntery?

More than happy to replace it with some safety in numbers neg bullying if it'll save me getting banned for a month.

• Downvote 10

I'd love to read and retort to Benny's opinion on Sea of Thieves. Now's the time to do it. 

I'd also like to state for the record that my cock and balls are attached and in full working order. I've just toned it down a bit.

I'm leaving the negative emotions for Wiper to pump out this time. I might get round to it after I've done the rest.

2 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

I've just toned it down a bit.

Well would you mind toning it up a little bit, darling? I forgot you were here.

13 minutes ago, Stanley said:

This shouldn't need saying, but no need for personal insults like that @witchypoos

Divvent be daft, it's how real men bond, I've seen it on the telly. Vn1x does the same to me, he'll take it as a joke.

You're right though, it's a lovely thread, I'll comb my hair all nice and go back and sit in the audience on my bestest behaviour.

Boo! Get neg on!

2 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

He was actually defending me.

Yes, I took the opportunity to hint that he might be on the wrong page, I thought it'd be less rude than just stating it outright.

Are we all feeling alright today? I'm getting weird vibes.

Just a heads up that the next entry won't be up until tomorrow - entirely my fault, as I'm on writing duty for that one (though I will plead mitigating circumstances as being bedridden all of yesterday evening and today has been the primary factor in delaying it).

• Empathy 1

On 27/01/2019 at 19:22, Wiper said:

If it's good enough for the French to have Doom-like still be one of the standard terms for an FPS, then I'm damn well going to keep using Roguelike to refer to any game with a randomised structure and permadeath. No matter what doughnuts have to say on the matter.

This brings me back to when I was 18 staying with a family in France and had bought an N64 mag in French. It has a review of Turok and referred to it frequently as Doom-like!!! Thank you for reminding me of that! :D

• Upvote 2

I genuinely love the term and wish it were used in English. Actually, I think I'll start using it; be the change I want to see in the world!

• Upvote 1

Excellent write-up about an excellent game. Shame it's only 14 though, imho it deserves to be a lot closer to number one. I have to assume not enough people played it - but it's never too late!

• Upvote 3

I haven't played a lot of Hitman 2 but I was very impressed by a small detail I found. Dressed as a scummy hot dog vendor I went up to a gate very close to the racing track and couldn't stop grinning at the racoon tail on my hat being blown about every time the cars went past.

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, Nequests said:

Does it still require a constant internet connection? I'll buy it RIGHT NOW if it doesn't.

I'm afraid it (practically) does. You can play offline, and I believe you can complete every core mission that way, but if you actually want to unlock new items/entry points/starting disguises, or to play any of the challenge missions, you need a constant connection. Which is extremely shit.

• Upvote 1

What's the justification for that? Sounds awfully close to single player game that doesn't really need an internet connection, but does, for no real benefit.

• Upvote 1

The received wisdom is that it's a hangover of the Squeenix days - the publisher wanted it, so Hitman 2016 had it, and they didn't have the time or resources to excise it from the new game (much as the new game is still structured as separate downloadable episodes, even though it wasn't released episodically).

I don't recall what the ostensible reasons were - probably to do with leaderboards and cheating and such, though in that case I'd have been happy for them to turn off leaderboards on internet drop out. The one actual benefit I do know of is that IO used gathered telemetric data from the levels to determine how people were playing the game, and used it to refine their level design, but that hardly justifies forcing everyone to be online forever.

• Upvote 3