Benny

The Official Rllmuk Game of the Year Awards 2018 - Now Showing: Final Bonus and Poll

As a result of the awards, which top 20 game do you think you will now play?  

66 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I still feel bad for not having played Deltarune, considering how good Undertale was. Just too many games :(

It's definitely on my list for this year. At some point.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, witchypoos said:

Poor neg, the perfect opportunity to give the forums whipping boy his one day in the sun.

Get neg on, I wanna hear what he has to say about deltarune.

He did not leave comments in the voting thread, so there were no comments to include. Whoops!

22 hours ago, witchypoos said:

Poor neg, the perfect opportunity to give the forums whipping boy his one day in the sun.

Get neg on, I wanna hear what he has to say about deltarune.

The main point I would make about Deltarune is that it showed me that, for better or worse, there are very few games I genuinely get excited and hyped to play as soon as possible anymore, and then continue to want to indulge in as much info as I can on the title and share.

And unlike all the other games I may gave spent up to £50 on, played for a while and called it a day without the game mattering much to me in the grand scheme of things even if it's a fine game (and especially after the painful last year and a half I've lived, making me even more indifferent to things); Here comes Deltarune for completely free, with hours of content to think about, play and escape in.

It really does put 'value for money' into perspective.

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Wiper said:

and yet the art style is completely true to the original.

Not sure how true that is. No question the remaster looks great on its own terms but it feels quite different to the originals more blown-out desaturated feel. This is perhaps most obvious in the way Wander is rendered:

FF530A51-4E41-4FB3-9617-01F60AF1794B.thumb.jpeg.2347122e0d0e320e6f994d3dae0d0ab2.jpeg

• Upvote 5

I couldn't get on with the new look of SotC at all. The original is one of my all time favourite games but I felt this version lost a lot of the beauty of that.

Stil an incredible game, mind. 

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

30 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

Not sure how true that is. No question the remaster looks great on its own terms but it feels quite different to the originals more blown-out desaturated feel. This is perhaps most obvious in the way Wander is rendered:

FF530A51-4E41-4FB3-9617-01F60AF1794B.thumb.jpeg.2347122e0d0e320e6f994d3dae0d0ab2.jpeg

24 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

I couldn't get on with the new look of SotC at all. The original is one of my all time favourite games but I felt this version lost a lot of the beauty of that.

Stil an incredible game, mind. 

Clearly my take on the remake's artwork isn't universal! I do think that it hues very closely to the original (glowing Wander notwithstanding), even as it increases the colour range and layers on more detail. I guess a good way to determine how you're likely to feel about the new art style is something like this shot (apologies for the quality):

4469845_SoTCcomparison.png.fb1d436362188829f1ce68e09e752a79.png

Which demonstrates the way the remake keeps the desaturated feel, but does add detail and warmth and doesn't wash things out quite as much as the original; if you feel that's a step too far then you may come away disapppointed.

Is it really the plan to carry on dripping this out one a day for 20 days, then all the other sub awards after? I feel like a twat just posting this, but it's going to be a little annoying.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Is it really the plan to carry on dripping this out one a day for 20 days, then all the other sub awards after? I feel like a twat just posting this, but it's going to be a little annoying.

If you like, I can PM you the complete list, then you won't have to wait for us to do all this tedious to read writing.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Benny said:

If you like, I can PM you the complete list, then you won't have to wait for us to do all this tedious to read writing.

Yeah, I know. I said I felt like a twat. 

5 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Yeah, I know. I said I felt like a twat. 

I mean I could try and bend time and space so that we can type out the reviews quicker, but it's not my specific area of expertise.

• Upvote 1

When Spider-God of Redemption 2 will almost certainly make up the last entries, this is one of the most interesting bits. ;) 

You're going to list everything outside the top 20 at the end though, right?

I'll follow essentially the same format as last year, excepting the posts from individual writers this time.

• Upvote 1

18. Yakuza 6: The Song of Life

Kiryu-chan-10.jpg

I have to admit, once I had finished Yakuza 0, I felt that was exactly the right amount of Yakuza to have in my life (down in the back!). And with most consensus of opinion on the other games being that generally none of them have reached the heights of 0, I was not in any rush to extend my adventures in the mean streets of Osaka. Many of you have enjoyed the latest iteration of the series however:

It was Yobo Ahoy’s game of the year:

“A deviation to the recent formula (only one playable character) for this final game in the main Yak lineage, it tries to make up for it in story terms. Great characters, looks beautiful, and although there were a few gripes with the new engine it's a brave new step.”

And The Bag’s:

“The secret really was a jump the shark moment, but the rest was a fitting last outing for Kiryu.  I’ve being playing these games for over a decade, since the first was released in the UK, and I will admit to shedding a tear at the end”

Wiper was going to write about it but he's too busy being drunk with the limited edition version whiskey glasses, so he'll review them instead.

• Upvote 9

6 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I really hope Benny lets Wiper write the RDR2 entry, that would be fantastically entertaining :D

Hopefully it will be up soon, 17 all ready seems too high up the list ;) 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Wiper said:

And you thought Benny was joking...

18X. Yakuza 6: The Song of Life: Whisky Glass Set

1481654789_Yakuza6WhiskyGlass.jpg.4ee9770b3129a2d6474ccfb5dfb278a7.jpg

How can we judge such fine works as these?

Made of heaviest glass, these tumblers are the perfect weight to hold one’s finest scotch in a manner most pleasing to the senses, sitting perfectly in the hand as one idly wafts one’s whisky under one’s nose, contemplating the ills in the world, just as Kiryu considers what next action he may take to restore honour to Kamurocho.

Then one brings the glass to one’s mouth, and oh! Swift relief; the smoothed edges of the tumbler perfectly offsetting the rough burn of the drink, just as Kiryu’s gentle soul perfectly offsets his tough demeanour.

Finally, one places the glass back on the thoughtfully provided coaster, and observes its etchings in all their beauty, cutting shockingly across the otherwise smooth surface, just as Kiryu’s rippling muscles are starkly caressed by his fearsome tattoos.

We do not speak of the whisky stones, for they are abomination. Chilled whisky? What an inappropriate combination! That would like… like a Yakuza performing karaoke. Good God, even they are perfect.

Truly, a set worthy of the Yakuza fan.

(okay, so I haven't actually played Yakuza 6 yet, despite owning it since launch. I have, however, gotten a lot of use out of the whisky glasses. Excellent video game tat, would buy again)

Well, it seems that we need a videogame tat category for the rllmuk awards from now on.

18 hours ago, Wiper said:

19. Shadow of the Colossus

392925183_ShadowoftheColossus.thumb.jpg.6f209034c217c01f37d3f2cbdd9516e7.jpg

"This game has too many empty spaces, empty spaces are boring, ergo this game is rubbish", or:

"This game is a glorified boss rush, boss rushes are rubbish, ergo this game is rubbish", or:

"There's nothing to do in the world, you can finish the game in a weekend, ergo this game is rubbish", or:

@Wiper expands on three points far better than I can but from my personal experiences with the original...

"This game has too many empty spaces, empty spaces are boring, ergo this game is rubbish"

I'd argue while they're devoid of a lot of life they're not empty. For one island there's so many amazing sights. Two that stay with me are the desert below the bridge with the wind whipping in between the pillars in such a way I've only heard in a few places in real life. Another was post game when a friend of mine was just idly exploring and found off the beaten track these amazing chalk cliffs and rocks that was far far away from any of the giants. Fans of walking sims should add this to their list even if they're never going to take on the graceful giants.

"This game is a glorified boss rush, boss rushes are rubbish, ergo this game is rubbish"

I'm someone who loathes boss battles in general and boss rushes especially. This is in my top ten of all time and the one big exception. Don't let boss battling put you off this.

"There's nothing to do in the world, you can finish the game in a weekend, ergo this game is rubbish"

I paid full price for this 13 years ago and completed it in a weekend. I still think about it 13 years on and it still feels vivid to me in a way that so many multi-hour epic games just don't. A handful of hours of exceptional content is worth more than hundreds of hours of average content.

In short if you have a Sony machine you owe it to yourself to at least experience this even once.

• Upvote 6