Wargroove - Medieval Advance Wars.

24 minutes ago, MikeBeaver said:

Do any units in this have a decent movement range eventually? I've just received the trebuchet's on Act 2 - 3.

The knights have 6, so can charge a trebuchet. Mages have 5, which is the best for an on foot unit. Some flying units are 7 or 8. And there's your wagons, of course.

Caesar's Act V side mission is nails. Managed to get to the enemy base three times now, only to get swiftly wiped out at the gates. Not sure what I need to change up, really. I hardly lose any units in the approach, and manage to claim most of the villages along the way.

Haven't really struggled with anything up to that point.

First trick I think is to claim all of the villages - you should be able to do so without losses, while rushing through - just remember to where possible use Caesar/archers to soften them up and pikemen to storm them. Assuming you've accrued a nice army that way you can easily lure most of the enemy to die on approach to the bridges, ideally using Caesar's ability to double-up on your heavy/ranged hitters.

Oh, and be generous with your healers! You've nothing better to spend gold on, after all.

Just done act 4.2 and it's all starting to drag a bit. It's the 3rd map in a row that's taken over an hour, and I can usually tell about halfway through that I'm going to win. It just takes an age to actually finish it. Would be nice to have more smaller maps that are actually a challenge to mix things up.

I might switch to arcade mode and puzzle mode for a while.

4 minutes ago, Yasawas said:

Nice. Is it like Into the Breach do you know, just saving after every turn even if you close the app suddenly?

No, you can Save and Quit, but when you continue, your save is gone. It's a way of stopping save spamming and cheating if a turn doesn't go your way. 

I'm only on 2.4 or 2.3 but it's really unforgiving!

At one stage they were spawning 7 enemies a round!

Would like some of the maps to be a little smaller and not so long but maybe i'll give arcade a try.

How far is everyone?

I'm certainly finding some stages to be a bit long and a bit of a grind.

Take 2.2 / 2.3 - the one with Caesar the dog. That took way longer than it should have and I found I didn't enjoy it much.  I could just be me being rubbish however.

I'm liking the variety of the missions so far - works well to keep it interesting.

My main tip so far would be to look after your commander - I've been defeated three times so far (up to act 3) and each time was a result of my commander dying after not realising how exposed they'd become to attacks!

5 hours ago, meatbin said:

I'm certainly finding some stages to be a bit long and a bit of a grind.

Take 2.2 / 2.3 - the one with Caesar the dog. That took way longer than it should have and I found I didn't enjoy it much.  I could just be me being rubbish however.

I just about managed got to the end of that one, with only Caesar left standing by himself.  I probably wouldn't have the urge to play through that again if I failed.  I'm liking the next set of side missions, the Muru one with the small map is nicely challenging.  

5 hours ago, Bushtopher said:

I'm liking the variety of the missions so far - works well to keep it interesting.

My main tip so far would be to look after your commander - I've been defeated three times so far (up to act 3) and each time was a result of my commander dying after not realising how exposed they'd become to attacks!

It can be hard to judge, but knowing how much damage a commander can take quite a lot of pressure away from other units.  The AI can't resist attacking them whenever possible and they can heal themselves if they withstand a turn of damage.  As others have said, the wagon/pikeman combo are really great too.

1 hour ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

What's the wagon/pikemen combo?

Pikemen are really relatively cheap for how they stack up against other ground units, you can have three for them for one ranger for example.  Their weakness is their limited mobility, which has to be supported by wagons, which I build quite early and the use their ridiculous range for pikemen.  Wagons are fairly cheap too and also have good defence and attract the AI to attack them, they can be used to block pinch points and protect other units.

Also, news on an update:

• gospvg changed the title to Wargroove - Medieval Advance Wars.