rllmuk
mdn2

Wargroove - Medieval Advance Wars. Out Now on Switch/PC/Xbox One. £15.99

21 minutes ago, Jolly said:

I'm in exactly the same boat as you! Feeling a bit overwhelmed which is taking the shine off the game to be honest. Unfortunately, I have the patience of a three year old so unless it clicks soon I'm worried I'll abandon it. Hopefully Wiper's excellent post above will help me make some inroads. 

I think I spent 40mins in one game on Act I mission 3 last night getting nowhere (just at stalemate the whole time) and then got bored and basically tried to just take out the stronghold and then died. I should have remembered that I really don't like turn based strategy games like this.

I'm also not sold at all on the pixel art, I can't for the life of me actually make out what units are denoted in the info screen with regards to which things a unit is better/worse against.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 2

23 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

I think I spent 40mins in one game on Act I mission 3 last night getting nowhere (just at stalemate the whole time) and then got bored and basically tried to just take out the stronghold and then died. I should have remembered that I really don't like turn based strategy games like this.

I'm also not sold at all on the pixel art, I can't for the life of me actually make out what units are denoted in the info screen with regards to which things a unit is better/worse against.

Your second point is true. It's really hard to see what they mean. 

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

Not far into it but I think it ramps the difficulty/length of missions a bit too quickly.   I feel like I have to play and lose a level before I get the hang of what's going to happen (new enemy units arriving etc.) but if the level takes ages it's off-putting to start over.  Advance Wars levels seemed shorter and snappier unless I'm mis-remembering.

Some AW levels could really drag as well, I think. But perhaps only towards the end of the campaign. It is probably worse here.

One thing about this of course is that the commander's special moves aren't as significant as some of the ones in AW could be. Perhaps AW became too focused on them, but without that there's not the same potential for dramatic swings or quicker finishes.

1 minute ago, cohen205 said:

Sooooo... this isn't as good as everyone hoped?

Back to Resi 2 then....

Thread seems massively positive to me.

Quite a few grievances though.... The way people were bigging it up before the indie direct, I thought it was going to be the second coming. The thread seems to be full of 'good game, with annoyances' posts.

7 minutes ago, cohen205 said:

Sooooo... this isn't as good as everyone hoped?

Back to Resi 2 then....

No it's superb, all issues raised are perfectly valid criticisms, and importantly things which could be addressed, don't let it put you off what is a very good game.

• Upvote 3

See also, for example, the criticisms levelled at Resi 2 for dropping the original's interactions between playthroughs, having a notably weaker route B, and having the tyrant break game logic and teleport around to achieve cheap jump scares. All valid criticisms, none of which stop that game being great.

• Upvote 3

Reviewers mentioning the length of games worries me (40 minutes+ ?). I don't mind games being hard, but hard and long can be frustrating. Worse was the mention in one review that the game can change mid way (i.e. some event happening) and that this can screw you if you were not expecting it. Maybe I'm spoilt by the face pace and "reset" mechanic of Into the Breach. Although very challenging, I always felt that Into the Breach encourages daring and exciting play. 40 minute games that can be ended by some game changing event that I didn't know about sounds annoying.

48 minutes ago, Soi said:

Reviewers mentioning the length of games worries me (40 minutes+ ?). I don't mind games being hard, but hard and long can be frustrating. Worse was the mention in one review that the game can change mid way (i.e. some event happening) and that this can screw you if you were not expecting it. Maybe I'm spoilt by the face pace and "reset" mechanic of Into the Breach. Although very challenging, I always felt that Into the Breach encourages daring and exciting play. 40 minute games that can be ended by some game changing event that I didn't know about sounds annoying.

I wouldn't focus on the length. One of my failures yesterday came in turn 6. I have been swamped unexpectedly by an "event" once so far, and I think it was in turn 10 or 11. Most importantly, it was pretty much my own fault for ignoring the warning I was given by Emeric right before it happened. I'm under no illusions that I probably should have survived that particular mission the first time, and the failure was down to my own actions.

2 hours ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

Does anyone have tips for People who are terrible at these games? I'm struggling in the first mission with a stronghold against Ragna!!!

Ignore rankings, they don't seem to mean anything. Spend longer getting your troops into position, even if that means waiting sometimes. Whatever you do, don't make the mistake of thinking your commander is a win button, because the entire world will attack them if they get the chance!

What I learned yesterday was basically to play slower!

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

Whatever you do, don't make the mistake of thinking your commander is a win button, because the entire world will attack them if they get the chance!

And at the same time, as I alluded to in my previous post, bear in mind that this irresistability to the enemy is useful for drawing them out. Can't get close to the enemy cavalry with your pikemen? Stick your commander in range of both and the cavalry will come to you! Wagons make good lures too, as the enemy likes attacking things that can't fight back, while the wagon's speed and surprising durability means they can distract most enemies then safely flee.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, sandman said:

Well, this is fantastic. It plays like a dream.

I fully expect it to be in my 2019 top 3 at the end of the year

It's excellent isn't it, the engine is solid with great AI.

7 hours ago, mdn2 said:

I can imagine touch screen could get quite fiddly when you have a lot of units in close proximity to one another. 

7 hours ago, Chooch said:

Nah - its just not suited to the game.  In theory it sounds perfect but not in reality.   No point wasting time on it. 

7 hours ago, JPickford said:

Capacitive screens are shit for the precision needed here.

6 hours ago, deKay said:

I'm really surprised anyone would want it.

Well it worked perfectly for Lost Frontier on my ipad/iphone.

Works fine with FFT on phone too along with countless other strategy games, I mean I'm not suggesting they replace manual controls but the option to use both would be nice.

7 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Well it worked perfectly for Lost Frontier on my ipad/iphone.

How well does it work for Wargroove on an iPad/iPhone?

• Downvote 2

For people struggling (if you don't want to just toggle the difficulty/damage stuff) - overall, to win battles you need to be using up their resources more than they are using up yours. I'd say don't worry too much about getting your commander hit, as they regen health (it's a resource you get for free). Generally, try to kill units in ways that don't cost you health/units - if you can get a front line of spearmen engaging enemies with ranged units behind, that's ideal. Unit-wise, I think the cheapy ones (100, 150 cost) are disproportionately worth it, even if just for slowing enemies down so you can engage them with better units you want to fight with. This could be wrong but I don't use dogs much. Wagons/transports are really useful, partly because their ridiculous range can compensate for low-movement infantry, and partly because they've got good defence and they draw enemy attacks. You can often put them in harm's way, take two hits, then withdraw and reinforce them. Exploit chokepoints ruthlessly. Also, capping buildings is good whenever you can, because enemies seem to prioritise them, so it'll often use up two of their units' attacks trying to get them instead of attacking any of your units. As soon as you can afford and protect trebuchets they're good for controlling an area (and dealing with big units like commanders and giants).

I do think the early level where you get a limited number of units and don't get a base (where you have to get to different ponds) is badly balanced and boring (incentivises super-cautious play) so I can understand if people are struggling with that one.

• Upvote 2

Apparently one of the Chucklefish developers posts on ResetEra and has said the game broke even over the weekend and is now in profit. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, panda_t said:

You can often put them in harm's way, take two hits, then withdraw and reinforce them.

I've found reinforcing in general to be very powerful so far in this game.

• Upvote 1

I'm happy to read the reactions of everyone on here. I'm going to hold off until those UI changes are worked on, as there's some stuff in there that I feel is pretty vital to the way I play TBS games.

19 minutes ago, Pixelbark said:

I'm happy to read the reactions of everyone on here. I'm going to hold off until those UI changes are worked on, as there's some stuff in there that I feel is pretty vital to the way I play TBS games.

What are your concerns?

15 hours ago, mdn2 said:

Apparently one of the Chucklefish developers posts on ResetEra and has said the game broke even over the weekend and is now in profit. 

That is great news, and hopefully Intelligent Systems and Nintendo are paying attention.

I gave the game a first go last night, getting to the start of Act 2. I was a bit concerned about the doubts people have had on here, but I thought that it played fantastically well - a cracking bargain for under £20 on release. It is not Advance Wars. But then again, even AW's sequels have failed to recreate the first game's perfect balance so we may need to accept that it will forever be the genre's pinnacle. But the core mechanics seem sound and the battles so far have felt an appropriate length.

30 minutes ago, friedgold said:

'End Turn' has to be moved. That's literally all I'd like to see in a forthcoming patch, at least at the moment.

Yep, I have lost count how many times I have clicked an open space, pressed up and THEN realised I was on "End Turn " to begin with :p
I've turned on the auto end turn thing once all moves are done for now.

As for the game, I'm not sure about it yet, it plays well but not too keen on the medieval setting and I am struggling to get used to the units in comparison to those of AW, I may be in the minority, but I've never disliked any of those, even the last one on DS, Days of Ruin.

Do any units in this have a decent movement range eventually? I've just received the trebuchet's on Act 2 - 3.

Will keep playing, hopefully it will click properly :)