rllmuk
mdn2

Wargroove - Medieval Advance Wars. Out Now on Switch/PC/Xbox One. £15.99

22 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

Am I missing a deal. I can only see Wargroove for 16 quid and Into the Breach for 12. Very confused.

Ah just seen what Stanley has posted.

Oh, maybe. Into the Breach was about £4 recently.

27 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

Alternatively, I can't think of two games that are worth their asking price more than these two. £11.39 for Into the Breach and £15.99 for this? They're both incredible value for money.

Actually, add Hollow Knight to that list. 

Yeah, and not just in terms of quality: Wargroove is extremely generous, filled with lengthy single player modes to go through before you even touch the multiplayer and custom content.

Yeah, it's a shame it's a bit too late for that to be likely, it would be lovely on that machine, just as it's lovely on the Switch. I could probably last a little longer before having to rest my fingers from the weight compared to the Switch in handheld mode, too!

I've just reached Act 4, and have unlocked Puzzle Mode. The last mission of Act 3 was a doozy, very enjoyable - haven't quite figured out how scores are weighted though, as I only managed an A, and I can't tell if it was that I was too slow, took too many losses (5 units, a bit higher than average), or if I should have stood and fought more of the enemy rather than rushing to the end.

Does this make your brain hurt as much as Into the Breach? I loved the game, but it was hard work playing it at the end of a long day, which is when the majority of my gaming time takes place.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

1 minute ago, Jamie John said:

Does this make your brain hurt as much as Into the Breach? I loved the game, but it was hard work playing it at the end of a long day, which is when the majority of my gaming time takes place.

Not really. Battles are long and don't rest on single moves or turns as much. You have to strategise but it's more relaxed.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

I was just about to post something similar. Only just started playing into the breach and so far I can see why it gets good reviews.... But bloody hell it's unforgiving. 

It's enjoyable so far but it's a bit of a step behind some of the classics - atleast on the main campaign. Story is just generic kid friendly fantasy; it has some charm but not quite enough to warrent it a pass. Mission wise it just feels so linear, no troop choices to start with, no out of mission decisions and no levelling or carryover (which has pros and cons). Feels like if I play safe and grind it out I'll always win which is a bit of a shame.

It is beautiful and the core mechanics aren't bad... Hopefully the arcade mode will suit me better.

I still don't regret buying this; even if it doesn't get much better it's still worth to support for the potential of a sequal or updates down the line.

It's easy to get drawn into a long grind to victory the first time you do a campaign mission and don't know what's coming. And so far I've not had a situation that I couldn't slowly build my way out of. Sometimes I'd have been better off quitting and starting again to save time.

This is so good and is pretty much just what I expected but with a few unexpected twists on the AW formula. I hope it sells like hot cakes and Nintendo take notice.

• Upvote 1

I’ve only played through the tutorial missions but this would appear to be excellent to me. Charming, beautiful and fun.

I went for the PC version because I thought mouse control would be a boon, then proceeded to play it on a PS4 pad.

6 hours ago, hellcock junior said:

It's enjoyable so far but it's a bit of a step behind some of the classics - atleast on the main campaign. Story is just generic kid friendly fantasy; it has some charm but not quite enough to warrent it a pass. Mission wise it just feels so linear, no troop choices to start with, no out of mission decisions and no levelling or carryover (which has pros and cons). Feels like if I play safe and grind it out I'll always win which is a bit of a shame.

That's more or less the opposite of what I've found (well, aside from the lack of initial troop choices/strategy-layer/levelling etc., but that's very much what was advertised and what I wanted from the game - and is why I got a bit miffed at reviews describing it as a cross between Fire Emblem and Advance Wars, when the game is pure Advance Wars in base design).

I've actually been pleasantly surprised by how much the game is willing to mix with the standard formula, force the player into non-turtle-based play. Timer-based survival missions, escape runs, maps with no ability to build, arena battles - the mixup has been welcome (and pleasingly successful - no disappointments like the old C&C commando missions). I've just reached the end of Act V, and honestly I'm finding this at least as enjoyable a campaign as that of Advance Wars, just reliable fun from start to finish. This also means that the story is at least as throwaway, and characters at least as enjoyable, which is just the light and breezy fun I was after.

(after a few more missions, I'm also pretty confident that S-ranks are determined primarily be speed, in those mission types where that's a factor; those missions where I've pressed forward and sacrificed a few units for the quick finish have always come up S, unlike those where I held back a few turns to avoid losses)

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, hellcock junior said:

Feels like if I play safe and grind it out I'll always win which is a bit of a shame.

That may be but you won't be getting S-ranks that way.

Act 2 Mission 2 had me demoralised, it seemed that no matter what I tried there was just an infinite stream of giant trees and archers, and a complete inability to keep my dogs alive, or any town captured. I must have played it 5 times today, but just finally beat it with a D ranking. I still don't know if this is worth striving to improve, but I don't even see how I could at this point!

It's clearly a very good game, but I do wonder if there's something that I'm missing. You all seem to be sailing through so quickly, how come I met such a wall so soon into the game?

1 hour ago, CheekyLee said:

Act 2 Mission 2 had me demoralised, it seemed that no matter what I tried there was just an infinite stream of giant trees and archers, and a complete inability to keep my dogs alive, or any town captured. I must have played it 5 times today, but just finally beat it with a D ranking. I still don't know if this is worth striving to improve, but I don't even see how I could at this point!

It's clearly a very good game, but I do wonder if there's something that I'm missing. You all seem to be sailing through so quickly, how come I met such a wall so soon into the game?

Second point first, as I appreciate how demoralising that must seem - practice. In my case I've been playing turn-based strategy games since the '90s, and have completed every Advance Wars (and every XCOM, handheld Fire Emblem, Shining Force, Tactics Ogre...) - I've been doing it long enough that I've adapted to them pretty thoroughly - particularly when it's a game like this, following an established formula. I can see the patterns, understand the appropriate counters, and know how to work the AI. If you'd seen me on my first run-through of Advance Wars way back when, I can guarantee it wasn't nearly as plain sailing.

As for that specific mission; it's an early fog of war one, and those tend to be the trickiest, as planning ahead is challenging and you have to maintain a good visual network to be able to do well. One thing I will note - gaining and losing villages isn't necessarily a bad thing; in fact, it's often a viable tactice to use villages to bait the AI, allowing them to waste time and resources on a village before counterattacking them into oblivion, so don't feel too bad about a back and forth dance over them. Dog losses are more of a pain, but they are the hardest unit to keep alive - they have the lowest defence in the game, I believe, so if they aren't hitting first they're generally not going to survive, even while occupying mountains. They're your advance warning system, but they won't last if left unguarded; usually their speed will help them get away, but the giants will outpace them. I'm fairly certain I lost a few in that mission.

The opening dialogue should give you some idea of the core tactics you want in the mission - making use of scout units (dogs) and mountains so you can see the enemy before they get in range, and use the trebuchets to deal with the giants before they reach your units.

Deal with your sight first - you need to be able to see the enemy in advance, or they'll get into your lines before you can react. Once you've got an idea of where the enemy is, consider how they can approach - forests and particularly mountains will slow their progress significantly, so make good cover for your trebuchets; positioning them with mountains and/or forests a couple of tiles away from them, between them and the enemy, should ensure they can fire on the enemy in safety, before your melee units close for the kill. IIRC, this makes the North pass a safer approach, as it's more broken up by difficult terrain; just make sure you scout it properly before committing your trebuchets!

Also don't be shy about committing your commander; he's not as sturdy as the Queen, but he still outclasses any standard enemy, and as a commander his slow, gradual heal gives him a bit of lasting power that other units lack. He's also the ideal softener for the villages along the way, assuming you don't want to wait for your artillery or archers to get there. Finally, he's a target enemies can't resist, so you can use him to draw them into the firing line of your trebuchets.

• Upvote 7

What’s next for Wargroove?

Tiy posted on February 3rd, 2019 in Dev Blog, Featured, News

First of all, I want to say how humbled and thankful we all are here at Chucklefish for the incredible launch weekend. It’s truly been amazing, we’ve already covered the cost of development and are throwing ourselves into improving the game further.

So what’s next for Wargroove?

Really Short Term

We already have the first post launch patch submitted andgoing through approval, this patch brings with it a number of bug fixes and other small improvements that we weren’t able to fix in time for release.

Fix bug that caused online multiplayer maps against AI to sometimes go into a broken state.

Fix bug that caused spectating online on Fog of War maps to not work correctly.

Fix bug that caused issues around resigning on matches.

Fix the display of some Japanese and Chinese characters.

Short Term 

We’re working on a number of quality of life fixes and hope to get them to you asap. It takes a little while to submit a patch on console, but we’ll try to get things done as quickly as possible.

Some of those quality of life improvements will include:

The ability to skip battle scenes more quickly. With various options on how this will work.

The ability to force fast map movement to ‘always on’.

Tooltips and more info for the effective/vulnerable charts.

In multiplayer, the host will be able to fill open spots with CPU players.

Display S rank requirements. (Tip for now, it’s always based on number of turns.)

Make it more difficult to accidentally end a turn.

Multiplayer Lobby improvements

Various bug fixes

Long Term 

As we continue to update the game and address user feedback, we’re also looking into a larger content update, DLC and more. More info on this at a later date. But I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

One more thing 

We love feedback and we’re constantly checking reddit, discord, the forums, twitter, etc. So keep it coming.

We’d like to know how you feel about the difficulty of the game, and should you be able to earn 3 stars at lower difficulty settings?

Let us know what you think!

Thanks again for the amazing launch support and we hope you enjoy the game!

← Wargroove is out now!

https://wargroove.com/whats-next-for-wargroove/

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

I'm really surprised there's no touch screen support at all.

Because its crap and everyone used the dpad in Advance Wars anyway.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Chooch said:

Because its crap and everyone used the dpad in Advance Wars anyway.

It's only bad if it's badly implemented, it should be there.

2 minutes ago, Stanley said:

It's only bad if it's badly implemented, it should be there.

Nah - its just not suited to the game.  In theory it sounds perfect but not in reality.   No point wasting time on it. 

Just now, Chooch said:

Nah - its just not suited to the game.  In theory it sounds perfect but not in reality.   No point wasting time on it. 

I just don't agree. I used a combination of touch and manual controls in Advance Wars on the DS and it worked well, things like dragging the cursor around are much easier. 

2 hours ago, Stanley said:

I'm really surprised there's no touch screen support at all.

I'm really surprised anyone would want it.

10 hours ago, CheekyLee said:

I'm in exactly the same boat as you! Feeling a bit overwhelmed which is taking the shine off the game to be honest. Unfortunately, I have the patience of a three year old so unless it clicks soon I'm worried I'll abandon it. Hopefully Wiper's excellent post above will help me make some inroads. 

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

I just don't agree. I used a combination of touch and manual controls in Advance Wars on the DS and it worked well, things like dragging the cursor around are much easier. 

It worked capably well on DS because of the stylus - if I'd had to control that game with your digits instead it would have been a pretty shit experience.* I suppose Wargroove could aim for pinch-zoom controls to get around that, but honestly every turn-based strategy game I've played with a capacitive screen I've ended up yearning for cursor controls pretty swiftly; I'm sort of surprised the game doesn't offer it as an option as I wouldn't have expected it to have been a huge leap to implement compared to the mouse controls that PC users get, but it's not something I missed even once (to the point that I actually assumed that it was an option, but never tried in the first place).

Maybe I just have fat fingers.