rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
mdn2

Wargroove - Medieval Advance Wars. Out Now on Switch/PC/Xbox One. £15.99

4 minutes ago, iknowgungfu said:

This or into the breach? I am tempted to go with wargroove. I know they are different beasts but I tend to only play one main game at a time. 

Into the Breach is wonderful. One of the best games of last year, and an absolute must-play. It’s also unlike anything else really, it’s its own game entirely. It plays more like a strategy/puzzle game than an Advance Wars clone.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, iknowgungfu said:

This or into the breach? I am tempted to go with wargroove. I know they are different beasts but I tend to only play one main game at a time. 

You can get both for £20. 

Into the Breach is unique, super smart and addictive. It's also pretty hard. Play it on easy to start with. 

Wargroove semes great too. 

• Upvote 5

I like this. I like it but... am not sure I love it. I think the length of games, the balance can lead to long drawn out battles. 

Into the Breach night have spoiled me. This is still very good. Need more time with it. 

48 minutes ago, iknowgungfu said:

Has Wargroove crashed the eshop then?

Seems like it - just get a server side error code when I try to unlock my preorder.

I've played a bit through the campaign - just passed the woods, so maybe six, seven missions in? No real challenges so far, but then years of Advance Wars will do that to a person. That said, I'm happy to note that the game doesn't feel a pure carbon copy of AW: the AI seems to prioritise a little differently, and the critical hits add a lot more to consider, and I'm having a great time.

As was obvious from the very first trailer, the game is brimming with personality and cheer, and in that respect captures the heart of Advance Wars perfectly; it plays a solid puzzle-strategy game without ever feeling dry, and that's more than enough to carry the game for me. And being able to just slot it in and play on the big screen is icing on the cake. Loving it. I might even double-dip and get the PC/XBone version; if cross-saves were a thing to the Switch I would have done so already. I'll see how much I enjoy the creation side of the game once I've finished the campaign, I think, then decide if it's worth buying a version with mouse support.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, MattKB said:

I like this. I like it but... am not sure I love it. I think the length of games, the balance can lead to long drawn out battles. 

Into the Breach night have spoiled me. This is still very good. Need more time with it. 

I feel like this too. It's very enjoyable to play, but now I'm more used to the knife edge tension that tends to come with the genre these days. Seems like we've moved on a bit.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, deKay said:

I've not paid for any games so far in 2019.

This sounds like the same kind of suspect caveat I instituted when I decided to give up eating sweet things, but pastries were still ok, which included donuts. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Popo said:

This sounds like the same kind of suspect caveat I instituted when I decided to give up eating sweet things, but pastries were still ok, which included donuts. 

Well I ain't gon turn down free

3 minutes ago, deKay said:

Well I ain't gon turn down free

Haha, well quite. I think I just wanted to enjoy the memory of one of the least binding self-imposed rules I ever gave myself. I think it only lasted a few months before I ate a Mars bar, too. 

Although, don’t you find that free or next-to-free games get played the least? I definitely do. I tend to feel like I’ve got no skin in it and the motivation to pick it up and play just isn’t there. 

Anyway, sorry to de-rail this very fine Warfroove thread, as you were. 

• Upvote 1

This is brilliant. Took me 6 or 7 attempts at level 2.3 before finally cracking it. It can be brutal if you slip up for a moment. Loving the wagons to shift units into battle.

• Upvote 1

Not impressive for most, but I was happy with this :)

Mission 4

Spoiler

vicotry.thumb.jpg.2f73138b4ef1c882dca9b397f779140e.jpg

Felt I only lost units I had no choice but to sacrifice. Rather than losing them because I suck. 

• Upvote 2

Yeah, this is pretty much my ideal game. I'm only halfway through Act 2 at the minute and I've been getting mostly B's (one C on the Fog of War map) but I'm already planning alternate routes through each map in the hope of improvement. 

Love it. :wub:

• Upvote 2

Managed to S-Rank a mission by using the old tree bloke's groove to trap the opposing commander in a corner. Promptly set about kicking the living shit out of him, I did.

Have a feeling this game will keep me well occupied over the spring festival holiday. 

As expected, this is excellent. As also expected, I'm really bad at it. Is there any benefit to 3-starring or S-ranking missions?

I literally just failed in Mission 4 because the whole world attacked Mercia in what would have been their last turn if she'd survived. That seemed a touch unfair.

Up to act 3 now and the battles are getting long. Just did a side mission that took over an hour, even with the animations turned off. My ranks have also started to vary dramatically, all the way down to D in one case.

Still haven't unlocked puzzle mode. Looking forward to trying that.

Alternatively, I can't think of two games that are worth their asking price more than these two. £11.39 for Into the Breach and £15.99 for this? They're both incredible value for money.

Actually, add Hollow Knight to that list. 

• Upvote 4