rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
mdn2

Wargroove - Medieval Advance Wars. Out Now on Switch/PC/Xbox One. £15.99

7 hours ago, McCoy said:

Maybe a formal concession option. It's a fair point about putting in another half an hour just so your opponant can completely obliterate you if the only other option is a rather unsporting quitting. 

This type of game is worse than most if you are being thrashed out of sight.  If you are 10-0 down in a game of Fifa, you can still participate until the final whistle as much as your opponent.  In a race, you can still drive to the finish line.  In turn-based strategy, it takes a second or two to move your couple of units and then you can wait for ages while your opponent brings his dozens of tanks into the battle.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BossSaru said:

The only way that this game could get more hype is if it featured a fight between the Clegane brothers.

Thanks for the backbone of my first Custom Campaign :lol:

2 minutes ago, Nequests said:

Reviews must be coming out. This just popped up.

Yeah, just posted some in the Switch thread.

Spoiler

It's good

• Upvote 3

Eurogamer review is up.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-01-30-wargroove-review-a-forensic-recreation-of-some-all-time-classics

It’s positive but not too positive.

I like WarGroove but I don't love it

This part was the bit I’ve been concerned about.

The cursor in WarGroove is just a cursor - and sometimes a slightly fiddly one, too. WarGroove is very clever on the battlefield, but it isn't as interested in the feel of things as I suspect it should be.

*sigh* What doesn’t get mentioned too often is how important the UI is to Advance Wars. It’s just so satisfying to just do stuff in AW. Simply loading and unloading a troop transporter feels tactile and chunky. Even the movement of the cursor has heft. It just feels good to play with.

If WG hasn’t got that right it’ll never quite scratch that AW itch.

I’ll still end up buying it, obviously.

• Upvote 5

Personality is a big part of AW's success, so that is a bit worrying. But at the same time I found that review a bit odd in its incessant dredging up of Fire Emblem despite never drawing any actual links to it besides "having a fantasy setting". As a fan of both AW and (the old) FE, the two are wildly different series in mechanics, structure and mood, and everything described in the review (and everything we've seen in previews and footage) solely evokes Advance Wars, so it just felt like a weird thing to go back to time and time again. Either the reviewer has never played an FE game (in which case that was an unwise comparison to make), or they have perceived FE in a very different way to me (in which case I can't trust I'll share their perception of WG).

1 hour ago, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

sigh* What doesn’t get mentioned too often is how important the UI is to Advance Wars. It’s just so satisfying to just do stuff in AW. Simply loading and unloading a troop transporter feels tactile and chunky. Even the movement of the cursor has heft. It just feels good to play with.

This is so spot on. Using the UI was fun. [select unit] THUNK THUNK THUNK - [hmmm, commit?] - COMMIT! 

That and Advance Wars was the definition of 'less is more'. Few, units, but perfect units.

I worry they kept delaying this to throw more in, not polish what was there.

But yeah, I'll get it to.

• Upvote 2