CovisGod

My Time At Portia

Sounds great, but also sounds like it's lifted everything from Stardew Valley. I mean, clearly Stardew lifted most of what it had from Harvest Moon anyway, but the choice between two rival factions that sound incompatible just echoed the JoJa Mart mechanic to me (and that wasn't the best aspect of SV by a long shot, IMO).

Looks really lovely though, and definitely one for my wishlist. I love HM-style games, but also find I need a long break between them to stop burning out on them.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MarkN said:

Sounds great, but also sounds like it's lifted everything from Stardew Valley. I mean, clearly Stardew lifted most of what it had from Harvest Moon anyway, but the choice between two rival factions that sound incompatible just echoed the JoJa Mart mechanic to me (and that wasn't the best aspect of SV by a long shot, IMO).

See Harvest Moon: Tale of Two Towns for where it was done first.  Also lots of looming capitalist threats like theme parks in the earlier ones.

Just now, Rob Rule said:

See Harvest Moon: Tale of Two Towns for where it was done first.  

Haha - I suspected that would happen. I've played a fair few HM games, but by no means all. It's a fair cop.

Been playing a bunch, really enjoying it but I don't think it should've come out of early access yet to be honest. A bit rough around the edges especially in respect to audio (missing VO and misspelled subtitles, low quality sound effects) and the 4 hotfix patches they've put out since 'release', while commendable, suggests it should've been given a bit more time to cook. There's a good game here though and the developers seem committed to sorting things, so here's hoping!

I played the demo briefly yesterday - just the first couple of days - and already I can feel my resolve to wait a while weakening. The demo seems a bit shonky, and it runs quite poorly on my aging PC (I've needed a new gfx card for ages now), but I really like the look of it, and the gameplay seems right up my street (probably in a slightly exploitative "itches to scratch" kind of way (I couldn't help but try to fix the cracks in the floor of my house on the 2nd day because holes need fixing goddammit! Must set things straight!).

Definitely a case of when, not if.

• Upvote 1

This is absolutley brilliant, anybody that enjoyed Stardew Valley, Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing, Dragon Quest Builders.... This is the game for you, 

The amount of stuff to do is amazing, I'm calling it now, this will be in my Top 5 games of this year

• Upvote 2

I’m really hoping we’ll see the Switch version this year, I tend to prefer these kind of games on handheld/portable devices.

can’t wait to play this!

1 hour ago, Rayn said:

I’m really hoping we’ll see the Switch version this year, I tend to prefer these kind of games on handheld/portable devices.

can’t wait to play this!

Yeah I'm playing it on my GPD Win 2 and it really does lend itself to handheld play. It's one of them that you think just one more day and before you realised 8 hours have passed and you're late for work :lol:

Switch version due in the Spring, was speaking to someone working on the game this morning 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, CovisGod said:

Yeah I'm playing it on my GPD Win 2 and it really does lend itself to handheld play. It's one of them that you think just one more day and before you realised 8 hours have passed and you're late for work :lol:

Switch version due in the Spring, was speaking to someone working on the game this morning 

Yeah. I booted up Stardew Valley on Switch during the christmas holidays and couldn't get into my old save which had 35 hours on record. I decided to start a new save and before I knew it I was hooked in a way that rarely happens. Now, some odd 5 weeks later I'm still playing daily and my savefile now states 140 hours on record. I really struggle to put it down at times and I've had many a sleepless night because of it. Cracking stuff. If My Time at Portia is only half as good as Stardew, I'll still get loads of hours out of it. 

Edit: How does it run on the GDP Win 2 btw?

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Rayn said:

Yeah. I booted up Stardew Valley on Switch during the christmas holidays and couldn't get into my old save which had 35 hours on record. I decided to start a new save and before I knew it I was hooked in a way that rarely happens. Now, some odd 5 weeks later I'm still playing daily and my savefile now states 140 hours on record. I really struggle to put it down at times and I've had many a sleepless night because of it. Cracking stuff. If My Time at Portia is only half as good as Stardew, I'll still get loads of hours out of it. 

Edit: How does it run on the GDP Win 2 btw?

It actually runs really well, got it on medium settings and it's running lovely. 

I was arguably Stardews biggest fan, played hundreds of hours across PC and Switch and honestly? Portia is miles better, there so much to do, 

I've been watching a YouTuber thats been playing since it was in its Alpha phase and then started again a couple of weeks ago when it released, my god, how she's got her house and farm looking is incredible, it just makes me strive to keep playing as that's where I want to be. 

I wish there was more people here playing so we could get a bit of a community going, 

I'm calling it now, when this drops on Switch people will be going mad over it, not been this addicted to a game since AC New Leaf

10 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

Portia is miles better

Quite the claim there!

I bought this when it first came out in early access but ended up refunding because it was so far from being finished. Really tempted to try it again now!

19 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

I wish there was more people here playing so we could get a bit of a community going, 

I'm calling it now, when this drops on Switch people will be going mad over it, not been this addicted to a game since AC New Leaf

I honestly want to play this asap, but I’ve got some stuff to do in Stardew still. If the Switch version is just around the corner when I’m ready I might wait it out.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, spork said:

Quite the claim there!

And I'm saying that as a massive Stardew fan. I loved everything about Stardew but sort of 3 years in I hit a wall where I'd made so much money that I didn't have to plant anymore and didn't really have much left to do, 

I know I'm only just scraping the surface of Portia but it seems that even long into the game there is still an absolute mountain of stuff to do and upgrade

Just as an example I spent last night building bus terminals, there's one right outside my house so rather than tredging across the map every time I can catch a bus and fast travel to where I need to be, another thing I like is that the days genuinely feel long enough to do what you need to do that day, you pass out at 3am but you don't lose anything by doing that, so every day I keep plugging away until 3 and then waking back up in my bed the following day. 

• Upvote 2

Alright! Happy now?:

purchase01.jpg.c83ac28ca7cf040bbbb6dbb52a46ff22.jpg

I did mean to hold off for a while, but I'd played 4 hours of the demo, and wanted to carry on, and guessed the save wouldn't carry over, and knew I could do things better anyway...

• Upvote 3

I keep hearing the game has gamebreaking bugs, stuff that prevents actual progression. I hate stuff like that, so I'm going to wait for a while. Hopefully everything will be fine and dandy when it's released for consoles. 

4 hours ago, Rayn said:

I keep hearing the game has gamebreaking bugs, stuff that prevents actual progression. I hate stuff like that, so I'm going to wait for a while. Hopefully everything will be fine and dandy when it's released for consoles. 

Not come across anything like that and I'm 50 hours in, there's plenty of people that have racked up hundreds of hours without issue. Was speaking to someone last night who's played for 883 hours :o

They seem quite quick to fix things with patches, especially now the full release is out

I noticed a hot fix to address some stuff. Just bought this on steam for 17 quid, will get stuck in after the gym. Will make a great contrast to resi evil 

19 minutes ago, carlospie said:

I noticed a hot fix to address some stuff. Just bought this on steam for 17 quid, will get stuck in after the gym. Will make a great contrast to resi evil 

How did you get it for 17? Listed as 24.99 for me! CDKeys has it for 18.99.

4 hours ago, carlospie said:

Does this have pad support? 

It does, but it's a bit of a dog's breakfast. I'm using the pad to play, but drop back to keyboard for some things (there may be simple button presses for them, but the game doesn't tell you).  So I use the number keys to select what I'm wielding, and to get to the inventory etc. (Using left and right on the D-Pad to select what you want to build at the Assembly Station just smacks of absolute desperation - "what haven't we used yet?")

That said, I'm loving it still. I'm getting back to where I was in the demo - got most of the crafting machines needed for the bridge done, will get my axe upgrade tomorrow, and then I can push forward. I've done a few extra commissions on the side too, so am in a much better position than I was.

Holy shit this game. I didn't get on with Stardew Valley but this is pushing all my buttons. I started playing and now it's four hours later and I need to go to bed.

• Upvote 2