IGNORED

With a few minor changes, Hitman would be one of the biggest series in gaming

Timmo

So true about the spy thing. However although the bodycount is low, Hitman is still very violent because of the cold-blooded murders that do take place. The actual hits are the money shots of the Hitman series and I don't think a Bond-type spy game would work tonally with those as the focus. If the mission objectives were more traditionally spy-like - steal, photograph, eavesdrop etc - I think you'd be missing a crucial element.

However I definitely think there's a huge gap in the market for a spy game that uses similar gameplay elements to Hitman. Observation, planning, subterfuge, social stealth etc.

Also, I think the reason it's not a bigger hit is the same reason that Dishonored 2 etc failed to set the world alight. People just don't tend to buy complicated, demanding and focused single-player games like this these days. The idea of replaying a mission over and over to understand how to do it 'properly' just doesn't appeal unfortunately. Of course, it's also had big issues with release confusion and getting swamped in the Christmas rush.

14 minutes ago, Pob said:

So true about the spy thing. However although the bodycount is low, Hitman is still very violent because of the cold-blooded murders that do take place. The actual hits are the money shots of the Hitman series and I don't think a Bond-type spy game would work tonally with those as the focus. If the mission objectives were more traditionally spy-like - steal, photograph, eavesdrop etc - I think you'd be missing a crucial element.

However I definitely think there's a huge gap in the market for a spy game that uses similar gameplay elements to Hitman. Observation, planning, subterfuge, social stealth etc.

Also, I think the reason it's not a bigger hit is the same reason that Dishonored 2 etc failed to set the world alight. People just don't tend to buy complicated, demanding and focused single-player games like this these days. The idea of replaying a mission over and over to understand how to do it 'properly' just doesn't appeal unfortunately. Of course, it's also had big issues with release confusion and getting swamped in the Christmas rush.

I read that there was a transition from popularity from spies to superheroes around the turn of the century, which perhaps explains the lack of spy games in recent years. I'd agree there's a huge gap in the market, though. It's never going to stop being incredibly cool.

Good points, though, and I do think the single player game (without massive, featureless open world) is in danger.

Agent 47 is fucking brilliant. You nutter! :lol:

Agreed on the spy element. The game should do more to make you "care" about why you're doing it. This is why the original Hitman 2 is still the one I have the fondest memories of. 

The Mafia 3 guys were gearing up to make a wicked sounding spy game before it all got knocked on the head:

This new IP would become Rhapsody, a game about subterfuge in 1980s Berlin. You’d play as a Russian Jew whose parents had been murdered in a Soviet labor camp. He’d be rescued by Americans, then recruited to join a spy organization called Rhapsody. “It was hitting a lot of the beats we were good at,” said one person on the project. Like Mafia III, this game would put you in the shoes of someone who was treated as subhuman by the people around him and thought largely in terms of vengeance. “He’s doing missions, trying to save the world and get revenge on whoever killed his parents, trying to decide between the personal good and the public good.”

“Mafia IV was a great thing, it’s exciting. But we’ve always wanted to do our own IP.”

One source compared it to the spy movie Kingsman, “without the really goofy shit.” You’d equip a variety of gadgets and sneak around Berlin, spying on enemies and doing all sorts of missions for your organization. Hangar 13 prototyped mechanics like a spy car, which you’d use to cross the border checkpoint between East and West Germany. Your inventory of items for any given mission might be limited to what you could smuggle in the car.

It’s easy to get wistful about games that may never happen, and it’s far simpler to dream up ideas than it is to implement them, but by all accounts the Hangar 13 team was ecstatic about Rhapsody. Even today, when people discuss the project, they sound fired up about how cool it might have been.

For some reason no one makes spy games with a decent budget anymore, apart from Ubisoft, whose entire lineup is vaguely spy-related - AC, Watch Dogs, R6, The Division, Ghost Recon and even Far Cry have elements of spy stuff. But no actual spy games like Splinter Cell.

I'd like to see Syphon Filter rebooted, also Microsoft should get Obsidian making Omega Directive ASAP.

15 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

So change the main character and the name and it'll be a big game series NOT called Hitman NOT starring Agent 47.

That's the crux of it. I think it'd have wider appeal. I'm not saying it'd be better, I just think it would be much more successful.

I have to agree with the OP's general sentiment, the character and general look of these games isn't very appealing, it needs a Hollywood makeover if they ever want to appeal to a bigger audience. The Fast and the Furious film series decoupled themselves from being about the underground racing scene and has morphed into a comic book action series involving vehicles and superhuman individuals, now way more popular than the original films ever were.

I think I've put about 5 minutes total into the series, despite owning a few of them. That scandinavian visual style does not do it for me whatsover. Not really a huge single player stealth game fan either TBH thinking about it, though co-op Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory will aways have a special place in my heart.

1 hour ago, Timmo said:

That's the crux of it. I think it'd have wider appeal. I'm not saying it'd be better, I just think it would be much more successful.

Just slap the James Bond license on it and have missions with all the variety of those in Hitman but themed around different Bond eras.

Then smugly tell everyone the real Hitman games are better so they buy them.