IGNORED

Splitting out posts from the Netflix megathread

Pob

Horses for courses some will like it & some will hate it.

I personally like it because it gives a film, tv series it’s own thread in which even if you come to it late you can go back and read members thoughts rather than having to trawl through a megathread to find the posts.

Thanks - I hate it.

Can I also suggest you simply rename the folder ‘Netflix’ as part of your essential works? As the front page will soon be made up of three post threads you’ve split out of the thread they actually belong in, it will make sense.

And then we can start a Film & TV folder for non-Netflix items.

I think there is a tipping point spot when something merits its own thread broken out from the mega thread, its probably more than only a couple of posts, I prefer the mega thread with something only broken out if there is sufficient discussion to merit it.

39 minutes ago, Gotters said:

I think there is a tipping point spot when something merits its own thread broken out from the mega thread, its probably more than only a couple of posts, I prefer the mega thread with something only broken out if there is sufficient discussion to merit it.

Agree a few posts is probably not enough, the difficulty with splitting out a thread much later is then having to possibly trawl back through pages to collect all the posts and decide on a post to become the thread starter & I inevitably miss a few like the Birdbox thread.

I also see Netflix not as a service but a source of entertainment just like cinema, satellite channels, amazon prime etc

I don’t expect to see all films lumped together into a cinema megathread so why should Netflix?

It made more sense when Netflix was just other studios old stuff and the thread was used for announcements of hey this film/show has been added. Now they make their own stuff makes much more sense for individual shows/films to have their own threads. Going by the logic of people with a stonk-on for mega threads then the front page of Film and TV should just look like this.

Netflix

Warner Bros

HBO

Disney

Amazon

Paramount

BBC

CW

16 minutes ago, Harsin said:

It made more sense when Netflix was just other studios old stuff and the thread was used for announcements of hey this film/show has been added. Now they make their own stuff makes much more sense for individual shows/films to have their own threads. Going by the logic of people with a stonk-on for mega threads then the front page of Film and TV should just look like this.

Netflix

Warner Bros

HBO

Disney

Amazon

Paramount

BBC

CW

We may as well only have four megathreads in gaming too:

Switch

PS4

XBOX

PC

I think the Netflix thread is fine for telling people when some classic movie is being added to the service, kind of like how people may post in the Switch OT when Nintendo add some old NES games. I don't think it serves its purpose when it comes to Netflix Originals.

38 minutes ago, Majora said:

I think the Netflix thread is fine for telling people when some classic movie is being added to the service, kind of like how people may post in the Switch OT when Nintendo add some old NES games. I don't think it serves its purpose when it comes to Netflix Originals.

Indeed. If its a new thing like Fyre then it deserves its own thread, less so if its hilariously awful 2001 slasher Valentine that I just watched this afternoon. 

1 hour ago, gospvg said:

Agree a few posts is probably not enough, the difficulty with splitting out a thread much later is then having to possibly trawl back through pages to collect all the posts and decide on a post to become the thread starter & I inevitably miss a few like the Birdbox thread.

I also see Netflix not as a service but a source of entertainment just like cinema, satellite channels, amazon prime etc

I don’t expect to see all films lumped together into a cinema megathread so why should Netflix?

Yeah. The Netflix mega thread is silly. It's like having a single thread for anything BBC 1 shows. 

I can totally see the appeal of the netflix thread, everyone there has bought into the netflix ecosystem and are on the same page. It's a nice little cosy club where you recommend stuff you've found and talk about the latest releases and you'll get to know the regular posters and find out who shares your taste and stuff.

Let's not forget that the de facto pc gaming thread on this forum is the "steam" thread.

They're all comparing specs at the minute, if you want to get in on the excitement.

Maybe there could be a happy medium where rather than splitting out the discussion to a new thread, it gets duplicated to a new thread so it also remains in the megathread and people in there can just carry on as normal but people who'd otherwise miss the discussion get to see it and read and contribute.

Me and neoelite and a few others were talking about bird box in another megathread, the "good new horror films" thread, so it was a surprise to see that other folk had been discussing it on here. It was interesting to see what they thought and I would have missed it otherwise.

11 hours ago, witchypoos said:

I can totally see the appeal of the netflix thread, everyone there has bought into the netflix ecosystem and are on the same page. It's a nice little cosy club where you recommend stuff you've found and talk about the latest releases and you'll get to know the regular posters and find out who shares your taste and stuff.

Let's not forget that the de facto pc gaming thread on this forum is the "steam" thread.

They're all comparing specs at the minute, if you want to get in on the excitement.

Maybe there could be a happy medium where rather than splitting out the discussion to a new thread, it gets duplicated to a new thread so it also remains in the megathread and people in there can just carry on as normal but people who'd otherwise miss the discussion get to see it and read and contribute.

This is an equally good way of doing it. 

That said I think the Steam thread is partially why PC gaming is so underrepresented here. A lot of PC discussion is confined to a little ghetto. 

I agree, I split out the Fyre thread too early but looking at it now it was the correct decision, dedicated threads bring the title to the attention of anyone browsing the subforum which can lead to more discussion.

The curator's group of volunteers was created by the committee to mainly look into the various mega threads and split out into new threads when possible. There are very few mega threads I read on a regular basis probably only the netflix/amazon prime in film tv & ps4 thread in gaming discussion.

Apologies if I've upset anyone & going forward I'll wait on 8 to 10 posts before splitting out from the mega threads.

Just now, Mr Cochese said:

No-one’s ever going to read those topics except for the circle jerk already going on in each of them. There may as well be a “I’ve bought into the Netflix ecosystem” t-shirt, whatever the hell that means.

But apparently that is how the regulars like their public house, a closet members only club. I tend to ignore the megathreads as their titles are so non-descript they don't seem worth bothering with, unless they keep on popping into view and I happen to be curious enough to click on it.

On 19 January 2019 at 15:23, Gambit said:

Indeed. If its a new thing like Fyre then it deserves its own thread, less so if its hilariously awful 2001 slasher Valentine that I just watched this afternoon. 

I went to the cinema with@dirkcrisis to see this. Worst Valentines date ever!