IGNORED

Fyre - The Greatest Party That Never Happened (Netflix)

deerokus

It’s a great documentary, but like when it was happening I find it really hard to have sympathy for the festival goers.  I know I should, but they all come across as such cunts.

I saw someone on twitter liken it to game dev and I can see it - the cult of personality, sidelining anyone who raises issues, “we’re focused on solutions”…

On the influencers stuff, have a read of this.  It all seems so crazy to me, that this is what some young people aspire to.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/12/influencers-are-faking-brand-deals/578401/ 

I thought it was a good doc of a great story.

As people have said its hard to root for the festival goers themselves as they all seem pretty vapid wannabees (which doesn't mean they deserve to be fleeced) - I think where the doc drops the ball slightly is in it doesn't really explain enough detail or set up what it is that ultimately gets the organiser bloke sent to jail, I know that isn't as sexy as model photo shoots but I'd have liked to see a bit more about that aspect of things.

I don't have much sympathy for the festival goers but I don't think the documentary took too much time to show us the variety of people who may have lost money.  Maybe they were all rich kids who don't really care about the money lost, you'd have to imagine in amongst the wealthy there might have been some normal people who thought it looked like a good festival (particularly at the initial prices of $500 for a weekend) for whom that was actually a lot of money for them. 

I mean for me $500 is a lot of money but equally I'm not much of a festival goer.  You look at Glastonbury prices and other festival prices and suddenly $500 does not seem so ridiculous that only the wealthy of the wealthy would even think about buying tickets. 

I found this really boring.
Maybe I just didn't care about any of the people or the things that happened so no matter how it was presented, I was still going to be bored.

Arsehole got arseholes to advertise festival for arseholes. All manner of arseholes lost money.
I couldn't even get my schadenfreude on, just totally indifferent to and unmoved by the whole situation.

The cafe owner and the entire population of the Bahamas being used, effectively, as slave labour just about stirred an emotion but they didn't spend very long on that, they seemed more interested in footage of Billy drinking beer in his hotel room at that point.

2 hours ago, witchypoos said:

I found this really boring.
Maybe I just didn't care about any of the people or the things that happened so no matter how it was presented, I was still going to be bored.

Arsehole got arseholes to advertise festival for arseholes. All manner of arseholes lost money.
I couldn't even get my schadenfreude on, just totally indifferent to and unmoved by the whole situation.

The cafe owner and the entire population of the Bahamas being used, effectively, as slave labour just about stirred an emotion but they didn't spend very long on that, they seemed more interested in footage of Billy drinking beer in his hotel room at that point.

Most people in the documentary are not that sympathetic.  I guess the interest for me is less about the people, because I agree with you, but more about how this massive festival turned into such a failure. The nuts and bolts stuff (which they could have delved into more) and just seeing all the expectation of the event just come completely crashing down. 

I guess I find this type of 'why did X fail' really interesting.  Channel 4 did a programme on Poundland last year and it was great seeing behind the scenes at why decisions were made and what was going wrong. If you are looking for a human angle it was never really going to tick your boxes, mainly because they didn't focus on the labour which didn't get paid enough to really understand those issues and it never gives you a real reason to care about the people organising the event or the people wealthy enough to attend. 

On 21/01/2019 at 07:56, linkster said:

The other - the other was an ‘internet influencer’ called Schmee. He was early middle aged, dressed very sports casual. He too seemed to know nothing, being shoehorned in at pre agreed scheduled interviews where he literally did nothing except drive a mclaren road car very slowly

I know this is a bit OT and should ne in the car thread, but Shmee is a complete knob. Maybe it's a class war thing and I don't like him because he was born into money and now has an ever-rotating collection of really expensive hypercars which seem to be the centrepiece of his channel. Mr JWW is another UK/London based rich dickhead.

That said, I find that YouTubers are slightly less inclined to refer to themselves as influencers in comparison to Instagram/Twitter people. But that might be down to the fact that most of my subscribed YT channels consist of stupid fake time travellers who influence no-one.

This is a compelling 90-minute argument for aliens to destroy the planet. Like Wayne's World with a bad ending, a relentless schadenfreude machine where you just have to laugh at the idiots organising this and the even bigger idiots who bought tickets, until the scale of exploitation of the locals (and the unpaid labour) is made clear and suddenly it stops being funny. Ja Rule seems like an aggressive, bullying dickhead.

On 21/01/2019 at 09:41, linkster said:

I get in arguments occasionally with the misses about first class on airplanes, for me it's like if you painted a square on the ground and charged people to get into it, it's no less absurd than a VIP tent at a festival - it's just the crazy idea that for a few fleeting hours that cubic foot of air becomes something transcendental that only money can gain you access to and somehow elevate you above others

I guess you're one of those annoying people that can sleep on planes!

Yeah he may not have been behind the money shenanigans but he added some legitimacy to the whole festival in the minds of some who booked tickets. "Oh Ja Rule's organising, seems legit" Definitely complicit to the highest degree. 

Also from reading about it a while back the majority of tickets that sold where around the $500 mark so not just typical dumb rich white kids. A lot of dumb poor white kids bought tickets too. I joke really, you don't have to be a numbskull to want to go to a festival on a tropical island for $500. Especially as Ja Rule has his name to it. I know when I'd fuck off up and down the country to Helter Skelter and your Fantazias and the like we did very little due diligence, especially if Carl Cox was on the card. 

But the bloke didn't get sent to jail for organising a rubbish festival, he went down for wire fraud and various corporate governance fraud in the US, plus a different false ticket selling scam in the US to events. 

I said it earlier, the festival is clearly the sexier story but they don't really pay much attention to what he eventually goes down for. 

20 hours ago, Fitzcarraldo said:

Ja Rule seems like an aggressive, bullying dickhead.

46 minutes ago, Shoes said:

I can't believe Ja Rule got off scot-free. Seemed like a total cunt.

In my gut I tend to agree with this, although I don’t recall any incidents of bullying. 

I tried to come up with things that could legitimately be laid at his door and came up with two. Firstly, he failed to show any oversight of what was a very high-risk enterprise - he had the position and authority to serve this purpose but was more interested in drinking and hanging out with rich, attractive people. He legitimised the endeavour by being a part of it but didn’t hold up his end of the bargain with due diligence. 

Seconly, he was the one leading the charge, after the festival collapsed completely, in attempting to distance himself and the other top organisers from their collective responsibility for what had happened, while other senior organisers were coming to terms with the moral and legal ramifications of what they had done. Weasel words, such as claimin they had presided over ‘false advertising’ (legally wrong) and that it wasn’t such a big problem because nobody had died tell you everything you need to know about which way his moral compass points. 

Yes Billy was done for the crime - and my impression is that it genuinely was HIS crime - but there’s no way Jah Rule, with his position, could have been blissfully ignorant of what was going on. When you put it in the context of his own music career and the success and fortune he’s garnered one could reasonably conclude that he’s not stupid. I think he knew what Billy was up to to some extent but decided to ride the gravy train because he falsely thought the event would be a success - on this point I do think Billy fooled him with the slickness of the early promotional stuff, as he fooled everyone else. 

I thought first class seats folded back into like a bed? And are separated from everyone else?

I think if mid-way through my 27 hour journey back from Langkawi a couple of years ago - if someone offered me either £3K or a move to a sectioned off bed, I'd have had to pause for thought :)

13 minutes ago, Popo said:

If you could drop £3k and it not be a thing though...

Yeah I know, if I literally had money to piss away. 

Thing is though point I was trying to make about how spending money is more about keeping people apart rather than actual value for money 

the one time my boss upgrade me to business class back from LA I was sat with my champagne and people were walking past me and one looked and said “why do they make us do this?” 

I just felt bad

21 minutes ago, linkster said:

Yeah I know, if I literally had money to piss away. 

Thing is though point I was trying to make about how spending money is more about keeping people apart rather than actual value for money 

the one time my boss upgrade me to business class back from LA I was sat with my champagne and people were walking past me and one looked and said “why do they make us do this?” 

I just felt bad

Up to a point I agree. I’m happy to spend money on quality, for example, and exceptional quality is not something I can afford, but once you reach a certain level, and the market is still there willing to spend higher, all they’re paying for is status.

Edit - I suppose the aviation equivalent of this would be low earth orbit flights. 

I’m sure there are many real world examples which, to the outsider, would seem just as nonsensical as your square metre of ground. 

18 minutes ago, Popo said:

Up to a point I agree. I’m happy to spend money on quality, for example, and exceptional quality is not something I can afford, but once you reach a certain level, and the market is still there willing to spend higher, all they’re paying for is status.

Edit - I suppose the aviation equivalent of this would be low earth orbit flights. 

I’m sure there are many real world examples which, to the outsider, would seem just as nonsensical as your square metre of ground. 

Missus won a competition which got us a free weekend in Padstow, all paid - hotel, seafood school, and meal at the seafood restaurant. We’d stayed at the cheaper bistro before and in all honesty the latter was a much nicer experience - the seafood restaurant is eye wateringly expensive but clearly somewhere to be seen, rather than any noticeable quality of food or service 

Totally agree quality and value for money is a scale but just don’t have that need to feel superior to people based on things which cost an awful lot but seem more than a little absurd when viewed objectively. Like ‘luxury popcorn’ in the cinema ...