Sign in to follow this  
deerokus

Fyre - The Greatest Party That Never Happened (Netflix)

A big bunch of my friends go to Burning Man every year and it costs them about £2.5k. Flights, RV hire, all the shit you need to survive for a week in the desert, Vegas trip after...

I don't consider them entitled pricks, and looking at the pictures, I don't consider it a waste of money. They're having a blast.

But then, BM isn;t marketed as the elite of the elite having a better time than the proles. Even though that is essentially pretty much what it is. 

2 hours ago, amc said:

Yeah he may not have been behind the money shenanigans but he added some legitimacy to the whole festival in the minds of some who booked tickets. "Oh Ja Rule's organising, seems legit"

Nobody in the history of human civilisation has ever taken comfort from Jah Rule being involved in anything in any capacity.

• Upvote 7

To be honest I know very little about the cat, so much so I missed his H. Sorry Jah, you dodgy little tinker. Surely he has clout (kill me now) with the targeted audience though?

The H misunderstanding is on K then. I knew I was right all along but K having a lot of clout (kill me now) around here I went along. So the target for this festival probably didn't put much stock in his involvement then and if he isn't having the hits anymore then it's obvious to why he was turning a blind eye to any impropriety. Money and becoming relevant again if the thing took off.

5 hours ago, linkster said:

Actually no! But £3k plus for a flight to not sleep in a slightly bigger chair? Madness 

Yeah but for most people the £3k is relatively less than it is for the regular person, or they are on an upgrade. 

Where else can you sit and have someone wait on you and you and bring you free stuff on demand? Plus you get to another country at the end.

6 minutes ago, sir stiff_one said:

Yeah but for most people the £3k is relatively less than it is for the regular person, or they are on an upgrade. 

Where else can you sit and have someone wait on you and you and bring you free stuff on demand? Plus you get to another country at the end.

But it’s not free, you’ve paid 3 grand for it. 

My mate works for for a big airline and frequently goes in first as a perk, he says quite often there’s say 12 seats in the 1st cabin, all full but maybe 1 or 2 actual paying passengers and the rest is staff travel. 

Until I get to such a state of wealth that someone offers me 3 grand in cash on arrival on my holiday or no cash but a much more comfortable 12 hour flight I don't think I'll ever fly anything but economy. I'd always choose the hellish flight and take the 3 grand to spend on the holiday. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, McCoy said:

Until I get to such a state of wealth that someone offers me 3 grand in cash on arrival on my holiday or no cash but a much more comfortable 12 hour flight I don't think I'll ever fly anything but economy. I'd always choose the hellish flight and take the 3 grand to spend on the holiday. 

Personally spending on first/business class is madness. But regularly if it's long haul business then it'll be paid for by work. 

• Upvote 1

On 21/01/2019 at 09:06, gossi the dog said:

I'm not sure if you're supposed to, but I came out of this quite liking Ja Rule. I mean he just swore a lot, drunk beer and I got the impression he was just using that Billy chap.

He seemed close to 'get in the pool bitches, I'm paying for this so you better get yo itsy bitsy yellow polka dot bikinis and writhe around in that pool!'

On 24/01/2019 at 16:04, linkster said:

Missus won a competition which got us a free weekend in Padstow, all paid - hotel, seafood school, and meal at the seafood restaurant. We’d stayed at the cheaper bistro before and in all honesty the latter was a much nicer experience - the seafood restaurant is eye wateringly expensive but clearly somewhere to be seen, rather than any noticeable quality of food or service 

Totally agree quality and value for money is a scale but just don’t have that need to feel superior to people based on things which cost an awful lot but seem more than a little absurd when viewed objectively. Like ‘luxury popcorn’ in the cinema ...

What is 'Luxury Popcorn' exactly? Just normal popcorn with chocolate sprinkles or something?

1 minute ago, Andy_Why said:

What is 'Luxury Popcorn' exactly? Just normal popcorn with chocolate sprinkles or something?

It’s a round plastic tub maybe a third of the size of a bag of regular popcorn and drowned in white chocolate or coloured melted sugar of some sort. Looks revolting. My teeth hurt just seeing it there

I watched the Hulu film tonight and it's equally as good as the netflix one and there's lots of new stuff in it. The interview with Billy is mostly worthless and he stonewalls the few hard questions he gets asked but the rest of it is excellent. Man, those Fuck Jerry guys are beyond loathsome and I really hope that class action suit takes them down. They were involved in the Netflix docu which I didn't realise and slightly taints it for me.

It feels less exploitative and there's not as much of the festival in chaos scenes. It's quite funny in places and I still don't understand what Billys steel credit card business was all about (was it like Revolut or something??). Anyway, we're doomed as a species and we deserve all we get. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Silent Runner said:

I watched the Hulu film tonight and it's equally as good as the netflix one and there's lots of new stuff in it. The interview with Billy is mostly worthless and he stonewalls the few hard questions he gets asked but the rest of it is excellent. Man, those Fuck Jerry guys are beyond loathsome and I really hope that class action suit takes them down. They were involved in the Netflix docu which I didn't realise and slightly taints it for me.

It feels less exploitative and there's not as much of the festival in chaos scenes. It's quite funny in places and I still don't understand what Billys steel credit card business was all about (was it like Revolut or something??). Anyway, we're doomed as a species and we deserve all we get. 

Where did you get it bud?

Throughly enjoyed this, although I did find it a little distracting that Billy looks like the result of a experiment to splice together Channing Tattum and Michael McIntyre. 

• Upvote 6

On 27/01/2019 at 11:00, Skull Commander said:

Also the dude that would have "sucked cock" for the event sounded like the Rev Lovejoy from The Simpson! 

You do know he most likely did suck cock for water?

that pitch deck is interesting reading.

and there’s a deliciously catty guardian article about this show and situation doing the rounds - i loved this quote especially:

”Billy McFarland, a man whose permanent facial expression is of a 14-year-old boy who has just been told “there will be girls there”.

i couldn’t quite put my finger on it when watching the show - i think they nailed it!

• Upvote 4

That slide deck is hilarious. 'Financials - see appendix'. Trust us, we've got the money.

Also, is there another musician called Brandon Flowers? Not the guy from the The Killers - because the guy in the presentation with his name is not him.

• Upvote 1

On 28/01/2019 at 20:11, probotector said:

You do know he most likely did suck cock for water?

And in doing so that man saved lives!!! 

Oh man, this was ace. When all those self entitled rich idiots turned up at the festival and stood around for hours thinking it was the collection point to be taken to the real festival and the ‘organisers’ tried to appease them by pouring vodka down their throats and turning up the bass - then they went looting and destroying everything. The doc tries to frame it like it’s a modern day Woodstock or the making of Apocalypse Now - everything about it is pure funny.

• Upvote 1