IGNORED

Fyre - The Greatest Party That Never Happened (Netflix)

deerokus

1 hour ago, deerokus said:

The Fyre documentary is great. Fucking hilarious. The water stuck in customs situation... 

It really warms my cockles that this film is directed by Chris Smith, who years ago made the brilliant gonzo documentary American Movie.

Watching now.

"Very cathartic, Mark"

39 minutes ago, Pete said:

What the hell is with that guest that decided he wanted empty tents near  him, so pissed on beds and cut holes in tents?

I mean the behaviour is just awful, but then to boast about it? On Netflix? What a cunt. Horrible people all round.

To a fault pretty much everyone in it seemed like a narcissistic competitive cunt 

Amazing film, all you need to make bank is;

•a fantastic aspirational promo film

•a shit load of influencers to post an orange square and a hashtag; all gulled on a free non existent tent

• a backend website to collect the money

Thing is, they could have pulled this together if they’d started smaller. 

It seems so weird to me , as a bloke in his 40s, why anyone would have interest in, would follow anyone who's job description is "influencer". Youtube influencer, Instagram influencer, its such a nakedly transparent name that literally tells people, " if you become my fan, I will try and persuade you to buy things" .

I mean, what does anyone hope to gain from following someone who is only there to gain from pushing products at you for cash?  The biggest reveal from this documentary is that they paid an influencer a quarter of a million dollars to post about the festival. You know in any arrangement like that, there's no integrity to the influencer - they are making the post purely for a huge sum of money.  So on that basis, why would anyone follow them? What's to be gained other than feeling bad about how you can't afford that lifestyle. And why trust what they tell you anyway? Their job title is "influencer", like people are queueing up to be influenced by them.  This really added a layer to the documentary where I should have felt bad for the people who bought the tickets , but I couldn't because they just seemed to be awful people. 

Good watch this. The amount of money lost for all concerned in this scam was staggering. Billy clearly just doesn’t give a fuck and the bit near the end with Frank just shows how messed up he really is. Is six years really sufficient for this level of blatant fraud? 

Well, looks like the caterer will at least be reimbursed. Not by Billy obviously.  $130,000 and rising. 

Great watch but at times I had to remind myself that this was a documentary rather than a black comedy. Felt really sorry for all the manual workers but hard to elicit too much for the drones who had been tricked into signing up for it. Reminded me of the hype that the Kony 2012 video received. 

17 hours ago, dumpster said:

It seems so weird to me , as a bloke in his 40s, why anyone would have interest in, would follow anyone who's job description is "influencer". Youtube influencer, Instagram influencer, its such a nakedly transparent name that literally tells people, " if you become my fan, I will try and persuade you to buy things" .

I mean, what does anyone hope to gain from following someone who is only there to gain from pushing products at you for cash?  The biggest reveal from this documentary is that they paid an influencer a quarter of a million dollars to post about the festival. You know in any arrangement like that, there's no integrity to the influencer - they are making the post purely for a huge sum of money.  So on that basis, why would anyone follow them? What's to be gained other than feeling bad about how you can't afford that lifestyle. And why trust what they tell you anyway? Their job title is "influencer", like people are queueing up to be influenced by them.  This really added a layer to the documentary where I should have felt bad for the people who bought the tickets , but I couldn't because they just seemed to be awful people. 

I wish I could like this several times. Last weekend, we went to the Autosport show in Birmingham, had the guy who does F1 commentary who’s a bit of a knob but hey ho, then he had two people in support, one a leather clad blonde who appeared to know nothing at all about motorsport 

The other - the other was an ‘internet influencer’ called Schmee. He was early middle aged, dressed very sports casual. He too seemed to know nothing, being shoehorned in at pre agreed scheduled interviews where he literally did nothing except drive a mclaren road car very slowly

i don’t follow you tube personalities but I at least expected a silly voice, or someone who wouldn’t shut up, but it was more like the guy from the Rover dealership in the Knowing Me Knowing Yule Christmas special

as for Fyre, $100,000 for a ticket? There should be more of these scams, designed specifically to separate cash from the rich an stupid then distributed to those who need

On 19/01/2019 at 15:29, Pete said:

What the hell is with that guest that decided he wanted empty tents near  him, so pissed on beds and cut holes in tents?

I mean the behaviour is just awful, but then to boast about it? On Netflix? What a cunt. Horrible people all round.

This was shocking to me as well. I was like, did he just say that? And with no sense of how bad it sounds?

Great doc, though. My wife was pleased to point out that, apart from one investor, no women appeared to be responsible for any the fiasco.

On 19/01/2019 at 15:29, Pete said:

I've long believed the cost of exclusivity is because people want to separate themselves as much as possible. It's never about "the best food" as this Fyre flyer put it, it's about catching those for whom no amount of money is a barrier to showing they are better than others, which often means just not being within touching distance

I get in arguments occasionally with the misses about first class on airplanes, for me it's like if you painted a square on the ground and charged people to get into it, it's no less absurd than a VIP tent at a festival - it's just the crazy idea that for a few fleeting hours that cubic foot of air becomes something transcendental that only money can gain you access to and somehow elevate you above others

2 hours ago, Stopharage said:

Well, looks like the caterer will at least be reimbursed. Not by Billy obviously.  $130,000 and rising. 

Great watch but at times I had to remind myself that this was a documentary rather than a black comedy. Felt really sorry for all the manual workers but hard to elicit too much for the drones who had been tricked into signing up for it. Reminded me of the hype that the Kony 2012 video received. 

I don't have much sympathy for the people who purchased tickets but I was reading a few articles and it seems like a lot of tickets were sold at early bird prices of around $500. Glastonbury is what, $300 a ticket, and this was including flights to the island and accommodation.  Obviously too good to be true, but I don' t think you have to be a complete moron to think that it might be worth it for $500 and that you'd expect to get a minimum standard of service and accommodation for that price. But yeah, people paying thousands of dollars for it just so they could post to Instagram get no sympathy. 

52 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

I'm not sure if you're supposed to, but I came out of this quite liking Ja Rule. I mean he just swore a lot, drunk beer and I got the impression he was just using that Billy chap.

He seems to get out of the whole thing completely unscathed. I presume the documentary makers had to portray him that way as he’s a wealthy individual that would have tied them up in litigation for years.

54 minutes ago, Black Cat Supremacist said:

He seems to get out of the whole thing completely unscathed. I presume the documentary makers had to portray him that way as he’s a wealthy individual that would have tied them up in litigation for years.

Is he wealthy? I don't think he's done anything of note for over a decade. I got the impression he was just hanging on, and living the dream on that Billy chap's tab.

Ja Rule saying it was ok because it wasn't fraud just false advertising summed up how much anyone involved at the top didn't really care about anything.

Originally the festival was supposed to be tied into advertising a booking app wasn't it? This is the new version isn't it?

https://iconn.me/

41 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

Is he wealthy? I don't think he's done anything of note for over a decade. I got the impression he was just hanging on, and living the dream on that Billy chap's tab.

Looks like it. The internet estimates of his wealth fluctuate between $5 to $8 million, so he’s not exactly super rich.

Front page of BBC news currently

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-46946572

Ja Rule claims he was scammed and lost money through his involvement with 2017's Fyre Festival.

The rapper has spoken out after two documentaries shed light on what happened at the flop Bahamas event.

Ticket holders were promised a weekend partying with influencers on a private island but instead got rain-soaked mattresses in disaster tents and their luggage dumped in an unlit car-park.

Ja denied he was involved in defrauding party-goers and locals on the island.

Tickets for the festival were available for up to $75,000 (£58,000).

Billy McFarland, founder of Fyre, is serving a six-year jail term but Ja Rule was not arrested or charged in connection with the fraud.

He shared his views on the festival, the documentaries and questions on why his involvement wasn't being investigated by US authorities on Twitter.