Your shameful gaming secrets

In the run up to Pokemon Yellow, I tried to guilt trip my mum into buying it for me. That didn't work, so on release day I pecked her head about it relentlessly after being picked up after school until she snapped and drove me to Currys to buy it.

I shouldn't have bothered, it was shit and I went straight back to Red and Blue almost immediately. 

• Upvote 2
17 minutes ago, The Bag said:

I much preferred Cook, Serve, Delicious as there was some variation.  With Great Pizza, Good Pizza you just make pizza and there’s only one customer at a time, sure they might want multiple pizzas but it’s just pizza.  I played a fair bit but unless they game changes drastically I think I prefer CSD.  I picked it up because someone on a podcast who’s opinion I respect, likened it to Papers, Please personally I don’t see it. 

Hmm, yeah I can see that becoming an issue quite fast with GPGP. At least in CSD there's a fair amount of variation.

This is not something I did. But until this day I wonder which friend of mine borrowed my Sims 1 collection (main game and quite a number of add-ons) and never returned it. I have a sneaking suspicion it's the same one who never returned my Caspar VHS tape. We are not friends anymore.

I'm 100% I also must've pulled some sneaky things but atm I can't remember anything! :hmm:

• Empathy 1
1 hour ago, The Bag said:

I much preferred Cook, Serve, Delicious as there was some variation.  With Great Pizza, Good Pizza you just make pizza and there’s only one customer at a time, sure they might want multiple pizzas but it’s just pizza.  I played a fair bit but unless they game changes drastically I think I prefer CSD.  I picked it up because someone on a podcast who’s opinion I respect, likened it to Papers, Please personally I don’t see it. 

I wouldn't be ashamed to admit to playing Cook, serve, delicious. That ramps things up nicely, it's a proper game, you have to be quick and multitask and stuff.
Acceptable pizza, average pizza is more up the "insultingly easy" end of the casual games spectrum.

You just look at the nice pastel shades, dribble on your keyboard and make pepperoni faces.

• Upvote 1

When I was about 8 my dad told me and my younger brother that if we tidied our rooms we would get a reward.

We went up and I moved some shit around creating the impression I had done it, leaving my brother alone. 

Moments later yer my brother shouts me in the room (we shared) and under his pillow was Pokemon blue (then brand new). I looked under mine and there was Pokémon red. 

We played that shit on our brick gameboys for years. Pokemon red was my fave game of all time. 

15 years later my brother confessed that when he looked under the pillows he actually had been left Pokemon red but didn’t like the look of Charizard on the front so switched them moments before I went in. This single swap influenced my love of Pokemon. Red. 

Bell end. 

• Upvote 9

When I was a child my local area had only one games shop, and it was on my street so I spent a lot of time in there. The owner was a super nice guy who had some kind of head injury as a youth and so he had some difficulty putting the cassettes into the cases when you bought something. That's not relevant to the story though. Really top bloke. He worked there by himself for ages until he finally took on a girl to help him.

Anyway mostly I bought the £2.99 code masters games and stuff, but occasionally I would have a tenner for a big box game. One that I bought was Strider for the spectrum. Like most spectrum games you loaded levels one at a time. It presumably took me months but I was actually able to get to the last level, which is when I discovered it had a tape loading error every time.

At that time I had recently purchased Ocean's Batman game for a similar price, so I returned Strider as faulty and handed over the Batman receipt as my proof of purchase. I was thinking 'It's the same price, so it's a completely fool proof plan!'.

They told me to come back in a week or two for a replacement copy. When I went to get it the girl brought it out and said;

"Strider was it?"

Yes.

"Not Batman?"

(awkward silence - my face goes red)

No.

"Alright here you are"

I probably fled from the shop. That was the beginning of the corruption of my childhood innocence. I don't think it was actually much of a big deal but I carried so much guilt I stopped going in there.

The replacement copy worked perfectly though.

• Upvote 2

WWF No Mercy on N64 famously shipped with a shit game-breaking bug where all your data would be wiped at random intervals. This was fucking heartbreaking for me as I loved the series and it was devastating not being able to play it properly.

THQ did reissue a batch with the bug fixed (and years later I found out that they offered a replacement service - I struggled on with the crappy version), the only difference to the naked eye on the cartridge being an additional '-1' at the end on the label. A couple of years later I noticed that my cousin's copy was, somehow, the new version. Justified by the fact that he never played it single-player and only occasionally got it out for multiplayer when my brother and I came round, one day I brought round my copy and switched them. I then played it all the time forever. 

What an arsehole.

• Upvote 2

I used to abuse the GAME returns policy around the time of PS2 I think.,

They had 7 days or so return policy, so I bought a game and would go back the following saturday after completing it and then return it for a new one. I did this process for a good 8+ weeks until they cottoned on and changed the policy.

Wish I could remember the games now.

20 hours ago, ChrisN said:

I beat my brother on SNES Street Fighter 2 playing as Guile only using the leg sweep move while he tried to play it properly. I did that a lot.

I used to beat my brother at street fighter by laying the pad on the floor and playing with my feat, just to piss him off. :ph34r:

• Upvote 1

My favourite shameful gaming secret happened around Christmas 1994.  I'd asked my parents for Secret of Mana on the SNES, was super hyped for it. 

It was a point in time where, being 15, my parents trusted me to look after the house and my younger brothers while they went off to watch the rugby each weekend.  They were Scarlets fans, and as such would drive from Barry to Llanelli most Saturdays.   

My brothers and I knew where the folks stashed the Xmas presents.  We found Secret of Mana one Saturday afternoon, minutes after my parents left the house.  Using my best careful-box-opening skills, we got playing it (multitap ready, but gutted not to get 3 player for a while).  Given my folks would be out from about 11-5 we got a good chunk of time in on it!  Then I very carefully put is back. 

But it got worse.  After that day, any time we could sneak into my parents wardrobe and grab it we would.  Even after school!

We almost finished it before Xmas day came around.  Me and my bros did the best fake surprise upon opening the game on Christmas morning :D Good times. 

• Upvote 9
18 hours ago, Floshenbarnical said:

As a young ‘un with no internet connection or naughty magazines available (isolated village) I used to have fat wanks to the fit female characters on the character selection screen on Timesplitters Future Perfect’s multiplayer. Favorites were Amy Chen, the nurse, and the female cop. 

You could pause SFII as Chun-Li was doing some move where she was upside down for a second and you could see her knickers - got a bit of mileage out of that. The things we did pre-internet.

22 hours ago, CovisGod said:

The day of my Dad's funeral, I got back from the service, the after do was round our house, we were the first back and I noticed I had a red card through the door saying I had a package waiting for me.... Knowing full well it was my copy of Star Wars Knights Of The Old Republic for the Xbox I snuck out of the house for an hour to walk to the post office to pick it up while people stood in my house balling and eating sausage rolls. Bad person. 

I was about to shake my head and tut at you when I remembered that I didn't go to my grandfather's funeral and instead played sick. And once everyone had gone and I had the place to myself I played Pyjamarama all day until I solved it.

22 hours ago, NickC said:

Mate, that's why gaming is so great. It's something that always accepts you, and it allows you to get away from it all when real life turns to shit.

I would have done the same.

It's what I needed at the time. Videogames were the only thing keeping my secret self harm at the time from turning into something more drastic.

4 hours ago, skittles said:

I used to abuse the GAME returns policy around the time of PS2 I think.,

They had 7 days or so return policy, so I bought a game and would go back the following saturday after completing it and then return it for a new one. I did this process for a good 8+ weeks until they cottoned on and changed the policy.

Wish I could remember the games now.

10 days it was in Electronic Boutique.  My GF at the time worked there and I used this for months and months.  It was easily long enough for me to complete a game or get bored, didn't pay for games for ages.

I also had at least two XB 360s blocked by MS after having them made to play copies.  Never any trouble with the original xboxes though, I was playing multiplayer Halo with people all over the world via some software on the PC, it was amazing at the time.

23 hours ago, CovisGod said:

The day of my Dad's funeral, I got back from the service, the after do was round our house, we were the first back and I noticed I had a red card through the door saying I had a package waiting for me.... Knowing full well it was my copy of Star Wars Knights Of The Old Republic for the Xbox I snuck out of the house for an hour to walk to the post office to pick it up while people stood in my house balling and eating sausage rolls. Bad person. 

There's no shame in this.  Everyone grieves in different ways, you do what you have to to get through it.

Can't think of any that I have done off the top of my head, but one thing comes to mind...

I was an N64 owner , and had a few other friends from school were too.  We'd play 3 or 4 player most nights, but as time moved on, were all starting to move away from playing it, and my friend wanted a Dreamcast, so decided to trade in his N64.

I offered to buying some of his games, but he felt I was trying to rip him off and refused.  A week passed until I saw him next, he was sitting with his shiny new Dreamcast looking smug.  We got onto how he got it.  Turned out he traded the N64 stuff into Game including getting a fair bit less for the games I wanted than I had offered him.

He looked sheepish, and I was pissed.  

I still bring it up anytime he mentions wanting to sell something...

8 minutes ago, deKay said:

Are you old enough to be on here?

Yes.

7 minutes ago, deKay said:

You were left on your own when you were 10?

lol no I wouldn't have been. Wouldn't have been as long ago as I've mentioned. But I wouldn't have been much older

Back in the day when Boots sold Spectrum games, it was always a risk that hard earned pocket money would be squandered on buying a game based on the screenshot and blurb on the back of the cassette, or from some tantalising advert in the latest Your Spectrum or Crash magazine. 

We would usually ask to have a demo on the instore machines, but more often the staff started getting moany about kids playing on the computers all day. 

So, if it turned out the game was a turkey and not a smash, back it would go because the game was faulty. Cue various excuses. 

When the manager started moaning about being used as a library, the best way to actually make the game faulty was to stick some paper in the holes and tape over a couple of seconds someway into the tape. 

• Upvote 1

oh, me and a mate used to pull out the tape and rub it between our fingers, that was usually enough to break it. I don't think they ever actually tested them when we returned them anyway, but hey ho. Got rid of a few terrible games back to John Menzies that way. I was just thinking I didn't seem to have any gaming shame, beyond the inevitable Steam Pile of it at least, and then there's that little flashback.