IGNORED

Space Force - Steve Carell and Greg Daniels

JohnC

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Going by that trailer this is a great example of how you can throw a lot of money and names at a comedy but if the jokes are weak it's all for nothing. I'm sure the dry-cleaning "gag"  is a throwaway line in the actual show, but showcasing it in the trailer just smacks of desperation. Plus I'll bet that meeting scene goes on for ages in the actual show with sod-all going on; it feels like one of those shows where they confuse pauses and lots of umm'ing and ah'ing with complex comedy character. Will check the first one, my expectations are low enough that there's a chance I could get something from it.  

In Space Force Nobody Can Hear You Laugh - just getting that one in there. Waiting to be proven wrong. 

10 hours ago, Vimster said:

Going by that trailer this is a great example of how you can throw a lot of money and names at a comedy but if the jokes are weak it's all for nothing.

Avenue 5 has you covered in spades.

This looks like next in the line for slapping together talent from great comedies (Silicon Valley, Veep, the Office) and squandering it.

• 1 month later...

I've enjoyed it too. It has a lot of heart and texture. I like the way it has a through line and many of the episodes callback previous ones. Little details like the Space Force logo looking like it might exist, but is just a bit wrong and the Coastguard guy being the butt of jokes. Plus I love the fact I'm 9 episodes in and I still don't know 

Spoiler

what his wife did to get 60 years in jail.

But, yes, the humour is tonally all over the place. I think that's why I like it though; it's just a bit awkward.

Finished this off last night. Agree it probably should have been funnier but it turned into a nice heartwarming story nonetheless. Will definitely tune in for season two, assuming there will be one. The line that got the biggest laugh from me was...

Spoiler

'Did I hurt his feelings?'

'....Yes!'

Hardly genius but Malkovich's delivery really nailed that for me!

• 1 year later...

I enjoyed the first season but I could have sworn I read somewhere it was cancelled, so seeing season two pop up in the "upcoming" section of Netflix was a nice surprise. Looking forward to more.

• 1 month later...

I thought the first series was a bit weak, but very pleasantly surprised by series 2 (which I'm 5/7 through). I can't think of many comedy shows that went uphill. New director and writers, I believe.

6 hours ago, Skykid said:

I thought the first series was a bit weak, but very pleasantly surprised by series 2 (which I'm 5/7 through). I can't think of many comedy shows that went uphill. New director and writers, I believe.

With that in mind should new viewers just start with season 2? Or force down the vegetables before dessert?

13 hours ago, Jackson said:

With that in mind should new viewers just start with season 2? Or force down the vegetables before dessert?

:D There are people above who enjoyed S1 more than I did, and I didn't think it was terrible, so I wouldn't swerve it too hard.
On the other hand, I don't think there's anything you'll miss out on by just jumping to S2. Perhaps some context for Lisa Kudrow's character?

There are small plot spoilers for the finale of S1 in S2, so that might matter a tiny bit if you were to go backwards. But no biggie IMO.

46 minutes ago, deKay said:

Parks and Rec.

That's fair. As an ensemble, I think it went through to about S4 before dipping hard for me. I'd still consider S1 to be peak-April, and she was my favourite character... but a bunch of the rest bloomed later - Tom and Andy especially.

The Good Place might also have been a better S2 to S1. Maybe Pushing Daisies? Possibly The Office (U.S.) too. It's been a while since I binged!

Didn’t realise series 2 was available, and I thought I had commented in this thread on series 1...

(Carrell was good, Malkovich was hilarious and Lisa Kudrow was wasted - felt like half of what she was doing wasn’t explained)

Better but more low key than the first series. I suspect the department having budget cuts in the first episodes was referencing the show getting the same.

They’ve also changed some characters, like Tony is less in your face and more sympathetic and Chen is more central.

On 15/03/2022 at 22:44, deKay said:

They’ve also changed some characters, like Tony is less in your face and more sympathetic and Chen is more central.

Pleased they dialled Tony back.

Jimmy O. Yang seems to have major writing credits this series, so it might not be a massive coincidence that he's more prominent and has the love interest 😄

• 1 month later...