Ghostbusters -Afterlife

papalazarou

On 05/06/2022 at 00:39, drmick said:

I have some difficulty understanding why some people have difficulty understanding that there can films which some people really like whilst others find dull. Afterlife, No Way Home and The Batman all fall into this category in recent times.

This. I really like Afterlife and it makes me a bit sad to see how angry it seems to get some people. Plus I guess there's the subtle implication with comments like "I can’t understand why anyone would enjoy this turd of a movie" that I must have some kind of mental impairment to have liked it.

They're making a sequel to it now too!

1 hour ago, Zio said:

This. I really like Afterlife and it makes me a bit sad to see how angry it seems to get some people. Plus I guess there's the subtle implication with comments like "I can’t understand why anyone would enjoy this turd of a movie" that I must have some kind of mental impairment to have liked it.

They're making a sequel to it now too!

That's just lazy twats being lazy though. I thought it was an absolute straight out the bum turd but if you liked it then good luck to you! 

• 4 months later...

Despite GB1 and 2 being my favourite films as a kid, I’ve only just seen this new one (kind of, it was on in the background while I was messing around with my Steam Deck).

Why does it have to be the same film as the first one? The same baddie, the same dogs, the same possessions, the same ending more or less. Stay Puft marshmallow men. A Twinkie.

Fuck sake. Even the shitty Paul Feig one had something new.

Shite.

17 hours ago, Paulando said:

Despite GB1 and 2 being my favourite films as a kid, I’ve only just seen this new one (kind of, it was on in the background while I was messing around with my Steam Deck).

Why does it have to be the same film as the first one? The same baddie, the same dogs, the same possessions, the same ending more or less. Stay Puft marshmallow men. A Twinkie.

Fuck sake. Even the shitty Paul Feig one had something new.

Shite.

'Member this?

Meh, I liked it, and I have a low tolerance for fan service. It felt like a Ghostbusters film, was new in terms of settings and characters, and generally was something I'd watch again. I doubt people will be taking about it in the same terms as the original 30 years on, but it was a good time. It doesn't suffer for having the Ghostbusters name attached.

The other recent Ghostbusters film I think did; it was a completely different type of comedy to the original and it worked against it. I think if it'd been allowed to be its own thing people could've enjoyed it for what it was rather than hate it for what it wasn't.

On 04/06/2022 at 12:54, BitterToad said:

I just watched this on a lazy bank holiday Saturday and well... what an absolutely hideously dull piece of shit it was. I can't remember the last time I saw a more cynical, less original blockbuster and I went to a screening of fucking Morbius for Christ's sake. It manages to both constantly laboriously ape every single memeable aspect of the original and completely miss the point about what made it good. 

People say it's The Force Awakens for Ghostbusters but it manages to even completely miss that as a thing. It more made me think of that bit in The Simpsons where Stan Lee is trying to crush the Incredible Hulk into The Batmobile. But in this case it's crushing Stranger Things into the Ecto 1. It's not funny! Not even a little bit! There's a kid called podcast who has a podcast and he's there as a sort of incredibly irritating comic relief but aside from that it's basically a completely played straight 80's teen movie (which were also pretty famous for having jokes) crammed into a Ghostbusters movie with the laser guns and Stay Puft and Gozer and who cares! Do something interesting with the story! It started off quite well! I liked some of the characters and was looking forward to seeing a group of kids go on an adventure but they just sort of don't bother and instead just show you things you remember and have the lads turn up at the end.

I really liked the original Ghostbusters but have never been a "Ghostbusters guy" as such. To be honest it wasn't until the 2016 movie came out and everyone got so angry that I even learned that people were that devoted to what was for me one really funny movie about ghosts and not a huge amount more. So I was kind of expecting to not care about this too much and fairly enjoy it either way. But it's so dull, so nothing, just a memberberry head massage of corporate nothingness. It makes 2016 look like the most original movie ever made because at least that tried to do something different with the formula even if that difference was just "women" and "more farts." 

I didn't care for it, basically. This was quite a cathartic typing session though so I suppose I'll give it that. 

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the film.

I maintain that I really liked Afterlife, and am looking forward to the sequel. I get that it retreads the villain in GB1, but it made sense to me (in that the villain was stopped and sent back in GB1, and actually trapped in this one).

But I probably do have way too high a tolerance for the fan service, considering my Halloween costume this year...

Spoiler

312442759_5945773608766719_445935486478008553_n.jpg.733d73042dcf594790e71866db9e2cb6.jpg