IGNORED

Ghostbusters -Afterlife

papalazarou

Saw this last night with my daughter - she's not really a huge fan of the originals, but absolutely loved this and came out talking about how much she hopes they make more (the final post credit scene absolutely gives them the setup for that even though it's a total nonsense).

From my perspective, it's OK - solid but unspectactular. A little slow-paced in the middle act (I reckon they could easily trim a good chunk more off this even though some of the plot strands seem to have been cast aside already), and oddly devoid of many actual ghosts. There are some very dumb moments and setups, but also an incredibly touching tribute near the end.

It's not awesome, but if you liked the 'actual' films there are enough nice nods here to keep you happy. 7 roosters out of a litre.

2 hours ago, rgraves said:

Saw this last night with my daughter - she's not really a huge fan of the originals, but absolutely loved this and came out talking about how much she hopes they make more (the final post credit scene absolutely gives them the setup for that even though it's a total nonsense).

From my perspective, it's OK - solid but unspectactular. A little slow-paced in the middle act (I reckon they could easily trim a good chunk more off this even though some of the plot strands seem to have been cast aside already), and oddly devoid of many actual ghosts. There are some very dumb moments and setups, but also an incredibly touching tribute near the end.

It's not awesome, but if you liked the 'actual' films there are enough nice nods here to keep you happy. 7 roosters out of a litre.

I definitely enjoyed it more than the 2016 film (which I wanted to like as I like Wiig and McCarthy, but I thought it never really worked out what it was trying to do), though there were some odd plot things I couldn;'t quite work out:

Edited by RFT
(edit- rapidly deleted some spoilers as I got the tags wrong)

@RFT - a question I had in spoiler tags below

Spoiler

I was sure Ray said the original ghostbusters station "was a Starbucks now". But then in the post-credit scene, it's clearly not a Starbucks, or ever had been.

Also, the whole "Dirt Farmer" thing - are we really supposed to think he spent years and years setting up a 10mx10m patch of dirt with a total of about 100 traps - I was expecting a much wider area. It was more gardening than farming.

34 minutes ago, rgraves said:

Hide contents

I was sure Ray said the original ghostbusters station "was a Starbucks now". But then in the post-credit scene, it's clearly not a Starbucks, or ever had been.

Also, the whole "Dirt Farmer" thing - are we really supposed to think he spent years and years setting up a 10mx10m patch of dirt with a total of about 100 traps - I was expecting a much wider area. It was more gardening than farming.

Spoiler

what post-credit scene? Venkman and Dana? or was there another one right at the end (we were getting shooed out of the cinema). 

What I spotted was a reference, in the scene where they're talking around the model about Egon's plan to "just like the original ghostbuster" and a name, which seemd to be a cut plot thread of, I guess, the original farm owner . maybe an enemy / rival of Shandor.

But what I was mostly wondering about was that - at the start of the film we see Egon trap what's probably Zuul / Vinz Klortho using his setup and then after he dies, ghost Egon leads Pheobe to the hidden trap - why on earth did he do that, as with one of the heralds trapped, Gozer would have been prevented from manifesting. As it is, it;s Pheobe and Teacher opening the trap that really unleash all the bother.

49 minutes ago, RFT said:

Hide contents

what post-credit scene? Venkman and Dana? or was there another one right at the end (we were getting shooed out of the cinema). 

What I spotted was a reference, in the scene where they're talking around the model about Egon's plan to "just like the original ghostbuster" and a name, which seemd to be a cut plot thread of, I guess, the original farm owner . maybe an enemy / rival of Shandor.

But what I was mostly wondering about was that - at the start of the film we see Egon trap what's probably Zuul / Vinz Klortho using his setup and then after he dies, ghost Egon leads Pheobe to the hidden trap - why on earth did he do that, as with one of the heralds trapped, Gozer would have been prevented from manifesting. As it is, it;s Pheobe and Teacher opening the trap that really unleash all the bother.

Spoiler

There was another post-credit scene that you missed - Winston taking Ecto1 back to the original station (now in dis-repair) and concluding with a lingering shot of the original ghost storage system (that they used to enter the traps into) with an ominous flashing red light on it.

As for the trap - I assumed it was one of either the gate keeper or key master caught in it - to try and lure Gozer in so they could then be trapped (which is the bit that failed and led to his death). I guess he showed them the trap so they could also try to use it to lure in the same way (maybe he didn't think his containment in the mountain would hold out forever) - I don't think he expected them to open it maybe?

31 minutes ago, dfq23 said:

Just back...

Loved it

I enjoyed it a lot too. Some of the criticisms are baffling - I think my favourite was that it was inconsistent for Phoebe to 

Spoiler

go from being a non-believer in ghosts to “Mystic Meg”, when in reality she was quickly and quite reasonably disabused of her skepticism by, you know, experiencing obviously supernatural activity.

It also made me chuckle more than I expected, given that some have said it’s almost entirely dry. I felt the original was played mostly straight with the laughs coming from quips, and while GBII turned the more overt attempts at comedy up a notch, it was hardly the more slapstick approach of the 2016 film (which I didn’t dislike in isolation). I didn’t have any issues with the tone of this one or think it jarred in comparison to the originals.

1 hour ago, Rain Birds said:

It also made me chuckle more than I expected, given that some have said it’s almost entirely dry. I felt the original was played mostly straight with the laughs coming from quips, and while GBII turned the more overt attempts at comedy up a notch, it was hardly the more slapstick approach of the 2016 film (which I didn’t dislike in isolation). I didn’t have any issues with the tone of this one or think it jarred in comparison to the originals.

This. The comedy kind of came more naturally than having everything played for laughs in 2016.

Quite enjoyed it.

Spoiler

Actually ties into the original too rather than all that stuff people complained about being just for nostalgia before they even saw it. I hadn't really thought about it, but the original did just end with a temporary win rather than actually defeating Gozer.

Just like people complained about it ruining the theme tune before they saw it actually had the original theme tune. There was a lot of jumping the gun.

saw this earlier and as a huge ghostbusters fan (for me up there with star wars, my wife even got me replica proton pack for my birthday this year)  i loved every minute of this. 

Yes its 100% fan service all the way through but it was handled with respect - and as others have said the movie def had an 80's spielberg family movie feel while tying back to the original movie.

Cant wait to take my kids to see this on sunday there going to love it 

there be spoliers below........

Spoiler

and yes there where def man tears when you see ghost egon helping phoebe hold the stream against gozer.  Didnt even recogise that it was oliva wilde playing gozer - or that it was jk simons as shandor! (for expanse fans gozer this time arround was voiced by  Shohreh Aghdashloo aka Chrisjen Avasarala

On 17/11/2021 at 12:20, rgraves said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

He didn't spend years planting traps. He spent years trying to get it working. And failed. It didn't work for him or his decedents when they tried it. It only worked when Stranger Things hit the capacitor with the proton pack.

Wasn't supposed to be seeing this until next week and taking at least eldest kid, but I'd been to see King Richard (which was very good) and then the trains were all messed up and it was about to start on a fairly empty super screen so grabbed a seat 8 rows back with no one in front of me and it was......

superb. Loved every minute of it.

Delivered on the fan service big time, the kids were excellent, Carrie Coon and Paul Rudd were great - there are two really nice end credit sequences, some good set pieces, well paced, a couple of decent jump scares, it's funny and the absence of Harold Ramis is really nicely handled.

Spoiler

Nicely handled until the end when it went up a few notches and I got something in my eye.

And yeah - it was obvious tw other 3 were going to turn up and save the day at the end, but it didn't make it any less great.

Plus - that was JK Simmons getting split apart wasn't it!!  

I'll see how I feel when I see it again but I'm feeling the full 5 stars at the moment.

I think snooty critics have been too snooty about it in their snootiness.

Mckenna Grace is especially good.   

Spoiler

There were also some playful benevolent ghost type moments.  Especially in the final scenes.

Anyway, I thought it both cleaned the slate and nodded to the past.  My kids - who let's face it are the most important audience - came away happy and scared in equal measure.

Also...

Screenshot_20211119-201928.png