Jump to content
rllmuk
papalazarou

Ghostbusters -Afterlife

Recommended Posts

2016 was never the same world, was it? There were no references other than as fanservice jokes that I can recall. Basically a joke about the firehouse location and the actors playing completely different people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Cartoon is a different universe isn't it? Same goes for the IDW comics. 

And now the 2016 movie. 

 

IDW comics well worth a read btw. 

 

Oh and the Co writer Gil Kenan didn't he do Monster house which was a pretty good film. And yes I did that without using IMDB.

 

Like we used to in the old days. 

 

 

 

Kiiiiiiind of, there's an episode where they've just got back from the fight with Gozer and the suits that are covered with ectoplasmic marshmallow and become evil versions of the Ghostbusters. This was before Ghostbusters 2 came out, mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

2016 was never the same world, was it? There were no references other than as fanservice jokes that I can recall. Basically a joke about the firehouse location and the actors playing completely different people.

GB 2016 was to Ghostbusters 1 and 2 what the 2003 Starsky & Hutch film was to the Starsky & Hutch television series. If it had been marketed as if it was an official semi-parody, it probably wouldn't have received the same level of negative reaction. (I still think it's an awful and unfunny film, FWIW.)

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s really fuck all like Stranger Things apart from the actor. I just checked, and yup, they made supernatural movies starring kids before 2016.
 

Is it just this franchise that specifically causes everyone to shit the bed with absolute, reactionary takes. “No women Ghostbusters, no kid Ghostbusters, why are they even making more Ghostbusters!?” Yawn.

  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

It’s really fuck all like Stranger Things apart from the actor. I just checked, and yup, they made supernatural movies starring kids before 2016.

The only person shitting the bed here is you. 

 

For what it's worth I found the visual hazy look of the trailer and the nostalgic feel lends itself to the Stranger Things comparisons as well as the obvious actor connection. 

 

This couldn't feel more detached from Ghostbusters if it tried and that's my issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, deKay said:

Egon is going to be in this as a ghost, isn't he.

 

Absolutely. There's going to be something in the final act where some act of fate prevents our heroes from dying and there's going to be a not so subtle nod that Egon has been watching over them and helping. Calling it now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Laser focussed nostalgia bait trailer.

  • Props from the original film(s) treated with almost religious like reverence by the camera - spacer.png
  • Slow plinky plonk melancholy version of music from the original - spacer.png
  • 'Epic' lines from the original used as a voiceover - spacer.png
  • Upvote 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Skull Commander said:

The only person shitting the bed here is you. 

 

For what it's worth I found the visual hazy look of the trailer and the nostalgic feel lends itself to the Stranger Things comparisons as well as the obvious actor connection. 

 

This couldn't feel more detached from Ghostbusters if it tried and that's my issue. 

 

I think if you didn't like anything about GB2016, and based on the first trailer you don't like the look of this, there's a good chance you might just not like this IP.

 

Ghostbusters wasn't just the first movie, it spawned a 180 episode show and a long-running comic book series. It works as a sci-fi property in the same way Buffy, Star Trek, Doctor Who etc. all work. This is why Sony is trying to bring it back and get it set up as a franchise again. If people will chill out and let them.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

 

I think if you didn't like anything about GB2016, and based on the first trailer you don't like the look of this, there's a good chance you might just not like this IP.

I don’t think anyone with an ounce of sense likes anything about the last film.

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IP? I'm not a marketing man or a movie executive. I like films, and I like the first two Ghostbuster films.

 

Right enough I didn't enjoy the 3rd movie from a couple of years back, but considering this film seems to be ignoring it's existence as well, then the Ghostbusters 1 & 2 is what it must be measured against, especially because of the blatent call backs in that trailer. 

 

For the record, as a child I LOVED The Real Ghostbusters cartoon and comic, but I wouldn't deem someone's opinion null and void if they didn't. Very strange logic indeed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Skull Commander said:

IP? I'm not a marketing man or a movie executive. I like films, and I like the first two Ghostbuster films.

 

Right enough I didn't enjoy the 3rd movie from a couple of years back, but considering this film seems to be ignoring it's existence as well, then the Ghostbusters 1 & 2 is what it must be measured against, especially because of the blatent call backs in that trailer. 

 

For the record, as a child I LOVED The Real Ghostbusters cartoon and comic, but I wouldn't deem someone's opinion null and void if they didn't. Very strange logic indeed. 

 

So you love all that stuff... but hate Stranger Things? I didn't say your opinion was null and void, of course not and my posts probably don't apply to you anyway, but you raised complaints a lot of people are making about this being a copy and rehash of ST or TFA and it's just a bit tiring hearing that from a demographic of people who likely consume half a dozen superhero films a year and can't wait to get their sub for The Mandalorian.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

 

I agree with those comparisons: the trailer seems to present the trap like some holy relic, like Rey discovering Luke's lightsaber in The Force Awakens.

 

I think it's unlikely the film will have this trailer's sombre, reverent tone. But even if it does, that could still work: as a kid, I viewed the films as serious horror adventures, rather than comedies!

  • Upvote 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Holy relic? Dude thought it was a replica.

 

My issue is I suspect lot of people trying to pigeonhole what Ghostbusters is, like the tweets above, are people who actually don't know very much about Ghostbusters outside the original movie and reboot, and aren’t especially invested anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, grindmouse said:


Because there are different types and it’s never fully explained.


tobins spirit guide has you covered

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

50 minutes ago, Nick R said:

 

 

 

I agree with those comparisons: the trailer seems to present the trap like some holy relic, like Rey discovering Luke's lightsaber in The Force Awakens.

 

I think it's unlikely the film will have this trailer's sombre, reverent tone. But even if it does, that could still work: as a kid, I viewed the films as serious horror adventures, rather than comedies!

 

Yeah exactly this.  The idea of 'Ghostbusters lore' is bizarre

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, PK said:

Yeah exactly this.  The idea of 'Ghostbusters lore' is bizarre

 

To you. Someone who clearly isn't invested beyond the first, and maybe second, movie.

  • Downvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, drmick said:

I liked the trailer. I can see this film being a Marmite situation like Star Trek Discovery.

 

Hoo boy. You mean if Marmite was actually a jar full of actual shit that some people tricked themselves into thinking was Nutella and actually ate? Then sure.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was playing a game in my head this morning, trying to work out who you’d cast as the Ghostbusters in each decade. 
 

I leant towards comedians for obvious reasons. 
 

So for the 90’s Ghostbusters I had Jim Carrey, Adam Sandler, Chris Farley and Chris Tucker.


For the 2000’s I had Will Ferrell, Ben Stiller, Chris Rock and Owen Wilson. 

 

For the 2010’s I had Craig Robinson, Seth Rogan, Jonah Hill and Jay Baruchel. 
 

All of these movies would probably have been terrible. Especially the 90’s version, which just would have been 2 hours of men shouting loudly. Goes to show how difficult it is to balance the personalities. 
 

What would be your picks? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.