Have you ever completely mastered a game?

There are a fair few things I managed to get really good at, back before The Backlog meant I rarely stuck around anything for longer than it took to complete it and move on, but I did manage to get Gold on every event (Race and Showoff) with every rider on SSX Tricky, which was a bit... wait for it...

Spoiler

Time-consuming.

I was a long-time Tony Hawk player, so it took a while to get used to the trick system (I think I had an epiphany one day when I was giving it a(nother) go whilst off sick), but once it clicked I never looked back, and it's still one of my very favourite games of all-time.

Chalk up another who mastered Wizball on the C64.

I sometimes fire up a C64 emulator just for a half hour blast through things. Clumsy Colin: Action Biker is one I can complete first time even today. Same, ironically enough, with Impossible Mission.

I was unbeatable by either AI or Human on Super Sprint on the Amiga and the brilliant Ferrari Formula One.

Gran Turismo 3

This came along at a time where I had the time to get really good at a game and I was obsessed with it. 

I played it so much that I reached the point where I could gold all the licence tests first time - this verged on a rhythm action game, it was essentially a question of the right input at the right time. Since I had a couple of memory cards, I kept an "ideal start" save - all licences gold with minimum days played - which I would copy onto my main card and work my way through the game from the start.

Even without the cars awarded for getting gold on all licences, I could play through the game from the start with minimal buys - only using prize cars to enter races (there were a couple of cars you needed but couldn't win) and doing minimal tuning (as you got into the final sets of races, you had to tune, and sometimes max out, your car to be even vaguely competitive). Some race series were absolute slogs and some were just stupidly hard because the AI pretty much straight up cheated, so I only actually did those ones a few times. But  everything else I could walk through...

And all this was done with a Dual Shock, not a wheel.

4 hours ago, Plissken said:

Chalk up another who mastered Wizball on the C64.

I sometimes fire up a C64 emulator just for a half hour blast through things. Clumsy Colin: Action Biker is one I can complete first time even today. Same, ironically enough, with Impossible Mission.

I was unbeatable by either AI or Human on Super Sprint on the Amiga and the brilliant Ferrari Formula One.

I'm not sure I ever finished Clumsy Colin. It was usually the jumps that I fucked up on.

Wizball, I could finish without losing a life. And Impossible Mission.

My best friend at school got obsessed with Armalyte and got his high score in Zzap! 64. 

Ridge Racer V. The Maximum GP needs a perfect run to complete. It's outrageously tough but I managed it.

Winning Eleven PS2. When Winning Eleven swapped to PS2 I was so good my mates made me play with a crappy team. I chose Japan because of the mad FK seen in the intro by a young Nakamura. This is also partly how I got into supporting Japan. 

Axelay. I could beat it without dying on hard. One of the few shmups I could do.

On 15/01/2019 at 20:14, Mitchell said:

I remember spending my bus fare (10p!) on trying to complete Double Dragon with a mate at a funfair...when we got to the end and had to fight each other, it blew our tiny minds. 

Although it made the walk home quite awkward.

Did you complete it using cheap mode of elbow or backwards flying kick?  

Sometimes I used to get obsessed with crap, objectively terrible games. House of Usher was one we had on the Commodore 64.

I learnt every single unfair jump in that game and how to time everything perfectly dealing with the poor collision that led to you falling through platforms. The only slightly random part - where it was possible to lose a life - was room 3 with the cannon balls. At the end you can learn one letter (via a hangman style guess) from the “secret code word”.

Eventually, after playing through multiple times you find the secret word is Baltimore. But it doesn’t do anything - you can’t enter it anywhere. Out of desperation, I played through it 9 times in a row without messing up - or losing a life - each time selecting the next correct letter  - and... nothing. 

I’ve still got the horrible music and sound effects etched into my mind - the way the jumping changes pitch depending on how high you are - arrghh!

On 15/01/2019 at 14:58, Fallows said:

Ridge Racer Revolution

GoldenEye

Perfect Dark

F-Zero for GBA

F-Zero GX

Gradius V

Lost Planet

MGR: Revengeance

Umm.. Took me 19 hours to get the Platinum on Bloodborne, but that didn't take much in terms of mastery.

Does WoW PvP count? Our 3v3 team was the highest ranked Warlock/Paladin/DeathKnight in Europe for most of seasons 6 & 7.

Working on:
Bayonetta

R-Type

You have great taste in games to master.

For me?

Super Mario Kart

Yoshi's Island

Mario World

Fzero

Starfox

Mario Kart 64

F-Zero X

Starfox64

Wave Race

GoldenEye

Ridge Racer Type 4

Can't remember what else but at those games above? I will destroy anyone!

I did get pretty obssessed with F-Zero X to the point I decided to win every cup with every character on the highest difficulty. Including the X cup and with 30 characters that meant completing it 150 times. In the process I obviously got pretty handy at barging round corners and smashing adversaries off the track. Whether it's mastery or not is another thing though, as I hardly did any time trialling. As for F-Zero GX, I gave up after a few hours - too difficult.

Also the first Fire Emblem on GBA. My approach was always to do a level 'perfectly' (getting all treasure, stealing all items, saving NPCs and villages, recruiting new characters etc.) and maximising XP along the way. I've finished it on Normal and Hard with both characters this way.

Sega’s Rad Mobile in the arcade. I’ve only played it about four times, but on each of those times I completed the thing on one credit. It’s the only time in my life when I felt anything remotely like a real gamer. Had a crowd of people watching me too! 

Fear on the 360. Got the achievement for beating the game without slow mo and without dying, using less than 500 rounds of ammo and was ranked #7 in the world at multiplayer. Still never got those 1000 points mind .. multiplayer achievements became impossible, 1000 ranked games after gears of war came out? spent more time sitting in the lobby. Great fun though, really enjoyable game to replay due to the near absence of cutscenes and insane action setpieces one after the other.

Max Payne 3 is another one I got about 900 points for, again, MP achievements ruined the party.

https://www.trueachievements.com/game/FEAR/achievements?gamerid=2833

1 hour ago, JoeK said:

Sega’s Rad Mobile in the arcade. I’ve only played it about four times, but on each of those times I completed the thing on one credit. It’s the only time in my life when anything remotely like a real gamer. Had a crowd of people watching me too! 

I could one credit that game too but I used the brown armco stage skip cheat :lol:

12 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

I did get pretty obssessed with F-Zero X to the point I decided to win every cup with every character on the highest difficulty. Including the X cup and with 30 characters that meant completing it 150 times. In the process I obviously got pretty handy at barging round corners and smashing adversaries off the track. Whether it's mastery or not is another thing though, as I hardly did any time trialling. As for F-Zero GX, I gave up after a few hours - too difficult.

Also the first Fire Emblem on GBA. My approach was always to do a level 'perfectly' (getting all treasure, stealing all items, saving NPCs and villages, recruiting new characters etc.) and maximising XP along the way. I've finished it on Normal and Hard with both characters this way.

The issue had with GX was that the handling just wasn’t as good as on X.

Not sure if it was the GC pad but the ships were just too twitchy as standard compared to X where everything just seemed progressive. You knew how far you could take each ship. GX was all over the place.

X is simply the best futuristic racer full stop. I would love a straight HD remaster 

I think there is an age thing going on here, with a lot of us being at an age where we had few games to play and played things over and over...

Super Mario Kart.

I reached the point where I was trying to manipulate the result with weapons for the lead to give me a bigger points gap at the top. Used to play time trial against my dad, started off on the Mario Circuits, but moved in through the game.

Tetris and Dr Mario (SNES) 

Again, recording high scores against my dad.

F-Zero 

F-Zero X

Waverace 

Goldeneye, all cheats, didn't do sliders all the way up mind.

More recently, PGR3, platinumed, was in the top 50 in some time trials.

More recently than that.. I  barely finish a game nowadays, never mind master it :S

14 minutes ago, probotector said:

To be honest, GX level texturing and resolution would be enough...then again Mario Kart 8 kinda perfected how fzero should look in today’s era and it is glorious 

I don't want it to look like GX. It looks great but I'd love it to keep a simpler style. 

Wii Sports Club Baseball was a genuinely good game that almost nobody played, and, seemingly, even fewer understood, so it *felt* like total mastery playing it online. It let you do absolutely filthy pitching, which was complete overkill because nobody online seemed to know the rules of baseball and would swing at literally every pitch (however many miles it was out of the strike zone). *Everybody* swung at the high inside splitter. You could also change to pitching submarine style in the middle of an at bat to even further mess them up. And batting had a mechanic (like Wii Sports Baseball, I think) where if you could make their pitcher throw enough pitches they'd start sweating and occasionally just auto-throw a slow fastball straight over the plate. Because I understood this, and have read Moneyball and therefore liked role-playing a team that kills pitchers' arms, I would make every at-bat last at least three pitches and often foul off more, thereby getting loads of runs at the end (if the mercy rule hadn't already kicked in). I definitely never lost a game and I'm not sure anyone ever got a hit off me. It was a strange experience.

13 minutes ago, panda_t said:

Wii Sports Club Baseball was a genuinely good game that almost nobody played, and, seemingly, even fewer understood, so it *felt* like total mastery playing it online. It let you do absolutely filthy pitching, which was complete overkill because nobody online seemed to know the rules of baseball and would swing at literally every pitch (however many miles it was out of the strike zone). *Everybody* swung at the high inside splitter. You could also change to pitching submarine style in the middle of an at bat to even further mess them up. And batting had a mechanic (like Wii Sports Baseball, I think) where if you could make their pitcher throw enough pitches they'd start sweating and occasionally just auto-throw a slow fastball straight over the plate. Because I understood this, and have read Moneyball and therefore liked role-playing a team that kills pitchers' arms, I would make every at-bat last at least three pitches and often foul off more, thereby getting loads of runs at the end (if the mercy rule hadn't already kicked in). I definitely never lost a game and I'm not sure anyone ever got a hit off me. It was a strange experience.

Is that the Wii U game?

On 15/01/2019 at 18:30, CovisGod said:

Borderlands 2, Completed it atleast 8 times, on every difficulty, including True Vault Hunter and Ultimate Vault Hunter mode

This.

Also The Golf Club, to the point I won a tournament and regularly got top 5/10 against the best players in the world, and also Virtua Tennis 2 and 3, never lost a 1 v 1 against family or friends either in the same room or online, and globally I reached 11th in the world on 3 and was constantly matching against the very best (the top 3/4 were a whole next level). Curtis pushed me very very close though but my Nadal was a rock.

2 hours ago, probotector said:

X is simply the best futuristic racer full stop. I would love a straight HD remaster 

2 hours ago, nakamura said:

I'd love a remaster of X, same gameplay but just up the detail and draw distance. 

Yes, exactly. The only thing you could really improve about it is the visuals, and I wouldn't want it to go too far with that anyway.

I know F-Zero doesn't sell in massive numbers but they don't have to make a new one, just do this.

Unirally. Completely sucked it dry until it was just an empty husk. I remember renting that game multiple times and friends/schoolkids in the neighbourhood getting pissed with my name everywhere in the cartridge. Did it all again when I bought my own copy though mostly as a single player game as no-one would even attempt to challenge me. It's also the main reason I adore the first three SSXs.

Next to that, Super Metroid and Zero Mission? I don't regard myself as a master as I'm not a speedrunner, but every time someone watches over my shoulder I just hear words like "madman", "crazy", etc. Let's put those down as "proficient".