Popo

Have you ever completely mastered a game?

My son took out Margaret on hard in P4G. I reckon that counts.

Yeah I'm already vicariously living through him. I was shit in my prime.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Couch Corpse said:

I could one credit Shinobi back in the day.

I remember spending my bus fare (10p!) on trying to complete Double Dragon with a mate at a funfair...when we got to the end and had to fight each other, it blew our tiny minds. 

Although it made the walk home quite awkward.

• Upvote 4

Mass Effect 2.

Finished it on insanity. 

I'd argue, also, Elite Dangerous. I own the top three ships in the game (Corvette, Cutter, Anaconda). I may not have been to the Sagittarius A or Colonia, but I have been as close to the edge of the galaxy as I can, in the Formidine Rift, and have joined the Distant Worlds 2 initiative. I know this game. 

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, Couch Corpse said:

I could one credit Shinobi back in the day.

Me too, with a rake of hand to hand bonuses. This is probably about as close as I’ve got to mastering any game. 

Where did you play it? My cab of choice was in the arcade with the yellow amusements sign on the quays a couple of doors down from what was the harp bar. 

• Upvote 1

The first year I lived in Italy I had a DS and Ouendan 1 and 2. I remember getting to the point where I was rarely missing a beat on the hardest difficulties - and I'm usually crap at rhythm action games.

• Upvote 2

Without really intending to do so I got a deep enough understanding of Circle of the Moon that I knew the rare and common drops and locations of all of the enemies and could basically pillage the map at ease. It was my first and for a while only GBA game and I kept going back to it even when I had Advance Wars. I should've written an FAQ, really.

Mastered it, but not too bright. I originally missed the section of the game that gives you the item that makes the poison water not-poisonous, which I discovered during the end-game item hunt. My first Metroidvania was my first sequence break!

For some reason Quake II on the PS1 became one of those games I just did runs of now and then, even when I had other games on the go. Just fire up hard difficulty and do a 100% run with all the secrets. Very soothing.

That's it really. My gaming skill peaked twenty years ago.

• Upvote 2

Yie Ar Kung-Fu on the Spectrum. I used to be able to loop it indefinitely. Probably not that impressive though.

Shaolin's Road (arcade). Top 10 (20?) on Game Room. A real sense of Zen when that game clicks.

Barnstorming (Atari 2600). Became obsessed with getting the unlock for this on Activision Anthology and finally managed it after playing the same simple level over and over again for about 5 hours one night. Thing is, the unlock is widely reported incorrectly. You have to actually complete it a fair bit quicker for it to unlock. Once I'd done it, I looked up the world record and I was a tiny fraction of a second from beating it. Not sure I could ever play it again :(

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Theholyhogg said:

I did pretty well on trackmania turbo,at one point i was number one in the world on some of the tracks.

I was getting similarly high rankings on Trackmania after a couple of days of play. I didn't dedicate much time or energy to it at all, so at the time I concluded that there probably weren't very many people playing. :lol:

• Upvote 1

PES6 over 800 games online on xbox 360 without losing, all the more impressive given the fact people could make the game freeze in the pause menu to make you quit, I left my console on for 3 days once.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

Lots of stuff I think, I usually just play one thing for ages until I feel like I'm done with it.

Mario World I've got 97 exits on probably 20 times. I know that game inside out.

Spent months beating all the dev times on CTR to unlock... something.

Did MGS2 on all difficulties including European Extreme and collected all dog tags.

I know the maps on GTA3 and Vice City perfectly and can still navigate to anywhere on them without needing waypoints. 

I've done every quest in Skyrim and created 7 or 8 high level characters who are functional invincible.

I've completed Dark Souls about 30 times, platinumed it 3 times and can tell you the location of every item in the game.

Did Bloodborne on NG+6 with no summons. I know the whole map for this one as well, have a character over level 300 with 50+ in all stats.

I've learned all three of the maps and most of the guns in PUBG over the last year.

Maybe more? I'm pretty obsessive.

• Upvote 4

I got really quite good at Super Monkey Ball on the GC, to the point where I could do a lot of the crazy shortcuts / skips.   Such a great game!

(this isn't me, but I could pull off a lot of the stuff here:)

(Omg dat music is so nostalgic <3)

I was also pretty good at House of the Dead 2 on Dreamcast.  That was such a great game. 

Oh an Crazy Taxi, I could have a single go that'd last about 45 mins on that (though googling that finds people playing for about 2 hours for world records :blink: )

• Upvote 4

17 hours ago, James Lyon said:

I completed Earth Defense Force 2017 on Inferno (hardest difficulty mode). Is that a true level of mastery? It was certainly gruelling.

I can also do 9-5 in Game B on Game Boy Tetris. Always a pleasure seeing that shuttle launch.

GameBoy Tetris for me too. Such a great feeling to be able to start L9 H5 and know you're able to react quickly enough to have a chance. I'd probably have a stroke if I tried it now.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Broker said:

Lots of stuff I think, I usually just play one thing for ages until I feel like I'm done with it.

Mario World I've got 97 exits on probably 20 times. I know that game inside out.

For someone who has finished mario world 20 times, you really should know there are only 96 exits :lol:

• Upvote 8

Probably my best one was Zuma; was top of the XBL leaderboards for a while. This lead to lots of random friend requests and one very random offer of someone giving me £100 worth of Microsoft points to logon to their account and get all the achievements on it for them.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, gooner4life said:

PES6 over 800 games online on xbox 360 without losing, all the more impressive given the fact people could make the game freeze in the pause menu to make you quit, I left my console on for 3 days once.

This for me as well, although I didn't have the patience to wait out the cheats. I'd get into the top 100 on the leaderboard, at which point every game would be against a cheat and I'd plummet down the rankings.

• Upvote 1

I was really, really good at F-Zero X. I unlocked all the things, beat every cup multiple times at maximum difficulty, and doggedly topped every time trial score in every magazine I could find. I will never be that good at a game again, and I'll pretend that's because I can't be bothered instead of admitting that I'm not the young man I was. Years later I was sad to find that I was really, really shit at F-Zero GX :P

I was going to add N64 Goldeneye to this (unlocked all the cheats etc) until I saw the videos earlier in this thread - bloody hell!

• Upvote 1

Definition of mastery to me usually is just getting all achievements these days, but for retro stuff it's become more so 'can I do a decent speed run of this title?' And if the answer is yes, that's the status of mastery for me.

There is also yet another higher level of mastery of course, and that's fiddling with the code itself to understand how it works, make rom hacks and so on. Those players are the elite of the elite. Also known as the Sonic Mania devs.

• Upvote 1

Probably all platinums on Blast Corps is the only time I can claim to have been genuinely good at any game. Maybe Diddy Kong Racing as well.

• Upvote 3

I was pretty much unbeatable on the SNES Mario Kart. I could nail the fast start every time and hit the Ghost Valley shortcut if I had a feather or mushroom. Gold on all tracks with all characters. Good times.

• Upvote 2

I too got all platinums in Blast Corps back in the day, doubt I’d have the patience for it now though. 

I played Velocity 2X to death, I think I’ve dropped to the second highest overall (legit) score on the leaderboards and used to have the record in speedrunning it (before someone else did it (on PC, with its faster load times)!)

Time Crisis 1 and 2 I knew like the back of my hands and I got very good at Point Blank 1 and 2 as well. 

I thought I was excellent at Tetris, and in 2017 got 2nd in a PuyoPuyo Tetris swap tournament pretty much from Tetris skills alone. That loss triggered a journey of discovery and I found out so much more than I ever thought existed. This cumulated recently in breaking the million point mark in non-endless marathon mode (28th in the world on the Tetris Effect leaderboards at the time, and highest GBR player). I still wouldn’t say I mastered it though, but I’m going to leave it here anyway.

• Upvote 5

Not sure i have mastered any game well enough to not die through it but there are a few. Also, i tried speedrunning for a bit so got pretty good at a few games.

Mario Kart SNES 

The Terminator MD (can finish this in 15 minutes!)

Castle of Illusion MD

Buster Busts Loose SNES

Super Mario World SNES (i recently replayed this and only couldn't remember one exit).

Resident Evil 4

Super Mario Odyssey (can finish this in about 90 minutes).

Diddy Kong Racing N64 (i probably suck now).

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, robdood said:

I got really quite good at Super Monkey Ball on the GC, to the point where I could do a lot of the crazy shortcuts / skips.   Such a great game!

(this isn't me, but I could pull off a lot of the stuff here:)

(Omg dat music is so nostalgic <3)

Did you ever post on the Monkey Ball forum, which doubled as the world record page? It’s no longer there sadly.

I got up to 4th in the world at one stage, although I’m not sure that was a fair reflection of my skill. I did get a few untied world records back in the day though. Pretty sure they’re all saved on a card somewhere in my house. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, hellsbells said:

Did you ever post on the Monkey Ball forum, which doubled as the world record page? It’s no longer there sadly.

I got up to 4th in the world at one stage, although I’m not sure that was a fair reflection of my skill. I did get a few untied world records back in the day though. Pretty sure they’re all saved on a card somewhere in my house. 

Nah I didnt join any communities for it, I was quite happy competing solo!