Popo

Have you ever completely mastered a game?

As a kid I was off sick and played Defender on a borrowed Atari until I had so many extra lives I couldn't ever lose.

It was many years ago so my memory may be tainted and I'm sure someone will be along momentarilly to tell me such a thing wasn't possible.

• Upvote 1

Ridge Racer Revolution

GoldenEye

Perfect Dark

F-Zero for GBA

F-Zero GX

Gradius V

Lost Planet

MGR: Revengeance

Umm.. Took me 19 hours to get the Platinum on Bloodborne, but that didn't take much in terms of mastery.

Does WoW PvP count? Our 3v3 team was the highest ranked Warlock/Paladin/DeathKnight in Europe for most of seasons 6 & 7.

Working on:
Bayonetta

R-Type

• Upvote 4

Chuckie Egg and Thrust on the BBC Micro. I don't know about completely mastering them but I could get to the third loop on both of them.

By that point on Thrust, after having done all the levels twice, second time with reverse gravity, the walls were invisible and you had to use your bullets as a kind of sonar - I could still get a few levels in but once you got to the bit with the doors and you couldn't see if they were open or closed I was done.

Chuckie Egg's third loop the big bird started out of its cage and moved at double speed. Nightmarish scenes.

• Upvote 1

I think my fastest time in the F-Zero X Death race was faster than the current world record, but unfortunately because I'm an idiot I sold the cart ages ago.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 2

I once borrowed Mercs from a friend.

51pQyMIqKXL.jpg.dae3ea376fe5eb4b7512fbb093a8bf45.jpg

I wasn’t into shooters much, and for the first week or two I died on the first level, every time. I was shit at it, and I wasn’t really enjoying it.

But, bored with my own games, I persevered. Then one session I just ‘got’ the game. There was a rhythm to the enemies’ bullets, and once you’d clocked their speed and patterns, and also got a feel for your own speed of movement, it was actually pretty easy.

Mercs_(Arc)_25.png.051b68f04625a08a4fe7b5ec25e90959.png

MERCS_180.png.28dcee579966011180be72ae1c8d839e.png

So I guess you could say I mastered it - I could beat the whole thing without taking a single hit (hmmmm... maybe the odd one, but I definitely never lost a life!). And I enjoyed doing it again and again, getting different weapon upgrades and toying with the enemy soldiers.

Loved it!

• Upvote 5

Ghouls'n'Ghosts. 

I played it so much, twice through for the proper ending, that I could do it in one life. Think I even got pretty far playing with my feet once.

The trick to getting the bonus at the end of a level was to pull back on the stick the moment you caught the key. My friends never figured out how I did that.

• Upvote 7

Rainbow Islands.

All the way through on one credit, diamonds in the correct order, secret rooms - then the secret levels and then three mirrors once it was complete.

• Upvote 7

I could do Time Crisis 2 in one credit, and Metal Slug up to the final boss at least. Think I managed to go through Ghouls N Ghosts twice in three or fewer, but don't remember the specifics.

• Upvote 2

WWF Wrestlemania 2000 and No Mercy on the N64.

The former had a bare-bones season mode of 60 matches which I just used to play over and over relentlessly with even the weakest create-a-character to give the CPU a chance. In the latter there was a survival mode, essentially a triple Royal Rumble, as well as the massive career mode which I completed (no small task given the branching storylines and THAT fucking glitch from the early cartridges). 

I learnt every move's reversal point and beat my brother and cousins so much they refused to play it (I never finished matches early, I always pissed about for as long as possible). I just really liked the mechanics, it may have looked blocky but there was rock-solid gameplay behind it.

• Upvote 4

Super Mario World. I've played it so much I don't really have to think at all when playing it, I just do it instinctively. I played it through from the beginning a couple of weeks ago and got to Chocolate Island before I died for the first time.

• Upvote 3

I completed Earth Defense Force 2017 on Inferno (hardest difficulty mode). Is that a true level of mastery? It was certainly gruelling.

I can also do 9-5 in Game B on Game Boy Tetris. Always a pleasure seeing that shuttle launch.

• Upvote 1

Invisible Inc was the most recent. I decided to get the platinum trophy, which meant finishing on Expert + level and surviving on endless mode for ages. The only way to do that is take full advantage of certain items (it's the cloaking devices), because the guards become ridiculously overpowered after a while. I still play it occassionally, although I struggle on the highest difficulties now,.

I was in the top 50 overall on Motorstorm RC last time I played it. Probably not a game played by that many people admittedly.

And many years ago, Fantasy Zone 2 on the Master System. For some reason I would complete it over and over again, in exactly the same way each time, always without losing a life.

• Upvote 1

Oof yes, I remember Wrestlemania 2000 on the N64 - I never got close to mastery but I did beat the Undertaker, who was the last fight if I remember right. I felt like I’d gone through a Rocky-style journey to become the champ, I never thought I’d get there because he was tougher than old boots. 

• Upvote 2

My flatmate at university got to the stage where he was playing Goldeneye on 007 Agent mode with all the sliders set to maximum, so that it took ten headshots to kill each guard, every shot they fired was 100% accurate, one hit killed you, and they reacted to your presence immediately. He never completed the game on this mode because I doubt this is even possible – how would you do the cradle or the control room on that setting? – but he managed to complete every level up to Frigate. This is pretty amazing given that you get ten bullets from killing each guard, so you had to never miss and get headshots with every single round fired against an entire level of impossibly competent killing machines.

I don’t know if he could be said to have mastered the game because he never got the invincibility cheat, but that’s mainly because we lied to him and told him that you had listen to the entire conversation with Dr Doak, rather than just the start.

• Upvote 6

17 minutes ago, Popo said:

Oof yes, I remember Wrestlemania 2000 on the N64 - I never got close to mastery but I did beat the Undertaker, who was the last fight if I remember right. I felt like I’d gone through a Rocky-style journey to become the champ, I never thought I’d get there because he was tougher than old boots. 

Yes, the last fight is the Undertaker at WM2000 in a cage. It felt really intimidating coming up against him before you learned the true intricacies of the game, he seemed to reverse everything and it took a fair bit to make him stay down. 

(Ignore Stone Cold's weird headbutt nut-shots.)

• Upvote 1

A few games that immediately come to mind are Lylat Wars/Starfox 64, Mortal Kombat 4 and CS:GO.

Starfox 64, at the time, was one of my most anticipated thing in the history of things (I reckon I was a bout 12). I ended up paying a total of 170 Dutch Guilders (about €80 now I think?) for, what turned out to be, an import copy from a retail store. The clerk actually gave me a discount on the adaptor that was required to play the damn thing because he could see how desperate I was to play the game (honestly I was so clueless and excited at the time that I just figured it was necessary because of the sheer power of the graphics lol). Anyway I played that fucker for months on end and at a certain point pretty much knew all the timings and moves of the enemies, I was familiar with all the secret routes, I memorised all the voice lines and basically knew the game inside out. It was the best 170 Guilders I've ever spent! :P

(Oddly enough I never played the 3DS version much... )

Mortal Kombat 4 on N64 was a game I managed to beat on the hardest difficulty against the hardest tier of enemies with ease. I know I know for purists MK4 isn't even a blip on their radar but for me it was one of the rare occasions where I was unbeatable at a fighting game. Friends quickly gave up and stopped playing against me as I knew all the cheap tricks and had developed entire strings of combos without the help from magazines or the like. It was great. :D

Finally then CSGO... after 1100 hours I managed to reach the top rank in multiplayer "Global Elite". Something I was rather proud of considering that even at my age I'm considered 'old' in the community. I've given it a break for about a year and a half now; mostly because of the toxic community and how the stress of the game started to wear me out but am now slowly starting to get back at it with a different mind set. Even though I take it far less seriously now I still can't deny that the allure of ranking up is just too enticing. Not sure if I'll ever reach Global again (your rank decays after you've stopped playing for a while) but I'd certainly like to give it another try. Especially now that they've spruced up the rank icons! 

• Upvote 2

Time crisis 1 and 2. At one point I pretty much one where every enemy was coming at any point. 

Point Blank as well (such a great arcade game). Used to love the falling leaf and Apple on the head stages. 

• Upvote 2

I got the platinum on Hotline Miami on the Vita. That took some doing, although the game had such a fantastic rhythm to it that I enjoyed doing it. Made me feel like Neo.

I also got the platinum on MGS Ground Zeroes, which I really enjoyed, moreso than V.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, K said:

My flatmate at university got to the stage where he was playing Goldeneye on 007 Agent mode with all the sliders set to maximum, so that it took ten headshots to kill each guard, every shot they fired was 100% accurate, one hit killed you, and they reacted to your presence immediately. He never completed the game on this mode because I doubt this is even possible – how would you do the cradle or the control room on that setting? – but he managed to complete every level up to Frigate. This is pretty amazing given that you get ten bullets from killing each guard, so you had to never miss and get headshots with every single round fired against an entire level of impossibly competent killing machines.

I don’t know if he could be said to have mastered the game because he never got the invincibility cheat, but that’s mainly because we lied to him and told him that you had listen to the entire conversation with Dr Doak, rather than just the start.

Yes, it's possible to complete every level on what the fans call Dark LTK mode, with all difficulty sliders to maximum!

Here's Control: it relies on a lot of luck to get enemies to pull out grenades at the right time (explosions are still instant kills on enemies, even with Enemy Health at 1000%), and it also relies on the fact that the Enemy Health slider also increases Natalya's HP. Plus in this case he's playing on the Japanese version, which unlike the US/EU versions retains the extra body armour pickups from the lower difficulties (not that that provides a huge amount of protection when Enemy Damage is 1000%).

https://rankings.the-elite.net/goldeneye/ltk

Silo Dark LTK is particularly unforgiving due to its time limit. It was the last level completed on Dark LTK (with 1 second to spare, in true Bond style!), and still only four people have ever done it. This is the current record - skip to the 4 minute mark for some nice aiming through the gap in an opening door, and to 7:10 where he attracts a huge crowd of guards before killing all of them at once with a blind grenade throw!

• Upvote 8

Hmm, my only platinum is for Bloodborne but that's fairly do-able if you're into the combat and gameplay. I've 1CC'ed Deathsmiles but again, it's not impossible if you have a good route planned.

Given my love for P4 you'd think I'd have done everything, but I often ignore sidequests, drop the difficulty for a superboss and finish with an incomplete S.Link list and compendium. Even so, a lot of my love for the game comes from "mastering" the elemental weakness system and coming up with daft skill and equipment setups so that you flatten enemies in a handful of turns. :wub:

I was pretty happy when I completed the Viewtiful Joe spin-off Double Trouble on V-Rated; from what I know, the difficulty doesn't go higher than that in the DS game. I think the major differences in the difficulties were that attacks took off more hearts, so you had to make your dodges count - this made succeeding all the more satisfying because you barely got touched. It's hardly the hardest game - most of it's just recognising attack patterns and cues - but dancing around lethal blows is still very satisfying.

• Upvote 1