IGNORED

Fitness Boxing

Stanley

71QglqVaYgL._SY445_.jpg.429a6dd45aec4d5f5fdf230536559ce1.jpg

I've had this for a week now and I've been doing the daily workout each day and just wondered if anyone else is interested in this type of thing.

It's a fairly basic package which is more of a rhythm action game than anything with the aim of also burning a few calories and toning your body. You can change the duration, intensity, complexity of the routines, you string together combos, get points and bonuses for perfect punches and so on.

I think it's pretty enjoyable tbh. I go running a fair amount and have other fitness routines so this is just a bit of fun to mix things up. It defintely works, it gets me moving and sweating and I can feel my muscles being worked.

I'd have liked some other modes such as sparring or a punch bag even, I think it's quite lacking in that respect, but what is there is good and makes excellent use of dual joycons.

So whilst we wait for the full Switch Fit which I'm sure is coming it fills the gap nicely. Anyone else interested in this kind of thing, even on other platforms, fitness apps etc? As said the dual joycons work really well and puts the Switch in a fairly unique position, hopefully we'll see more games/apps making use of it.

I tried the demo and it’s fine for what it is but the lame quality of the Bad Romance cover sealed its fate. No deal. I ain’t tolerating that insult twice.

Now if they had paid for proper tracks and made Lola Pop from Arms the instructor, we might be talking about a GOTY.

Yes if you come to this expecting proper songs you'll be disappointed as it's just instrumental covers. Tbh I'm not bothered by that, it's just something to help me keep my rhythm and during the actual workouts I don't think about it at all. Guest ARMS instructors would be cool though!

40 minutes ago, parrapatheslapper said:

Yeah a Switch Fit could do big numbers and good to hear how was it works with the joycons.  I guess them been that bit smaller helps.  How much is the full price release?

£39.99 which seems a little steep to me, there is a demo though.  

I'm currently using EA Sports Active 2 on PS3 for a home workout routine. You get three sensors which you strap to your arms and one leg to monitor your movements. There's also a resistance band in the box, although it's a bit rubbish so I put a better one. It works better than I expected, although it's never completely accurate. You can definitely build up a sweat if you follow what it wants you to do, though.

It's got it's on boxing activity in which you punch targets to the left or right. It's fun, mostly because it's one of the less strenuous exercises. It doesn't come around too often. It makes you do bloody mountain climbers instead.

A pity they didn't keep it up for modern consoles. I quite like it as a way to do something physical while also pretending to game at the same time.

• 1 month later...

2 months in and I'm still doing this 3-4 times a week, I tend to go for the 25 min daily workout, strength and cardio, as the longer ones are overkill. 

It seems to be making a difference, I can definitely see more muscle definition in my arms and upper body, and it's much less boring than doing push ups. 

Anyway, pretty impressed, as you progress some of the moves and combos it strings together get quite complex as it has you ducking, weaving, blocking etc. It's a lot of fun :)

On 15/01/2019 at 17:25, James Lyon said:

I'm currently using EA Sports Active 2 on PS3 for a home workout routine. You get three sensors which you strap to your arms and one leg to monitor your movements. There's also a resistance band in the box, although it's a bit rubbish so I put a better one. It works better than I expected, although it's never completely accurate. You can definitely build up a sweat if you follow what it wants you to do, though.

It's got it's on boxing activity in which you punch targets to the left or right. It's fun, mostly because it's one of the less strenuous exercises. It doesn't come around too often. It makes you do bloody mountain climbers instead.

A pity they didn't keep it up for modern consoles. I quite like it as a way to do something physical while also pretending to game at the same time.

I’ve got the original for Kinect on the 360, it was pretty good in its day as long as the play space was big enough. Came with a bulky heart rate monitor which I’m tempted to compare to a Fitbit for accuracy. 

Yeah you unlock new moves which takes a while to unlock them all, new songs too, and the rest is cosmetic for your trainers and there's a few of them. You'll do different workouts every time, it's pretty varied, you have a fitness age rating, calories burned etc. 

• 1 year later...

Registering certain moves moves in quick fire succession is a pain in the arse. Things like weaves and blocks when going at full pelt do not register occasionally. It’s like the tracking from the gyros can take a split moment to catch up which causes you to miss. But it works 95% of the time. And although it causes a four letter explicative from me as long as you’re doing the move correctly then you’re getting the benefit of the movement. 

Best fitness anything I’ve invested in. I picked it up just before lockdown and have been using it religiously. One 45min full body workout 5/6 times a week. I’ve shed all my excess weight, toned up my body and have abs from using this. It’s been too successful as I’m having to eat much more to maintain my current weight. I’m going to use weighted straps on my wrists and ankles next to make it more intense and to build up muscle. 

I am unable to make it register a duck or weave at all. I literally score zero so i have been into the training and nope. I can make it work if i just drop my arms but this isn’t ideal.

i can score all the punches in case i come across as too much of a cabbage

just adding this as a chat: years ago when i was still fit as a fiddle from triathlon i went to a boxercise class. First circuit i was punching like superman. Second circuit, hmmm. Third circuit i was weak as a kitten. It was incredible how my strength disappeared so so quickly 

You need to basically squat to duck so make sure you’re doing the full movement and lowering your upper body, weaves are similar but with a tilt left or right - don’t stress too much about it though as @Oh Danny Boy says you’ll still get the benefit of the workout  even it if doesn’t register some moves, it is frustrating though. 

14 minutes ago, Jonnysaxc said:

I am unable to make it register a duck or weave at all. I literally score zero so i have been into the training and nope. I can make it work if i just drop my arms but this isn’t ideal.

i can score all the punches in case i come across as too much of a cabbage

just adding this as a chat: years ago when i was still fit as a fiddle from triathlon i went to a boxercise class. First circuit i was punching like superman. Second circuit, hmmm. Third circuit i was weak as a kitten. It was incredible how my strength disappeared so so quickly 

My advice is make sure that your hands are raised in boxing position. The sudden drop from the height is what makes it register. It also has to be a sudden drop and raise, not graduated, one quick sharp movement down and up, that will cause the gyros to vibrate and register the move. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for this advice @Oh Danny Boy, it has made all the difference - I only miss a few weaves here and there now instead of literally missing Every duck, weave and dodge. I think it would have been really fun to train properly in boxing if I had my time again. The first few times I had to weave I nearly fell over (!)

-----------

After todays session I offered to wash Sakura's gym kit as I have just bought a new washing machine but she declined my offer of a full load. Then she quipped that my jabs were so good I could take a class of my own and we shared a good laugh together!

She is looking to open a gym of her own soon and wondered if I could lend her some money to get started, naturally I was delighted.

Things are hotting up indeed, let's keep going at this pace!

I can vouch for this, been using it regularly over lockdown and I’ve lost a stone, no changes to my diet at all.

It must be doing something right as I return to it every day. Or maybe I’m just a slave to routine. Either way, we’ll worth the 35 quid.