rllmuk
linkster

Cinema Paradiso - Disc rental service

Given the various threads about the splintering of streaming services I've been pondering giving disc rental another go 

Given it's 10 years since last used LoveFilm for this, does anyone have recommendations?

I found Cinema Paradiso which offers unliimited rentals including Blu-Ray for under a tenner

8 minutes ago, Black Cat Supremacist said:

I used Cinema Paradiso before to get what UHD blu rays I could off them. No issues at all, will use again.

Have signed up for free trial, nowt to lose

Put Leave No Trace at top of list :D

Been adding my requests to the list, in order:

1. Leave no Trace
  2. Veronica Mars (S1)
  3. Hotel Artemis
  4. First Reformed
  5. American Animals
  6. Isle of Dogs
  7. Sicario 2
  8. Mandy
  9. Unsane
  10. Yardie
  11. Matangi / Maya / M.I.A
  12. Tracks
  13. Where to Invade Next
  14. Christopher Robin

When they send out discs you don't always get your first choices. I'm on the 4 discs per month subscription I usually get 2 from my top 5.

1 minute ago, gospvg said:

When they send out discs you don't always get your first choices. I'm on the 4 discs per month subscription I usually get 2 from my top 5.

yeah I'm familiar with how they work, used to use Lovefilm many moons ago, feels weird to think now this is a more appealing option than streaming :(

Just now, linkster said:

yeah I'm familiar with how they work, used to use Lovefilm many moons ago, feels weird to think now this is a more appealing option than streaming :(

I still watch some new films via streaming if on offer on google play etc for 99p

But mainly stick with CP, you get the quality with a blu-ray disc & all the extras.

2 minutes ago, gospvg said:

I still watch some new films via streaming if on offer on google play etc for 99p

But mainly stick with CP, you get the quality with a blu-ray disc & all the extras.

Yeah this is a follow on thread to me pimping Now TV as being the closest I can find to the kind of movies I'm interested in. Just nowhere near as current as a rental store, and not the quality either.

I'd never heard of Cinema Paradiso until it was recommended in @gospvg's LoveFilm RIP thread in 2017. But even though I missed having a disc rental service last year, I didn't get round to signing up for it until after Christmas, when we had the discussions about DVD usage in the HMV and "Does anyone still use DVDs?" threads.

I prefer having a disc rental service alongside a streaming onewider range of titles; much better-quality subtitles; occasional bonus features; no worrying about whether the thing on your watchlist will vanish from the service without warning.

So far the disc turnaround time does not seem as fast as LoveFilm, and the envelopes seem much flimsier.

1 hour ago, gospvg said:

I'm on the 4 discs per month subscription I usually get 2 from my top 5.

They don't seem to offer that option any more.  It's either 2 per month, or unlimited.  How much are you paying, if you don't mind me asking?

2 per month is £5.19 and unlimited is £9.98.

3 hours ago, catinthehat said:

They don't seem to offer that option any more.  It's either 2 per month, or unlimited.  How much are you paying, if you don't mind me asking?

2 per month is £5.19 and unlimited is £9.98.

£7.38 limit of 4 discs per month with 2 at a time.

i have been using this service for about a month. never used lovefilm or similar previously, as there was a video rental place just down the road before i recently moved.

am impressed.

decent range and that they do 4k discs is saving me loads vs buying them.

i pay 12-something a month for the two discs option - works out at roughly two discs a week therefore roughly 1.50 per rental. never had a scratched disc either, all discs have been mint.

I recently signed up to the Cinema Paradiso service and I'm currently impressed. My subscription is unlimited discs per month having 2 discs at home at a time. This costs just less than £13.00 per month. The current turn around for discs has been pretty good. I generally only watch films on the weekend so I imagine I'll get through on average about 8 films a month. Most titles are available in 4k so I'd say it's pretty decent value. 

Here's a link for 30 days on the service for free.

https://www.cinemaparadiso.co.uk/friends/rp/3ulCEaubCCg1

Enjoy.

Solid user of over a year now. They’re great. I still buy some discs, but they’ve saved me a fortune, and the image and sound quality is of course loads better than streaming 

I’ve reduced my service to 2 discs per month from 4. There is too much to watch on the streaming platforms I could not get through 4 films a month.