CovisGod

Have you ever found a game too hard?

2 hours ago, Fletch said:

Spelunky, I love the game but I've never got past the jungle level and I am in awe of the people who can complete it and get all the really cool secrets.

This is one I played at least 700 times I’d say and only ever got to the (normal)last boss level 3 times. Each time dying for entirely different reasons. I’m sure there are techniques I could pick up from looking online such as attempting to steal from shop keepers successfully which I didn’t do or use the teleport a lot better without ending up in a wall, but I just couldn’t finish it and haven’t played it for a while. I used find the snow level easy to get through with wall boots because you could move around easily. I’d always try and get to the the secret shop levels for bombs.Great game though. 

I don’t think I’ll finish Super Contra on hard but I impressed myself when I finished it on normal last year and then managed to get to the last boss on hard after many many tries and perfecting it. It’s amazing how much you can get better though when you really spend enough time and made me realise how people 1cc ridiculous games. 

Everyone else probably had no bother, but I couldn't finish the final battle in Spiderman 2 (The good one of the film). It was such a ramp up in difficulty compared to the joyful rest of the game, and not being able to say I finished really bothers me. 

2 hours ago, gossi the dog said:

The Garage or the final level?

I managed both. Took me a solid week at least to do the latter.

But I don't usually show that degree of tenacity.

For me, Ghosts and Goblins/Ghouls and Ghosts was notable for being pretty impossible to get anywhere in, so I just bounced off it.

Bloodborne. Loved the environment and so wanted to see more, but I just don't have the patience to learn the systems. Even when I thought I was being cautious, I clearly wasn't cautious enough. Gave up very early on.

Nioh. Same as Bloodborne really and I gave up extremely early on. The opening section was really easy, but I guess that was a tutorial, I can't really remember now, but I think the game started 'properly' after that and I gave up fairly shortly afterwards.

Ninja Gaiden II. Played on 360 and only got as far as the boss fight at the Statue of Liberty. A few attempts I didn't even land a hit on the guy with the stupid hair. Shows how much they dialled it down on Sigma II on PS3 as I finished that and really enjoyed it.

• Upvote 1

The only stuff I find to be "too hard to play" are the old 8-bit and 16-bit games that the publishers deliberately broke to make them impossible to combat the game rental culture of the day. 

e.g.

Contra : Hard Corps US version == impossible. 

Contra : Hard Corps Jap version == good fun challenge.

On 16/04/2004 at 11:10, Unofficial Who said:

Bosses should be fun.

Not this rock hard invincible thing you need to do stupid things to get past.

I'm quite happy to be killed by a boss monster again and again provided the game is still fun.

But when it's hard for hardness sake (to suck quarters or to sell more game guides) forget it.

I still haven't finished Jet Force Gemini because of the hardness of the last boss.

I'm still salty about this 15 years later. (Although less salty now that I've found out about the end of game "reward.")

11 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Ninja Gaiden demo on Xbox. (Sigma?) couldn’t beat the boss in the demo so didn’t buy the game.

Would have been Ninja Gaiden or maybe Ninja Gaiden Black on original Xbox.

• Upvote 2

The Division - I really wanted to like this, great setting and plenty to do. The initial tutorial mission was really really hard, I attempted it multiple times and after a lot of effort managed to get through it. Should have stopped there but I was determined to get it. However once I'd unlocked the HQ and had to start on the missions to rescue people to staff it it just went to shit. Despite trying again and again and again I'd get ambushed, rushed, outgunned. It got to the point where it was no fun at all, just pure determination to not let this beat me. I still can't figure out of I was just crap at it or it was deliberately tough to force you into co-op play.

Spelunky - I'd seen people breezing through it and having a great time. Yet I have only ever got past the initial cave stages once despite watching loads of playthroughs and trying all the tactics. More often than not it was a big fall or those bloody dart things that finished me off. A really fun game, superb music, slick control. But when it comes to fast and accurate I've just not got what it takes, clearly. A good case of never watch shit on Youtube because they make it look like a piece of cake.

• Upvote 2

I'm generally really terrible at games.

But Ori I've tried twice, and never finished. Don't laugh.

I won't even go near Bloodborne or Dark Souls.

9 minutes ago, Vimster said:

The Division - I really wanted to like this, great setting and plenty to do. The initial tutorial mission was really really hard, I attempted it multiple times and after a lot of effort managed to get through it. Should have stopped there but I was determined to get it. However once I'd unlocked the HQ and had to start on the missions to rescue people to staff it it just went to shit. Despite trying again and again and again I'd get ambushed, rushed, outgunned. It got to the point where it was no fun at all, just pure determination to not let this beat me. I still can't figure out of I was just crap at it or it was deliberately tough to force you into co-op play.

Hmm, I've been through the start of The Division three times and it's no cakewalk solo but I wouldn't call it particularly difficult. It definitely seems more weighted to co-op play though. I think it's balanced around the idea of players reviving each other. If you die solo after grinding down a boss and have to do the whole thing again - I guess that's quite tiresome.

Another vote for Bloodborne. I was reasonably cocky going in after finishing Dark Souls 3 without any co-op (bar 2 bosses) but BB is just another level of tough. Made it up to Vicar Amelia/Blood Starved Beast but couldn't manage either. The loss of the Estus flask made replaying sections even more grueling.

19 minutes ago, Vimster said:

I gave up on my first run through too. It sucked. There was a patch that came out later that rebalanced things, but only to an extent. Some bosses really sucked as far as difficulty goes. They practically required hiding somewhere they couldn't reach you and slowly grinding them down. My second attempt post-patch was far more successful than my first, and after you got about 30% through you should have some guns that absolutely hammer the normal baddies. Grinding a lower level area before tackling some of the later missions really helps too.

Slightly surprising too because Ubisoft games are usually pretty good for difficultly.

21 minutes ago, Illyria said:

But Ori I've tried twice, and never finished. Don't laugh.

I gave up on Ori too. Beautiful game, but some of the wall-jump-between-the-thorns sections were just shit.

• Upvote 1

Some of the more bonkers bullet hell games. I don't enjoy playing arcade games as a learned, perfect run aggro-ballet - much prefer me vs the chaos without a clue as to what's coming or how to cope. Some of the more extreme bullet hell deals really prohibit that playstyle.

23 minutes ago, ChrisN said:

I gave up on my first run through too. It sucked. There was a patch that came out later that rebalanced things, but only to an extent. Some bosses really sucked as far as difficulty goes. They practically required hiding somewhere they couldn't reach you and slowly grinding them down. My second attempt post-patch was far more successful than my first, and after you got about 30% through you should have some guns that absolutely hammer the normal baddies. Grinding a lower level area before tackling some of the later missions really helps too.

Slightly surprising too because Ubisoft games are usually pretty good for difficultly.

I'd have paid good money to remove the baseball bat guys from the game entirely. Then I might just have been able to do all that.

Chalk up another one for Bloodborne. It's a shame as I *love* the aesthetic, and it's clearly a brilliant brilliant game, but I've not even reached the first boss. It's so unforgiving, and I don't have the patience to keep trying. Because of this I've never bothered even trying Dark Souls.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Some of the more bonkers bullet hell games. I don't enjoy playing arcade games as a learned, perfect run aggro-ballet - much prefer me vs the chaos without a clue as to what's coming or how to cope. Some of the more extreme bullet hell deals really prohibit that playstyle.

Just to offer an opposing view, my memory is terrible so this is exactly why I prefer the more modern bullet hell games with more yet slower bullets, they allow you to get by on reaction time and split second strategizing rather than it being more of a memory test like the old-school games that had fewer yet faster bullets and sniper tanks and death traps and the like.

• Upvote 1

On 14/01/2019 at 11:14, U-1 said:

Best Saber on expert

Can't see me ever mastering it but by God I'm having fun trying. 

I managed to get through Legend on expert the other day. I felt absolutely boss when I did it and only missed a note 3 times.

But Bloodborne for me, even though I did get quite far, I felt it was still stupidly hard. I had to summon on all bosses.

On 14/01/2019 at 14:56, dizogg said:

The Die Hard with a Vengeance level in Die Hard Trilogy. Nah mate. Has anyone ever completed that?

Oh, chalked me up as another one who couldn't do this. Infact the whole game I found really difficult, I don't think I ever really got far on any of the game modes.

• Upvote 1

I like difficult games like Celeste where you can go back and retry immediately. When a death means I lose a load of progress, my interest often goes with it.

• Upvote 5

I dismissed Dark Souls 3 as too hard. But, not too hard, just not enjoyably too hard.

To explain - I really wanted a balls hard challenge. But I wanted to just die a lot. I just think the game should have been built around really quickly getting you back on your feet to try again.

After a while the "you died" message starts to feel like it takes forever. the loading times just meant that in the end, it felt like more downtime than uptime. I could have done with more checkpoints, because the lack just felt like artificial challenge. 

I know this discussion has been done, but I just wanted to say that I didn't want anything about the core gameplay or difficulty to change, I just want less delay

59 minutes ago, dizogg said:

The Die Hard with a Vengeance level in Die Hard Trilogy. Nah mate. Has anyone ever completed that?

the driving one? yeah I did

On all my playthroughs of Uncharted 2 I've given up in disgust at the final boss and watched the ending on youtube :lol: 

• Upvote 1

Any driving game when the fastest cars are unlocked. Could be anything from Gran Turismo to Wipeout, but as soon as the real beasts are available I'll be scraping along walls, bumping into everything and getting lapped. 

Back in the day - Lunar Jetman. Wanted to like it, but no.

• Upvote 3