rllmuk
wev

Best New Music 2019

On 25/09/2019 at 13:16, Art Vandelay said:

I've not seen too much chat about it, but the new Kindness album, Something Like a War is really very good indeed. Like their other material, it's a powerful brew of D'Angelo, Arthur Russell, avant-garde pop, Robyn, floaty snippets of early 90s garage house, wonky disco, new jack swing and lovely warm synths. It's all those things but absolutely sounds like next week. Adam Bainbridge is amazing and they should be a national treasure.

Really enjoying this. Any of their previous stuff worth checking? Never heard of them before. Some light research revealed that they produced the wonderful Cranes in the Sky for Solange and that Phillipe Zdar mixed the new album, which is probably why it sounds so good. 

Glad you enjoyed it! Their last two albums Otherness and World, You Need a Change of Mind are pretty much it in terms of output, but those are both brilliant. You'd have heard SEOD before as that was huge.

They've handily made this though which covers some production for other folks.

Also, there's this which defies classification. 

• Upvote 1

So how am I only now discovering 

The Claypool Lennon Delirium. 

Tis a dream come true for a Primus and Psychedelia era Beatles fan. 

South of Reality is the album and its superb Imo. 

Wasn't feeling the new Chromatic but need to give it another listen. 

• Upvote 1

I just learned that 落差草原 WWWW / Prairie WWWW appear on a track on the new Battles record, and realised that I'd neglected to post about my favourite record of last year, so I'm cheating and doing it now.

They're from Taipei and make defiantly experimental, psychedelic folk ....rock? Whatever it is, 盤/Pán is a record full of neat ideas and distinctive percussion and I really hope more people check them out now. They have a decade or so of music out there and it's all interesting.

https://prairiewwww.bandcamp.com/

Also Beijing's Chui Wan have put out some of my favourite records of the last few years, mostly in a vaguely Krautrock-influenced style. The stuff they've released from the upcoming record seems to have veered in a folkier and more gently romantic than the previous ones, though. I'm into it so far.

I’ve actually really gone off the new Cugarettes After Sex album, fast, after giving it a bit more than just a casual listen. At first it sounded fine, maybe not as strong as their debut but treading very familiar ground, maybe too familiar, to the point it becomes almost pastiche at times. But the real problem is the lyrics, the more I listen to it there’s this sense that the singer is just a bit too creepy, and that it’s not uncomfortable to listen to because it’s challenging but because he just doesn’t appear to have a filter, at all. It’s not sexy or daring or even shocking really, just a bit vile really. 

On 21/10/2019 at 19:55, Stanley said:

I like the Chromatics album but it’s different to the last one.

It's great. Definitely a touch more poppy and less sprawling and cinematic than Kill for Love. I'd assume Dear Tommy if it ever comes out will be closer to KFL in that regard.

I can't get over how good On the Wall is in particular - actually better than the original, which I can't say for any other Jesus & Mary Chain cover I've heard.

It's kinda mad how much Chromatics have changed since those early GSL days, but there was a period around 2007-ish where Jewel seemed to have commandeered about half the Portland music scene in pursuit of the sound he was after. 

Kinda given up on getting any more Glass Candy at this point, though, which is a shame. 

• Upvote 1

I haven't heard anything by him in ages, that sounds a lot nicer/less silly than I remember. Not that I had a problem with the old stuff and I suppose the video could still count.

On 21/10/2019 at 08:48, cassidy said:

So how am I only now discovering 

The Claypool Lennon Delirium. 

Tis a dream come true for a Primus and Psychedelia era Beatles fan. 

South of Reality is the album and its superb Imo. 

Oooh, never heard of these before. Really like this album,  I checked out their Monolith Of Phobos lp as well and that’s also a cracker.

FKA Twig's new album is an absolutely exceptional piece of work.

So much so that I might make a thread.

I don't understand how someone can be so talented across so many disciplines

• Upvote 1

Not a recommendation as such, but I listened to the Kamaal Williams DJ Kicks album earlier. God almighty what a mess. Some killer selections, but must be the worst commercially available mix I’ve ever heard. There’s been some really duff entries into that series recently, but this is something else. The sequencing is non-existent and – I hate to be this guy – the mixing is beyond bad. There’s just so many mistakes and weird bits where tracks drop out at odd points or can be heard faintly in the background still. Just get Logic to do it all for you if you’re stuck. Honestly charging money for this is bordering on a piss take. Buyers beware!

https://open.spotify.com/album/4i2eCV6Y7R5yn0Ykw4qIPS?si=1D3B6Nj9TcWg4VYOl2Tk0A

I know right? I just wish artists would just put together a mix with a bit of consideration to the actual listener rather than showing off how many genres they can awkwardly traverse in an hour. The Leon Vynhall one was guilty of that too.

My kingdom for another Motor City Drum Ensemble.